HOURS or MILES for maintenance? - POLL

When doing maintenance which do you go by the most

• Miles

Votes: 42 43.3%
  • Hours

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • I follow the wrench alerts (which ever is first)

Votes: 41 42.3%

• Total voters
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't put on a lot of miles, and they are mostly on black-top due to what's available locally for driving. Therefore I follow what the dealer's mechanic advised which was once a year. I do check the oil level in the trans and engine frequently, and had to add to transmission since I think the dealer overlooked it when I had a regular oil change. You do need to make sure what they do and if they do it. P1000-3

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudwing
P

Prex01

Oct 28, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I go by which ever comes first. During the fall when bird hunting, the hrs come first, during the summer when trail riding the miles come first.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudwing
Paulswa1

Paulswa1

Feb 18, 2016
Strawberry AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The debate on oil changes reminds me of when I was a young lad in the 70’s working in a full service station. We had a customer named Thirston who was a traveling salesman. He always bought a new Ford Thunderbird every three years after putting around 90,000 miles on it and he NEVER changed the oil! We would always check the oil when he filled up and the oil was black as coal after 10,000 miles. At 20,000 miles, the car started burning oil. We begged him to let us do an oil change but he just told us to top it off with the cheapest oil we had which was a 30wt non detergent oil. He said oil changes were a waste of money since he was trading it in down the road. Finally, when he was ready to trade it in, we did the only oil change the car had ever had in 88,000 miles. It was like sludge. He had us power wash the engine and detail it. The car did look brand new and he got a decent trade in. I’m sure when the next owner bought the car and saw the detailed engine bay and clean oil, he thought someone must have maintained it well. Just like Forrest Gump said, “you never know what you’ll get”. I always change my oil more often than I need to and I always think of that cheap bastard Thirston when I do so.

G

gatorgrabber

Dec 8, 2019
Palm Bay, FL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hours for me, I do a lot of dog running, idling while they're sniffing around or marking their territory. I like to go by how long the engine is running because I'm changing the oil in the engine. I'm not changing the oil because of how many times the wheels turned.

NielsC

NielsC

Nov 28, 2019
Prescott, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A debate on which is more accurate for machine use tracking! Hours or Miles?

Lets say you drive fast. = Less hours, More miles.
How about you like to put put around. = More hours, Less miles.
And, what about those of you who left the key on.
Coming from an Aviation and farming background I always go by hours and operating conditions. Most new tractors have a 600 hour oil change interval. I plan on a 100 hour interval for oil and undecided about air filter. The air filtration will probably be my next project.

advertisement
F

Fredbear_5-3

Sep 24, 2019
Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The dealer left my key on it had 3 miles and 40 hours on it the day i bought it

A

Arch

Jan 24, 2016
NH

How much fuel you burn determines how often you change oil. Do the math and find out the interval. With a good air filter the contamination comes from the fuel and it's additives . Diesel engines have used this for years in determing the change interval. Thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!