Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Actually, I got all the batt insulation up this morning, R-30 in the ceiling and R-19 in the walls before I got snowed out. Tomorrow I will install the R-10 1” rigid foam sheeting over all that. It will be like an igloo. I left a heat lamp in the ceiling fixture and a very small forced air heater set to low when I left.
You had me worried, 12 degrees and wind is hard on plumbing, get heat taped?

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
I saw in a YouTube review on this heater that it starts to blow mediocre cold air if you are not driving and only idling, Have you found this to be true with your heater

Sorry for the delay. The video you referenced and linked isn't mine, and I haven't had the same experience as the person that made that video. There is a difference in heat level between the Talon being warmed up to full temp and just starting up, idling and sitting still. But the air even when idling at startup is plenty warm enough to clear the windshield of frost or fog. The "Inferno", though, definitely sets in when when you're putting the Talon through its paces. I raised this concern to UPI before I ordered, referenced the same video that you linked to, and expressed concern about it being able to defrost the windshield before heading out for a ride. It might be a difference in opinion or that user's system might still need to work out the air in the lines.

It's supposed to be much cooler here this weekend, so I plan to take the temperature of the air coming out of the louvers with an infrared thermometer and compare the difference between idling and full temp. That's the only way I know of to take the opinions out of the equation.

Yes it is.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the install on the heater of mine, I had drug my feet doing some research for a few days, and because it had been three years. I’ve decided to plumb my inferno heater in line into the clutch oil cooler just like the oem Honda pioneer heater is installed. I really didn’t like putting in a “Y” fitting into the clutch oil cooler supply of coolant. In order to feed the heater core hot coolant from water pump you might be taking it from more critical places, like the clutch oil cooler. The coolant system can only push so many gpm. I am by no means any sort of engineer, but why not soak mor heat from the coolant going into the clutch oil cooler. It’s how Honda decided to do it on a sister machine. Think they would know better than an after market company that probably doesn’t know these machines as well as us members do, let alone Honda engineers.After looking over the fan and it’s wimpy looking shroud, just like the pioneer. Fingers crossed that an extra 24” in length of coolant hose and a rise of 10-14” in the heater core won’t cause me anything sort of issues in coolant delivery to the clutch oil cooler.

Hope to finish it tomorrow night. I will take some temp readings after a hot lap, and also after a decent long idle

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I really didn’t like putting in a “Y” fitting into the clutch oil cooler supply of coolant. In order to feed the heater core hot coolant from water pump you might be taking it from more critical places, like the clutch oil cooler.
I am having a hard time understanding this part of your post. Inferno instructions say to put the "Y" in the Return line, not the supply. And according to the flow diagram in the service manual, the "Y" would be placed AFTER the oil cooler. These instructions seem that it would be taking hot water after the cooler, not before.

To me, it looks like if you install it this way, the heater will be acting as another radiator (that is actually bypassing the thermostat) and removing heat from the engine, am I missing here?...

Upload 2019 10 29 22 53 39

Upload 2019 10 29 22 55 45
View attachment 163703

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am having a hard time understanding this part of your post. Inferno instructions say to put the "Y" in the Return line, not the supply. And according to the flow diagram in the service manual, the "Y" would be placed AFTER the oil cooler. These instructions seem that it would be taking hot water after the cooler, not before.

To me, it looks like if you install it this way, the heater will be acting as another radiator (that is actually bypassing the thermostat) and removing heat from the engine, am I missing here?...

View attachment 163702

View attachment 163704 View attachment 163703

Oh, yea you are right. I was mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Reporting back after being able to spend some time with my Talon in colder air temperatures. We had temps in the 30's today in WV, and when the Talon was idle in a cold garage, the temperature reading on the air duct jumped to the 80's within the first couple of minutes of run time. This was while the dash indicator still read "Lo". Once the Talon was up to temp (dash indicator reading two bars), I was getting temperature readings as high as 110 degrees F. This is using just a cheap infrared thermometer from Amazon aimed at the vents.

IMG 9402

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That’s good news.....:cool:

Reactions: RideRed85
RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
Reporting back that I stayed overnight recently for a ride, and the Talon was parked outside. The next morning it was about 30 degrees F and there was a moderate frost. After about a 10 minute warm up, the frost was all softened and much of it had cleared away on its own. Really enjoying this setup.
IMG 9497 IMG 9498

Reactions: popeye
C

CRH

Nov 29, 2019
Davenport Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon X4

View attachment 163702

View attachment 163702

So the return hose from the heater core Tee's into the return hose from the radiator which would be the lowest hose underneath the water pump correct? I'm going to hook up an unbranded heater just want to make sure that I'm doing it the suggested way or if you guys have the instructions for your heater if you could just post them. Like I said I just want to do it right it seemed weird to me that would I would be pulling from the oil cooler line and then plugging into the radiator return just because it is two different loops even if it's going to same place but if that works I'm all for it. I replied to this post because of the picture not real sure how these forums work yet.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
So the return hose from the heater core Tee's into the return hose from the radiator which would be the lowest hose underneath the water pump correct? I'm going to hook up an unbranded heater just want to make sure that I'm doing it the suggested way or if you guys have the instructions for your heater if you could just post them. Like I said I just want to do it right it seemed weird to me that would I would be pulling from the oil cooler line and then plugging into the radiator return just because it is two different loops even if it's going to same place but if that works I'm all for it. I replied to this post because of the picture not real sure how these forums work yet.

