Honda Pioneer 500 Torq Locker test/review

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Right on. Got a locker sitting at home but no time to install yet. Been hopeful it’s not too bad without power steering

Reactions: jay_man81
Miss_Oak

Miss_Oak

Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2016
California
Ownership

1. 500
Great video Jay! I am not mechanical at all nor do i want to be. Haha I had been trying to follow along about what a locker does... your video gave me a great understanding of what the magical torq locker does. Very informational video ! Thank you :)

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Right on. Got a locker sitting at home but no time to install yet. Been hopeful it’s not too bad without power steering

Fast twisty trails will wear down your arms, it is harder to steer but not very hard. I switched out of 4wd on the fast twisty trails with hard cut backs and then switched back into 4wd when needed. We only did 1 maybe 2 fast twisty trail, the rest were game on rock crawling 2 foot ledges and step ups with a lot of steep terrain. The locker impressed me going down trails that I knew I had issues with before. Point the wheels and pull yourself through was the mantra for the day.

I did do a massive step up that was very difficult and if I had a little longer Wheel base the P500 might have crawled right out of it. My true issue was I high centered and had to have @Tramguage1 assist me with a winch for a portion of it. Safety First gents! I’ll let Tramguage1 describe that one from his perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Fast twisty trails will wear down your arms, it is harder to steer but not very hard. I switched out of 4wd on the fast twisty trails with hard cut backs and then switched back into 4wd when needed. We only did 1 maybe 2 fast twisty trail, the rest were game on rock crawling 2 foot ledges and step ups with a lot of steep terrain. The locker impressed me going down trails that I knew I had issues with before. Point the wheels and pull yourself through was the mantra for the day.

I did do a massive step up that was very difficult and if I had a little longer Wheel base the P500 might have crawled right out of it. My true issue was I high centered and had to have @Tramguage1 assist me with a winch for a portion of it. Safety First gents! I’ll let Tramguage1 describe that one from his perspective.

Here are a couple pics of the ledge @jmcampbell54 is talking about. I think the first ledge was at a minimum of 24" maybe closer to 30"straight vertical, the second had to have been very close to 20 ". There was only maybe 8 foot between them. NO way any thing longer wheel base could have made this.
20180714 114332
I have to say also @jmcampbell54 is a very good driver,he has a good feel for his machines abilities.

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Here are a couple pics of the ledge @jmcampbell54 is talking about. I think the first ledge was at a minimum of 24" maybe closer to 30"straight vertical, the second had to have been very close to 20 ". There was only maybe 8 foot between them. NO way any thing longer wheel base could have made this.
View attachment 81069
I have to say also @jmcampbell54 is a very good driver,he has a good feel for his machines abilities.

Ahh come on, I just point the wheels and SEND IT!!!

Best thing about the P500 is learning the machine and what it can do, very easily translates to other larger machines. Find the limits, stay within the limits and think of how in the hell am I going to get out of this if it goes wrong...then send it!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!