E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My dealer did mine that way too. Since mine was right at 600 miles, the dealership said that were going to go through and do the 600 mile check up and only charged me for the differential oil.
Have to love good dealers.

C

Chief17

Oct 30, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG E1145
Wanted to share something I ran into. Bought my 2017 1000-5, 6/17 build date in October of 2017. Had only ridden on gravel roads with no water. Took it out on a camping trip and it sat outside during a hard downpour April of 2018. My sons were going to take it for a ride and fired it up while getting ready. I was walking around it and heard a gurgling sound, after some investigation I figured out the intake pipe was filled with water. I ended up putting a drain hole in the pipe and put a screw in it. What I found was the intake coupling to the upper body appeared to have been overtightened at assembly and buckled the body connection. You could see the water had dripped into the pipe at the buckled section. I took it apart and heated it with a heat gun and formed it back mostly and then reheated and forced a 2" 3/4 drive socket into it and got it back to perfectly round.View attachment 73288View attachment 73288
I don't know if this was an isolated occurrence or if this could be causing some of the water ingestion issues on these machines. It was shocking to me that water got into the pipe during the rain at all. Had I been through any water with it slinging up from the tires it would have easily got into the pipe.

Reactions: JACKAL
Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 73289 Wanted to share something I ran into. Bought my 2017 1000-5, 6/17 build date in October of 2017. Had only ridden on gravel roads with no water. Took it out on a camping trip and it sat outside during a hard downpour April of 2018. My sons were going to take it for a ride and fired it up while getting ready. I was walking around it and heard a gurgling sound, after some investigation I figured out the intake pipe was filled with water. I ended up putting a drain hole in the pipe and put a screw in it. What I found was the intake coupling to the upper body appeared to have been overtightened at assembly and buckled the body connection. You could see the water had dripped into the pipe at the buckled section. I took it apart and heated it with a heat gun and formed it back mostly and then reheated and forced a 2" 3/4 drive socket into it and got it back to perfectly round.View attachment 73288View attachment 73288
I don't know if this was an isolated occurrence or if this could be causing some of the water ingestion issues on these machines. It was shocking to me that water got into the pipe during the rain at all. Had I been through any water with it slinging up from the tires it would have easily got into the pipe.
Does my 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 EPS have this water injection problem or “pre filter”? I just purchased it with 970 miles.

Reactions: Smitty335
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Not 100% certain, but I think the spot you're looking to check is under the "hood". The picture below shows my '21 with a red foam pre-filter I've added on the intake.

View attachment 311686
You're actually missing the "Honda fix". There should be a couple push pins and a cheesy little bracket with a plate where you can see the two holes next to your pre-filter. Here's a pic of mine with Honda's fix installed under my LED control boxes:

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You're actually missing the "Honda fix". There should be a couple push pins and a cheesy little bracket with a plate where you can see the two holes next to your pre-filter. Here's a pic of mine with Honda's fix installed under my LED control boxes:

View attachment 311776
Not 100% certain, but I think the spot you're looking to check is under the "hood". The picture below shows my '21 with a red foam pre-filter I've added on the intake.

View attachment 311686
There is a video on YouTube that covers the “Honda kit” install.

Reactions: ChadD
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 311776

Yup, I removed it, though didn't pitch it. It doesn't serve much of a purpose for my type of riding here in NV's high desert. If there's a puddle of water it's already being fought over by a couple of Razors and several ducks who were there first.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
View attachment 73289 Wanted to share something I ran into. Bought my 2017 1000-5, 6/17 build date in October of 2017. Had only ridden on gravel roads with no water. Took it out on a camping trip and it sat outside during a hard downpour April of 2018. My sons were going to take it for a ride and fired it up while getting ready. I was walking around it and heard a gurgling sound, after some investigation I figured out the intake pipe was filled with water. I ended up putting a drain hole in the pipe and put a screw in it. What I found was the intake coupling to the upper body appeared to have been overtightened at assembly and buckled the body connection. You could see the water had dripped into the pipe at the buckled section. I took it apart and heated it with a heat gun and formed it back mostly and then reheated and forced a 2" 3/4 drive socket into it and got it back to perfectly round.View attachment 73288View attachment 73288
If your air cover looks like this, it is the original that came on the 2016 before the water ingestion fix. The newer covers are taller with ribs inside the circled section on the large flat area.
20151228 131831

Here is what the new part looks like
Screenshot 20220105 001606 Chrome

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If your air cover looks like this, it is the original that came on the 2016 before the water ingestion fix. The newer covers are taller with ribs inside the circled section on the large flat area.
View attachment 311826

Here is what the new part looks like
View attachment 311828
Yep, mine is definitely original. Will be ordering the new upgrade kit/parts tomorrow.

Travis R

Travis R

Sep 26, 2021
Southeast Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I installed the Honda intake pre-filter upgrade kit today on my 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 EPS. Super, super easy and glad I done it. Took longer to find the 5/16” drill bit than it did to do the job! Got the parts from my local dealer. $30 for the kit. Thanks to all who provide valuable information on this website. If it wasn’t for this side by side club, I wouldn’t have known there was an upgrade!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!