Written instructions here...
https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-136786855154677/Z4920-Instructions.pdf

Pretty in depth video here...

Reactions: jasond
D

denniswestfall

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2018
US
I just got done installing the inferno heater in my 4 seater. I've got the wiper/washer. If you plan on installing both, do the heater 1st. It's sort of a pain working around the washer tank. If you plan on doing it alone, put a strip of electrical tape around the louver to keep it from spinning as you try to screw the duct back together. Also, I have a winch mounted and found the upper duct on the the drivers side could use a couple extra inches of duct hose. I could have cut the two middle ducts a few inches shorter and still have plenty. All in all not a bad job. I took my time and had it done in about 3 hours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Jumping in to add some feedback since I've also got this heater in my machine. I made the video that @PaulF posted so thanks for sharing that here.

TLDR - Nice heater and has a factory accessory look. Heat output is hotter when driving and less hot when idling. Install isn't too difficult. Keep an eye on all hose connections for a while to ensure no leaks. Make sure you have all the tools you need before starting the install.

The detailed version:

I've been running mine since September so I've used it in really hot weather (90+ F) and now in cold weather as well (20s & 30s F) and I just added the Honda OEM upper door enclosure, but haven't gotten it out in the trails yet with that so all of this feedback is based on just a full front windshield.
  • It does, essentially, act as a second radiator. In hot weather I don't think it made the cab any hotter than it was from the factory, but I do use a half windshield in the hot months.
  • At idle, the heat output is noticeably less hot than when the engine is under a load. It makes sense, though, that when the coolant temps drop = the heat output also drops.
  • The only issue I've had is the slow drip/leak at the engine side wye fitting. I discuss this in detail in the video if you want more info, but I solved it by changing to different hose clamps and using two hose clamps instead of one thicker one. The link to those hose clamps is at the bottom of the post.
  • I've got links in the video description, but you'll want to make sure you've got the necessary tools and supplies to perform the install. I've included those below for reference so you don't get caught waiting a few days mid-install to have what you need.
Overall, very nice heater and should make riding in the cold much more enjoyable.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well I'm most of the way done with this install myself. A few things I noticed or thought of.

Personally, I don't like the location in the original post, I feel like it may be too exposed to snow or water intake. I haven't received my wiper kit yet, but my plan is to relocate the washer fluid, or just not install it for now. Not to mention, the heater core location in the original post is where my 2nd battery will be. Apparently a lot of things want to occupy the same space o_O

Be careful where you place your floor vents, the passenger side is almost to close to the wiring loom right there. I put it too far forward.

When removing my skid plates, I still had snow chunks pack from playing yesterday. Got me thinking about people saying that it doesn't put out great heat at idle. In my 4 seater, it's a pretty long run from front to back, I'm wondering if that's part of the reason the heat isn't great at idle. Before I install the hot side hose, I'm going to get some pipe insulation or at least another length of heater hose to try and retain heat on that long run from the engine all the way to the front of the machine.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well I finished the heater install, seems to work well.

Like I mentioned, I added some simple 3/4" pipe insulation to the hot line, one 6' piece worked perfectly on my 4 seater from about fire wall to firewall.

I thought it would be easier to to feed the hose in, then feed the insulation in over it. I stuck the insulation together at the seam, poured a ton of baby powder inside and tapped a long bolt in the end of the heater hose to help it slide through. You can also use this method of you want to add insulation to your current setup by just taking one end off. I think trying to slide the insulation over the pipe through the seam would be a pain.

IMG 20200107 101352

IMG 20200107 101323

Plenty of room for it.

I'm not sure if it will help, but when my skid plate is all full of snow, it's gotta loose some heat.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well barnacles (are we allowed to cuss on here? Lol)

The heater doesn't just interfere with the washer bottle, it hits the wiper bracket also. Not by much, I'm hoping to just make my own bracket to lower the heater an inch or so.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Well barnacles (are we allowed to cuss on here? Lol)

The heater doesn't just interfere with the washer bottle, it hits the wiper bracket also. Not by much, I'm hoping to just make my own bracket to lower the heater an inch or so.

inferno sells 2 different Talon heater kits.

one works with the wiper/washer.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4

OK?

I already said I didn't want it in the other location, looks likes bad spot in my opinion. It wouldn't have taken much work to make the heater mount up near the wiper bracket and relocate the washer bottle.

That's my plan anyway.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!