P500 Honda Pioneer 500, 2017 Gear Improvements!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I agree, not my grass I worry about because I don't drive on it. But I have a mile of gravel roads on my ranch that I meticulously maintain and I hate that my P5 is constantly breaking the gravel loose which then washes in the rain causing increased maintenance efforts. My PoPo that people love to hate doesn't do that, like a car, it has one wheel drive mode. At least Honda has that on its other brands.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I agree, not my grass I worry about because I don't drive on it. But I have a mile of gravel roads on my ranch that I meticulously maintain and I hate that my P5 is constantly breaking the gravel loose which then washes in the rain causing increased maintenance efforts. My PoPo that people love to hate doesn't do that, like a car, it has one wheel drive mode. At least Honda has that on its other brands.
I run on some grass, just straight through the yard though, so that doesn't really bother me.
Monte's right, it does do a number on the gravel in my driveway. That's where I load and unload. Just dragged it again 2 wks ago.
It would turn tighter/easier in turf mode too...adding to its already nimble characteristics. Better mpg maybe? o_O

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I want to throw something out there re: the low P5 top speed-

Since the P5 is more a workhorse like the Kubota RTV, TS gator etc, 40 mph is like a god send. What I really like is that I can go 25 just idling along in 5th compared to being WFO on a Kubota. We have an RTV-1120X on the ranch you need ear muffs at 25 mph. I know 40 is nothing compared to RZRs and the like but compared to other "utility" SXSs its like light speed.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I want to throw something out there re: the low P5 top speed-

Since the P5 is more a workhorse like the Kubota RTV, TS gator etc, 40 mph is like a god send. What I really like is that I can go 25 just idling along in 5th compared to being WFO on a Kubota. We have an RTV-1120X on the ranch you need ear muffs at 25 mph. I know 40 is nothing compared to RZRs and the like but compared to other "utility" SXSs its like light speed.
I could not agree with you more. That's my favorite speed in 5th, so long as it's relatively flat. Besides, I'd hate to see the poor soul that wrecked a SxS (short as it is on protection when compared to modern vehicles) at 60 mph.

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I was a little worried about the low top-end of the P500 when I was researching before I bought mine. We have had 6 Honda fourwheelers over the years and none of them had a speedo. I grabbed my GPS and drove through the woods and realized I'm normally cruising around 25 mph. Once I realized how easily the P5 does that speed I was sold. There's a guy down the road from me with a Kawasaki Mule and I can hear him coming a long way before he gets to my property because that thing is wound up something fierce going 25.

H

HondaTech

I was just skimming through the parts fish for 2017 model and can't for the life of me figure out how the auto trans will work. I consider myself very mechanically inclined but I don't see anything different between the '17 and the '15-'16 models. I was expecting the dct from the Rubicon but don't see anything resembling that. In fact the engine is pretty much the same as last two years. I'd love to see how Honda shifts this thing in auto mode without using the dct, I mean there is no valve body, solenoids or anything. HMMM.....

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I was just skimming through the parts fish for 2017 model and can't for the life of me figure out how the auto trans will work. I consider myself very mechanically inclined but I don't see anything different between the '17 and the '15-'16 models. I was expecting the dct from the Rubicon but don't see anything resembling that. In fact the engine is pretty much the same as last two years. I'd love to see how Honda shifts this thing in auto mode without using the dct, I mean there is no valve body, solenoids or anything. HMMM.....

Thats interesting. You gotta think its not gonna be real smooth. They must be using the throttle position, rpm, speed, gear indicator, etc to have some sort rudimentary automatic mode.

J

JTW

Thats interesting. You gotta think its not gonna be real smooth. They must be using the throttle position, rpm, speed, gear indicator, etc to have some sort rudimentary automatic mode.
I hope it's not a turd!

J

JTW

Maybe that's what's taking so long to get them out.. They haven't figured it out either!

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
They keep saying it should be anytime.. The salesman "assured" me it would be in before the end of the month.. I'm not holding my breath!
I'm growing impatient myself just wanting to know if it's an improvement over the first two production years.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
J

JTW

dealers get notice at least a week or two in advance of the expected shipping date, then again when the unit is shipped.
My understand is that they've been notified.. But waiting on the actual ship date.

H

HondaTech

Late October/ Early November is the earliest we'll see any '17 models. Honda pushed atv/sxs delivery back because of production issues.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The '15-'16 P500's probably have all the hardware required to make it shift automatically. They probably just had to create a shift program for the "auto mode".

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!