P1000 Hour meter cant be right

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tractor hour meters are set to full PTO rpms, so, yes, running at 1/2 PTO speed will slow the clock by 1/2.
I'm not sure how those work. They sound more mechanical (like old school speedometers) that will run faster or slower based on speed. The Pioneer speedo would be amiss if it calculated time by how fast or hard the unit ran. Unless, of course, it is not measuring actual time but the intensity of engine use, thereby telling us how hard the engine oil is being taxed.

Honda may have put it to a hour meter to make it simple for us to track without trying to understand their computerized calculation of engine rpm, acceleration, load, engine temperature, ambient temperature etc. that is taking place before it reaches the hour meter as a number for us to measure our next oil change by.

I'm going to have to test this topic. It intrigues me.

Reactions: Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't imagine Honda would do other than make it a simple timer. Since I'm planning to run the accessories of #2 batt and assuming the key isn't left on accidentally (and I've never done that with any other vehicle since my first one in '67), it's unlikely I'll start making that mistake now. But, considering my advanced years and the rather sorry example of diminished mental acuity displayed by certain political figures in high office, who are not much older than me, maybe I should start worrying. What were we talking about?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I need to compare it to a timer. Theres no way its as high as it says it is
@Kelldog : How high are you?
Hour meter: High a/f
Kelldog: no, really...
Hour meter:
Stoner Dog

S

scdaf

Mar 31, 2021
central Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have to confess, my statement about tractor hour meters was a bit outdated. I may be a little older than some of you... Much of my equipment experience is from a long time ago, when hour meters were, in fact, cable driven. My Kubota hour meter is electronic, therefore, not rpm dependent.