P500 Honda Pioneer 500, 2017 Gear Improvements!

H

HondaTech

You're sure of this?? Do you work for Honda?

Yes, and the message they sent isn't clear in my head, but I know they were delayed. I can't remember till when, I'll have to look it up again.

As far as the auto mode goes, Honda uses 1 of 3 ways to shift their auto trans. Dct, Hondamatic, or the 700P torque converter trans. None of these are present in the P500 now or in any of the parts fish I can find of the '17 model. I can't wait to see the service manual on how it works.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
J

JTW

Yes, and the message they sent isn't clear in my head, but I know they were delayed. I can't remember till when, I'll have to look it up again.

As far as the auto mode goes, Honda uses 1 of 3 ways to shift their auto trans. Dct, Hondamatic, or the 700P torque converter trans. None of these are present in the P500 now or in any of the parts fish I can find of the '17 model. I can't wait to see the service manual on how it works.
Well good.. Any more info you have or can find I'd sure appreciate.. Seems like I need have a b**** fit with the salesman this week!

Reactions: wildbill
H

HondaTech

Just looked at the retail forecast for the rest of year, apparently the 500 is set to release this month. Orders placed in Sept, will release Nov, Oct-Dec, ect. I'm only a tech, so I don't know when the orders were placed for what units. But I vaguely remember a bulletin about delayed shipment. Can't find it now.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
J

JTW

Just looked at the retail forecast for the rest of year, apparently the 500 is set to release this month. Orders placed in Sept, will release Nov, Oct-Dec, ect. I'm only a tech, so I don't know when the orders were placed for what units. But I vaguely remember a bulletin about delayed shipment. Can't find it now.
I see.. I ordered my in August.

J

JTW

Lol. I'm just playing with ya buddy. Hold out for the P5, I need a review on the changes!!! :)
Lol.. I know. But I'm missing good riding weather and I don't think much of salesmen whom are liars! They got until the first!

advertisement
J

JTW

Did you like the CVT in the Wolverine ? I've never driven one, but hope they are a whole lot better than the Polaris, AC, Can-Am CVT.
The Kawasaki isn't too bad, but from the all the CVT SxS's I've driven, I don't really care for any of them. I like the way they work for the most part on the ATV's, but not SxS's.
It's like a rhino.. The only CVT I would buy would be Yamaha. They're fine just a bit more noise that I don't care for. I had a 660 grizzly before with no issues.

H

HondaTech

It's like a rhino.. The only CVT I would buy would be Yamaha. They're fine just a bit more noise that I don't care for. I had a 660 grizzly before with no issues.

Same here, I'm all Honda but if I had to buy a CVT, Yamaha would be the only choice.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Same here, I'm all Honda but if I had to buy a CVT, Yamaha would be the only choice.
Yup.. I'm really surprised they didn't come out with a smaller sized machine. They could have done the same thing Honda has only used a 700 Grizzly and it would be a beast!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Wow ! Great thought . My Honda Pioneer 500 with my 16 Grizzly 700 drive train . Ya know , that would be dangerous .
I like my p5 just the way it is although it is a tempting idea .

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Wow ! Great thought . My Honda Pioneer 500 with my 16 Grizzly 700 drive train . Ya know , that would be dangerous .
I like my p5 just the way it is although it is a tempting idea .
I know.. It would be BA!! Little more power, speed and traction!!

J

JTW

Hopefully they would do alot better than the old Rhino if they built a new SxS to compete in the 50" market. Those were a very unimpressive machine to me. I've been around them very little, but enough to know I wouldn't have one o_O. Loud, vibrating, heavy steering, pita to do maintenance on.................
Well, I somewhat have to disagree with ya.. Yes, they're loud. But they're bullet proof and there are A LOT of them still out there going strong. The fuel injected, power steering models, in good shape, still go for about what a new p500 does. They've got a lot more power and a locker. But the noise is what kills them for me.. I completly agree with you there.

Reactions: Talen
J

JTW

I agree they were tough machines. The one's I've been around just didn't impress me. They felt like there was a lot of rolling resistance, like it was a job to get them to take off. It's been awhile, but thought I remembered them being a little too high geared in high. I wasn't aware they made any with P/S, but I guess the ones I was around were the older ones. They definitely need that.
I'm just not a cvt SxS fan. The gear driven transmissions are so much "crisper".
I know I call out Honda on alot of stuff, but they are still the only brand SxS I would consider.
I think ps was an aftermarket option.. I know what you mean on the other points. And clearly.. Here I am still waiting on a Honda!

J

JTW

We run all the SxS's in and out every day, and I still like to drive the P500 better than the other Honda's and Kawi's. They are just fun to tool around in and I like the size of them.
The size it what has me..

Reactions: lipcurl
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!