Honda Talon 1000X-4 Live Valve Pointers

N

natedawg9486

Jun 11, 2021
US
I am about to pickup my new Honda Talon 1000X-4 Live Valve and was hoping for a few tips and hints for stuff to keep in mind on it.

I am sure everything is captured in one thread or another but if anyone wants to throw some topics out there without me having to dig I would appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TxDoc
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I am about to pickup my new Honda Talon 1000X-4 Live Valve and was hoping for a few tips and hints for stuff to keep in mind on it.

I am sure everything is captured in one thread or another but if anyone wants to throw some topics out there without me having to dig I would appreciate it.

SKINNY PEDAL = GO FAT PEDAL = STOP . The Talon will do the rest .

N

natedawg9486

Jun 11, 2021
US
SKINNY PEDAL = GO FAT PEDAL = STOP . The Talon will do the rest .
Thanks Huck! Just so I'm clear, I don't need to touch that round turny thang in front of me after pressing the go pedal?

• Haha
Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Huck! Just so I'm clear, I don't need to touch that round turny thang in front of me after pressing the go pedal?

Not if the ruts are deep enough. 😉

Reactions: HUCK
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Check this thread...

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

WELLL. Some problems do occur by the nut holding the wheel on , being loose . Use your best judgment on that .

N

natedawg9486

Jun 11, 2021
US
Check this thread...

Thanks Paul! This seems really helpful!

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The PaulF link has a lot of good suggestions starting with having the dealer so you how to check all you fluids, while at the dealership. That way you know your fluid levels are where they should be from the factory.

Reactions: CID and Remington
N

natedawg9486

Jun 11, 2021
US
The PaulF link has a lot of good suggestions starting with having the dealer so you how to check all you fluids, while at the dealership. That way you know your fluid levels are where they should be from the factory.
Good point Enigma! As I am currently out of town, I am picking it up on Thursday so I will keep that in mind!

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would go through the PaulF post before you pick up your beautiful new Honda. Those suggestions will give you peace of mind when you pull away from the dealership to enjoy your new honda. This club (Honda SXS) can help you with technical questions and and save you a lot of money (and pain) as you enjoy your new toy. Congratulations !!!!!

advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the simplest, most important piece of advice to give any new owner of a Honda is:

Full stop and idle before any shifting!

Anything less, and you'll be putting new gears in the box in no time.

Reactions: CID and ToolTime
N

natedawg9486

Jun 11, 2021
US
Hey All,

Thanks for participating in the thread and helping me with pointers on the Honda. It is quite a bit better than my 2017 Maverick. Since I got it in late June I still haven't hit the trails yet. I've only driven her up and down my road a few times on the little stock tire. I'm heading to Windrock next weekend to make her maiden voyage. I wanted to get all the necessaries on before putting her in the dirt and mud.
Feel free to throw out any last minute tips or tricks to keep in mind on the trials. 2156717c903c6b0c6f66e9e48fb9b317

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think the simplest, most important piece of advice to give any new owner of a Honda is:

Full stop and idle before any shifting!

Anything less, and you'll be putting new gears in the box in no time.

Hey All,

Thanks for participating in the thread and helping me with pointers on the Honda. It is quite a bit better than my 2017 Maverick. Since I got it in late June I still haven't hit the trails yet. I've only driven her up and down my road a few times on the little stock tire. I'm heading to Windrock next weekend to make her maiden voyage. I wanted to get all the necessaries on before putting her in the dirt and mud.
Feel free to throw out any last minute tips or tricks to keep in mind on the trials. View attachment 290677

What Dave said. ALWAYS look for a gear letter on the dashboard (R, H, L), if there's a dash (-), you aren't in gear. Most especially when shifting into Low range when cold (including 80* at the trailhead).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!