P1000 How bad is the cab heat problem, really?

J

Jcdrury2s

Apr 12, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Other Brand
As I wait for my P1k5D deluxe to arrive, I have been spending a lot of time browsing the forum and FB groups. The one issue I keep seeing over and over again is the cab heat issue. Is it really that bad? Is it only bad when travelling at a slow speed, or do you still get toasty when cruising at 30mph? There will typically be four people in the machine. I ordered mine with the Honda hard roof and SATV flip-up windshield. Should I just plan on having to buy the reflective kit and fans?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I think the majority of people that complain about the heat have windshields or enclosures and are expecting a Jeep-like level of comfort. Every SXS (or ATV for that matter) I've ever ridden has been hot to an extent. It's an off-road machine designed to be hosed out and muddy/dusty and you sit on top of the engine. I live in Louisiana where it's damn near 100* and 100% humidity and I don't have an issue with mine. It does get warm, but no warmer than anything else where the engine is under your ass or between your legs. With 4 people in the machine, the person sitting behind the passenger will get the hottest as they sit right over the exhaust header. If I had people sitting in that spot often, I'd add the bilge fan and some heatshield to the floor panels. Small kids that sit in car seats or boosters and their feet don't touch the floor don't usually have an issue, but an adult or older kid will have their feet right on top of the exhaust with just a little heatshield and 2mm of plastic deterring the heat.

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in the subarctic but Go to places were the temps are over 100 and no humidity, never had a problem honestly. Ive feel its warmer in a Teryx and RZR myself. I finally did install a fan underneath the seat that blows near the header pipes to keep my wife cooler, She only complains when we've been travelling at highway speeds then suddenly slow down for some trail riding or when Ive been hammering a hill and the headers are glowing LOL! Drivers seat is isolated pretty well from the motor heat. If you drive through some water there will be steam coming up from behind the seat.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hunt in south Mississippi and use my machine to work the land in the off season and it gets nasty hot down here so the cab heat is an issue for me. I just ordered an Atwood 3” turbo inline fan, the duct tubing, a digital thermostat and the flange to exit the hot air. Total cost off of Amazon was around $100. Haven’t installed it yet but from what I hear it’s a greatly appreciated upgrade from the guys who have run similar setups.
I will also be adding the heat shields under the seats up front and in the hot spots under the dump bed soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

Champion55

Supporting Member
May 23, 2021
OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My oldest kid (9yo) sits in the back and sometimes complains when were going slow or stopped. The windscreen and Alienshade rooftop help out a lot here in 100+ degree Oklahoma weather. Good point above from Adam490 about the exhaust header. I need to move the cooler and dog over behind the passenger and have him sit behind the driver.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It hasn't been an issue for me in WI.

I took off the 4"x4" panel in the floor under the dash for extra heat in winter. I just put it back on last weekend. With the window flipped up, I don't think the heat is any different than any other sxs or atv I've ever had.

R

rickoshea

it's only "that bad" if you let it get to you.i knew what i was getting in to when i bought it,so i don't complain.when it's really hot out i lose the top half of the 2 piece windshield and the bimini.then i get out and enjoy.if i need comfort i take the power wagon out.that's why i bought it.

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't sat in the back but I was in the passenger seat up front once for about an hour when I let a friend try out my 1000-5. Towards the end, my rear end started feeling like it was sitting on hot coals. I also felt gushes of hot air rise up front behind the front seat. I have never really had issues while sitting in the drivers seat.

My kids have never complained about heat in the back but maybe at ages 10 and 11 they're just excited about the ride. I'll be curious when the fall and winter comes if the extra heat will keep us warm in Northern Michigan or just blow out the windows.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not an issue, I bought it to ride and that skinny pedal takes most of the heat away. Every SXS I’ve owned has a heat factor.

Reactions: toddvdh and Lady01
Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you ever sit a small child in the front middle, they will absolutely blister their bottom. The plastic gets unbelievably hot. In winter, it’s a very nice hand warmer there in the middle. Or store your gloves there for a nice glove warmer. I installed both the heat shield and a fan. That definitely makes it bearable in the summer. I miss the hand/glove warmer in the winter though.

Reactions: Lady01
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think the issue what @Adam490 touched on above. Everybody runs out and buys a full windshield and such and starts b****ing and whining about heat and dust.

These things are meant to be run open, and windshields and full doors and the like are COLD WEATHER accessories. Mud, bugs and nature in general are part of the experience, but if someone insists on a windshield, it MUST fold down or up...none of those ridiculous sliding vent models. If you don't like the sound of that, sxs's aren't for you. Go buy a Jeep or bronco or whatever...

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the issue what @Adam490 touched on above. Everybody runs out and buys a full windshield and such and starts b****ing and whining about heat and dust.

These things are meant to be run open, and windshields and full doors and the like are COLD WEATHER accessories. Mud, bugs and nature in general are part of the experience, but if someone insists on a windshield, it MUST fold down or up...none of those ridiculous sliding vent models. If you don't like the sound of that, sxs's aren't for you. Go buy a Jeep or bronco or whatever...
Bingo!

A power screen is nice if you don’t want bugs in your face…with temps falling up north, it won’t be long before I put my Honda split windshield and soft enclosure back on.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If it’s bad enough you could always go “all natural “ 😂

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Front and middle front seat passengers will be uncomfortably hot do the hot seat when working the machine moderately. Installing reflective foil under seat and wrapped up the back will solve 90% of the problem. The other 10% can be solved with a fan under seat blowing to back to put more airflow over the exhaust system. There will still be some heat coming through the shifter and brake light spring hole but I can live with that. For rear passenger side riders, install the heat shielding under the floor boards.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Bingo!

A power screen is nice if you don’t want bugs in your face…with temps falling up north, it won’t be long before I put my Honda split windshield and soft enclosure back on.
I do run a 1/2 shield in cold (by AZ standards) weather. People would be surprised how effective they are. I don't even really like that, but I like snot cicles even less, and it gets pretty cold in the desert at night.

I'm certainly not opposed to anyone extending the riding season as long as possible, but it's like a winter jacket. When it warms up, put it in storage until next winter.

I made a homemade screen set up back before those came out. It also worked well...except for the constant "whoosh" noise.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'mma say it again. I don't know what you're talking about.
This is today.

Today

And Vikes79, I'm always natural.
Peace out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!