P500 Honda Pioneer 500, 2017 Gear Improvements!

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW I have never ran out of torque, not once. I have pulled buggies out of the muck at just off idle and I climb hills that I really shouldn't have due to the real concern of death. With that said my tires do not have tight tread to hold mud and they are skinny, wide tires would eat more power in the soup than these. If you look at the actual power to the ground by something like a 2008 Teryx with a carb or a Rhino etc..and that snowmobile/golf cart belt technology the P5 has less parasitic waste of power and more usable power down low due to less slippage in the drive line. And those buggies have much larger engines.

EDIT to add, the power to weight ratio of the P5 compared to the 700 is the same.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just saw the tippy sooo....;)
I see. Well the Yellow Jacket still has stock tires and we are no longer always in the same gear. Often he'll be ahead of me pulling a grade in second too slowly for me and I have to grab low. That's what I was talking about with the idea of guys running 28's and 30's. From my experience that will be taxing on the P5.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I see. Well the Yellow Jacket still has stock tires and we are no longer always in the same gear. Often he'll be ahead of me pulling a grade in second too slowly for me and I have to grab low. That's what I was talking about with the idea of guys running 28's and 30's. From my experience that will be taxing on the P5.
Those 30's look BA though. Ground clearance would be way better. Risk and reward.
After reading about losing the low end, maybe this thread shouldn't be titled improvements.

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Those 30's look BA though. Ground clearance would be way better. Risk and reward.
After reading about losing the low end, maybe this thread shouldn't be titled improvements.
Haha, really. Yep it's all about risk and reward. At twenty six inches, I'm maxed. like I said, the YJ is climbing in second at a speed that mine will now be lugging, a big risk for the clutch. I almost always took off in second with stock tires, not as much with 26's on any incline.

J

JTW

It probably was a combination of too much traction, added weight, and that wee 475 doing all it could. Too many people jump on the P5 thinking its going to be like a Rhino, RZR or a Polaris...........it's not. It's the funnest trail machine I've ever had, and for going trail riding, I wouldn't take for it.
Yup.. I was just very surprised it still didn't spin. I would have thought low gear was low enough to compensate for the hp. But there was a s*** load of downward pressure between all of us on the front and winching tight off the back. It did provide enough traction as an anchor point for him to pull himself out.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
C

Chooglin

I don't want to come across as being a jerk , but everyone needs to realize the limitations of a 1, 100# machine with a 475 cc engine that is a 50" width. For the price and size of this machine , it truly is a little tank. I can't speak for the 17 model, being that there is a gear change , but I really don't believe it will be a huge difference in the gear reduction.
I am yet to get in a situation this machine can't handle, because I know it's limitations !!
When I first drove this thing, I thought, man this thing is tippy, but in reality, it was just me (never owning a sxs) the more miles you put on the machine , the more comfortable you become with it !!!
It will have no problem with a 26" tire...............low gear is like driving a mountain goat !!!

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I don't want to come across as being a jerk , but everyone needs to realize the limitations of a 1, 100# machine with a 475 cc engine that is a 50" width. For the price and size of this machine , it truly is a little tank. I can't speak for the 17 model, being that there is a gear change , but I really don't believe it will be a huge difference in the gear reduction.
I am yet to get in a situation this machine can't handle, because I know it's limitations !!
When I first drove this thing, I thought, man this thing is tippy, but in reality, it was just me (never owning a sxs) the more miles you put on the machine , the more comfortable you become with it !!!
It will have no problem with a 26" tire...............low gear is like driving a mountain goat !!!
You are correct (not the coming across as a jerk part) that people have to realize its limitations; as does every machine. No one machine can be all things to all people. You need to assess how you're going to use it and what your needs are, then you can begin to find a machine with the right fit for you.

advertisement
J

JTW

Prick!! Lol..
But yes, you're absolutely right. I've come to the conclusion that 26x9x12 will probably be the best fit for me. I'm undecided on wheels just yet. Most likely will but we shall see.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Prick!! Lol..
But yes, you're absolutely right. I've come to the conclusion that 26x9x12 will probably be the best fit for me. I'm undecided on wheels just yet. Most likely will but we shall see.
I think your going to love the 500 regardless of the tire size and width.........honda really did a great job with this little machine IMO !!

J

Jf500

Aug 16, 2016
New york
Ownership

1. 500
Just put a down payment on a 2017 today. They say it will be in within 2-3weeks. I am more than happy to take any pics and give any reviews needed. I do plan on doing my own video review. This will be my first sxs so any advice or suggestions on my review would be appreciated!!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My only advice would be to spend some hard time on this machine before offering any review. Not just behind the wheel either.
Throw on some accessories, do a little wrenching and get a feel for how it's put together.
Don't expect it to be the black stallion that runs 60 mph, more like the stumpy little pack horse that carries twice his weight...
long after the stallion is glue. It's a Honda! :)

J

Jf500

Aug 16, 2016
New york
Ownership

1. 500
My only advice would be to spend some hard time on this machine before offering any review. Not just behind the wheel either.
Throw on some accessories, do a little wrenching and get a feel for how it's put together.
Don't expect it to be the black stallion that runs 60 mph, more like the stumpy little pack horse that carries twice his weight...
long after the stallion is glue. It's a Honda! :)
I've def done my research and am not expecting a "black stallion" I know what this rig is and know what it's used for and it's capabilities. That's why I went with a 500 and not the 1000 or the new all sport version that honda is supposedly building. My expectations for this 500 is for it to be a deer hauler and a fun toy. My reviews will be a first day experience, a first ride experience, and a improve the list I plan. I def wanna put in some hours and def wanna do some mods. Just looking for some opinions on what other people want to see.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just put a down payment on a 2017 today. They say it will be in within 2-3weeks. I am more than happy to take any pics and give any reviews needed. I do plan on doing my own video review. This will be my first sxs so any advice or suggestions on my review would be appreciated!!
Excited for a good review of a '17 model. I'm really debating on either a '17 P500, or waiting to see if Honda introduces a new model that is comparable to Yamaha's Wolverine (might be waiting awhile). What color did you order?

J

JTW

I've def done my research and am not expecting a "black stallion" I know what this rig is and know what it's used for and it's capabilities. That's why I went with a 500 and not the 1000 or the new all sport version that honda is supposedly building. My expectations for this 500 is for it to be a deer hauler and a fun toy. My reviews will be a first day experience, a first ride experience, and a improve the list I plan. I def wanna put in some hours and def wanna do some mods. Just looking for some opinions on what other people want to see.
What size tire will you run? Lol..

My only thought as I'm in the same boat as you. Waiting on the 17. See what your dealer will allow you on stock wheels and tires. For me it's worth the upgrade new.

J

Jf500

Aug 16, 2016
New york
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered green and am planning on running stock to really see what it's capable of out of the box. Then I'll start exploring mods.

J

Jf500

Aug 16, 2016
New york
Ownership

1. 500
What size tire will you run? Lol..

My only thought as I'm in the same boat as you. Waiting on the 17. See what your dealer will allow you on stock wheels and tires. For me it's worth the upgrade new.
My dealer seems pretty cool about mods. I'll give all details on purchase. I'll def test my dealer on mods. I got the extra 3 year extended warranty as it was half off. So that will give me 4years of full coverage.

J

JTW

How much on the warranty? I've got green coming too. September 8th'ish is when they're supposed to get it in.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!