P500 Honda Pioneer 500, 2017 Gear Improvements!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well, I've got several GPS apps on my phone, and my bike is stock tires and wheels... 40 mph on the speedometer = 35 on GPS.

It's as if Honda KNOWS 24" stock wheels and tires will be replaced with larger... And they just sorta cheated the bike without having to answer to the legality of it. Same w the high torque/ low gears... Bigger tires seem to be the answer. Better fit, even.

But the minute you swap those tires, it' gonna give Honda a lot of relief when it comes to turnovers and warranty.

"Not liable... Our engineers didnt design that bike to use larger than 24 inch tires."

But the speedometer is off... I'm telling you. Stock.

My speedo shows 39 mph WFO on level pavement and GPS shows 37 mph. That is running true size 26.4" tall Roctane tires, the OEM measures 23" & change.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
How about the suspension will it be upgraded to the Canadian P5 suspension or will it remain the same. If it is upgraded that would mean that we should be able to purchase the new suspension soon to make ouwers ride better.

J

Jshell3

My speedo shows 39 mph WFO on level pavement and GPS shows 37 mph. That is running true size 26.4" tall Roctane tires, the OEM measures 23" & change.

Yep. 28's should be spot on then. Lol

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I
How about the suspension will it be upgraded to the Canadian P5 suspension or will it remain the same. If it is upgraded that would mean that we should be able to purchase the new suspension soon to make ouwers ride better.
I got mine to 42 on the speedo on pavement and 40 on the GPS with 26" zellas. With 10 PSI.

Reactions: jak9922 and Jshell3
J

JTW

I really hate being the Guinea pig but I'll let you all know.. This makes my tire buying decision a lot more difficult. I really hate to loose even more bottom end now with the gear change but who knows.. Maybe it will be a good thing. I do worry it's not going to have the britches for the bottom end work.

J

JTW

Agreed on that. Looks like it may be JTW. what do you think about low gear? I sure wouldn't want to go up with it. Which makes me think. JTW stated that his friends P5 bogged down in 4 low. I bet the 2017 would be even worse with a higher low gear ratio.
The rhino that was stuck in the Mudd was stuck solid. The p500 wouldn't even spin the tires in low 4x4.. That really concerned me. I've never had anything that wouldn't break traction when hooked to an immovable object.. I suggest some of you guys try tying them to a tree and see if they'll spin. We actually all piled on the pioneer and he winched himself out using us as the anchor.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I would have to agree. I have always been interested in the P5 since its debut. I have read a lot of reviews that criticize the low top speed of the P5 which is my primary concern. I hope they gear it for a little more top speed for '17.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of the first gen's requiring less sensors and switches with a manual only transmission. Simple and less to go wrong. And the '16's are priced very reasonable right now! Decisions...decisions!
If top speed is your primary concern, this is not the machine for you. If you value low-end grunt and being able to slowwwly crawl down a steep rocky incline without touching your brake, this is your rig.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm still trying to reconcile the torque at a standstill. 16/30 vs 22/40. I'm more concerned about the 16 vs 22.
Something else has to be changing or you will see a reduction in starting torque.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
The rhino that was stuck in the Mudd was stuck solid. The p500 wouldn't even spin the tires in low 4x4.. That really concerned me. I've never had anything that wouldn't break traction when hooked to an immovable object.. I suggest some of you guys try tying them to a tree and see if they'll spin. We actually all piled on the pioneer and he winched himself out using us as the anchor.

Mine has no problems spinning the tires in 4x4 low gear, ive attempted to pull out some stumps that wouldnt budge and they spun easily. Something doesnt sound right with that rig.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The pioneer has a 475cc motor!!! That may be the smallest in sxs's. And I assure you that the taller you go with tires, the worse that gets. I just can't believe there's people running 28's and 30's on a tippy, low horsepower P5.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If top speed is your primary concern, this is not the machine for you. If you value low-end grunt and being able to slowwwly crawl down a steep rocky incline without touching your brake, this is your rig.
Exactly!!!

J

JTW

Mine has no problems spinning the tires in 4x4 low gear, ive attempted to pull out some stumps that wouldnt budge and they spun easily. Something doesnt sound right with that rig.
I dunno.. Peddle was to the floor and 4 of us were on it. He has 25" slingshots on it. The rhino was pulling down on us from the mud hole.. So maybe there was just too much traction. I dunno.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I

I got mine to 42 on the speedo on pavement and 40 on the GPS with 26" zellas. With 10 PSI.
I've had mine to 42 several times, dirt roads and pavement. Blinks 43 for a sec and then the limiter kicks in.
26" BH 2.0's at 9 psi. Can't imagine not being able to turn the tires with the granny gear. Something's up with that P5.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Spacers!! :D
I fail to see how a spacer will overcome the loss of tork due to having to turn a larger diameter wheel????

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I dunno.. Peddle was to the floor and 4 of us were on it. He has 25" slingshots on it. The rhino was pulling down on us from the mud hole.. So maybe there was just too much traction. I dunno.
It probably was a combination of too much traction, added weight, and that wee 475 doing all it could. Too many people jump on the P5 thinking its going to be like a Rhino, RZR or a Polaris...........it's not. It's the funnest trail machine I've ever had, and for going trail riding, I wouldn't take for it.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You were talking about tippy...o_O
Actually, I was talking about the loss of power and tork associated with a 475 cc motor turning 30's. Tippy was thrown in as always.

Reactions: JTW
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would not do any gear changes to my P500, I'm happy now and dont see any reason to mess with it on gear level :)

Once you find your girl , there will be millions updated, loaded and so on, if you still continue to "grow" with it then no reason to change it :)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!