Talon Honda Talon Shift Problem, Pioneer 1000 too.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@hondabob when you say you "warm up" the rig before shifting into low what does that entail? The sub trans (transfer case) is a separate unit with separate oil & no cooling system connection that I'm aware of, are you driving it for a few miles first?

Reactions: Mudwing
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
$1200 for 5 yr. warranty. thats $20 a month This a little more than my insurance on it.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The engine heat transfers to the sub trans plus I'm using 0w40 Maxima full synethic motorcycle oil in my sub trans and that may be helping some. I can get it in low range on cold start but I have to sometimes move it just a little in high range.

Reactions: 906UP
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The extra over shift into low works great. Without the stage 3 shift gate it was difficult getting into low on a cold start. It was 40 to 60 degrees but after a good warm up it was like new. I'm over 11,000 miles now and everything works just like new. I still wiggle the shifter to make sure its fully into gear. With the stage 3 shift gate I hold the shifter to the right to wiggle it then to the left into the shift gate where the shifter is at the front of the shift gate without any preload. I could modify the stock shift gate for more over shift into low but I would just hate to cut into the steel frame work. Thanks again Paul for the shift gate.

Reactions: TripleB and PaulF
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The extra over shift into low works great. Without the stage 3 shift gate it was difficult getting into low on a cold start. It was 40 to 60 degrees but after a good warm up it was like new. I'm over 11,000 miles now and everything works just like new. I still wiggle the shifter to make sure its fully into gear. With the stage 3 shift gate I hold the shifter to the right to wiggle it then to the left into the shift gate where the shifter is at the front of the shift gate without any preload. I could modify the stock shift gate for more over shift into low but I would just hate to cut into the steel frame work. Thanks again Paul for the shift gate.
Bob, you are very welcome. I chose you for testing because of the high number of miles you put on your machine. I knew we could get a lot of testing done in a short period of time. Well done and thanks for the testing and feedback.

I took all your suggestions and made some minor tweaks to the final versions. Both seem to be as good as you can get without cutting away any metal.

I also went out riding yesterday for final testing of the Semi-Quick shift version. I purposely shifted a lot for testing and many shifts into low (a lot of them were unnecessary just trying to get as many repetitions as I could). I Purposely overshot turns so I could do 3 point turns (my riding buddy thought I was drunk). I purposely did NOT wiggle or do anything extra to make sure I was in Low, I just made sure the lever was in the Low gate and off I went. Every shift into Low engaged perfect, even the stone cold shifts Friday night when loading and Saturday morning unloading. Granted, it was a little warmer but still in the 40's.

Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome. I believe these gates will reduce (or perhaps eliminate) the "bang" issue for me and other.

Dear Honda, please take note of all of this. You are welcome to my CAD drawings (for a price :cool:).

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got my Talon back yesterday. They replaced several parts in the sub transmission due to jumping out of low gear. The shifter movement feels a lot more solid and intentional. I know it has engaged without looking at the damn indicator or easing into the skinny pedal. Before the repair, the shifter felt spongy/springy and I was reluctant to hit the skinny pedal even though the indicator showed low. I feel like there was some parts with incorrect mfg tolerances causing sticking half ass meshing of the dogs and gears. We will see how long it acts right.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks everyone who purchased, all Shift Gates orders have been shipped. Some delivered today and the rest tomorrow and Saturday. Please keep an eye out for them.

Instructions were included in a PM from me and also attached to your invoice.

If anyone needs help, please PM me.

If you have reviews and/or suggestions (good or bad), please let me know.

Reactions: TripleB
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks everyone who purchased, all Shift Gates orders have been shipped. Some delivered today and the rest tomorrow and Saturday. Please keep an eye out for them.

I think mine is arriving today, thanks for the fast shipping. My ride is going to the dealer Saturday to get a noisy axle replaced so I don't know when I will get to try it out.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Does anyone need a bone stock gate? Maybe to throw in when you take it to the dealer?

I bought an extra I was going to modify right before I saw this thread.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

I got mine, it was in the mail when we got home from RRB. Might put it in tomorrow.

Reactions: TripleB
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
Received mine as well, Thank you Paul.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd like to buy one of these for my Talon R. It's a slick design and very well thought out. How does one go about obtaining one?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd like to buy one of these for my Talon R. It's a slick design and very well thought out. How does one go about obtaining one?
I'm currently a couple weeks out so get in line., fIrst come first served. Per this post, PM me to get in line...

Reactions: CID and TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This seems like the place to ask "How to remove the shift knob?" Screwed on, set screw, pressed, epoxied?

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have the CA Tech shift plate and it works perfectly other than the paint rubbing off in the channels. I have not had any of the problems others have experienced with the stock or CA plate. Is there anyone that has gone from the CA to the one featured in this thread that can offer feedback? I like the reverse to low & reverse to high set up of the CA plate (R turning radius) and it only takes a split second to come to a complete stop and smoothly shift. IMHO I think some people believe they are driving a real car and not realizing the drivetrains origin is motorcycle technology. I also find it amazing that some people complain about having to stop to shift from low to high. Every 4x4 I have ever been in requires the same. The belt boys can't even shift out of 4WD without stopping. To me, it's the same as whining about the throttle response. if you want a mushy throttle get a belt machine.

And yeah.. That shifter handle is a b****. I rung my own bell when it came off and punched myself in the face.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!