P500 How loud is your Valve train?

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Good to know. Guess it's just the nature of this engine.
Did your rancher do it?
The Rancher made that loud metallic tapping sound constantly once it was warmed up. After hundreds of dollars trying to remedy it, I said “uncle.”

Reactions: DG Rider
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My 14' Foreman did it,and my P5 does it.These are push rod,non hyd.lifter engines,and they are going to make some noise.I've been around large tractor engines my whole life,and like our little Honda motors,they emit valvetrain noise,but they run and run and run and run...............................................................................

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Good to know. Guess it's just the nature of this engine.
Did your rancher do it?
Hey, so question for you. Does your Pioneer 500 make horrendous valvetrain noise above say 30mph? Mine does. When it was brand new it did not, but now it does. Mine has gotten very noisey. It sounds like something's going to break! Is yours the same?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey, so question for you. Does your Pioneer 500 make horrendous valvetrain noise above say 30mph? Mine does. When it was brand new it did not, but now it does. Mine has gotten very noisey. It sounds like something's going to break! Is yours the same?
No. Mine usually gets quieter off idle.
There always seems to be an RPM where engines like this resonate a bit more...but honestly, once up to temp, mine isn't too bad.
Are you sure it's valves?

Reactions: SouthwestORV
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
No. Mine usually gets quieter off idle.
There always seems to be an RPM where engines like this resonate a bit more...but honestly, once up to temp, mine isn't too bad.
Are you sure it's valves?
Assuming, but not sure.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Anybody think the noise may be related to either cam chain or the cam chain tensioner being worn/needing adjustment? Does the tensioner adjust tension variable with oil pressure? Can't tell from parts fische what(if anything) moves the plunger. I had s 4 cycle Yamaha three wheeler that had similar symptoms that quieted mostly with a new tensioner and adjustment. Adjustment was a frequent service item on it but it ran for 35 years and still starts to this day on one pull.

WB

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anybody think the noise may be related to either cam chain or the cam chain tensioner being worn/needing adjustment? Does the tensioner adjust tension variable with oil pressure? Can't tell from parts fische what(if anything) moves the plunger. I had s 4 cycle Yamaha three wheeler that had similar symptoms that quieted mostly with a new tensioner and adjustment. Adjustment was a frequent service item on it but it ran for 35 years and still starts to this day on one pull.

WB
I think back when I started this I investigated this. I honestly don't recall, but I think it was hydraulic. And at any rate, it's inside the engine, so no easy investigation/repair there.

The only time mine is really noisy is during warm-up. Then, it sounds like a valve way out, but it goes away at temp.
At opp temp, there is a slight ting at idle that I have put off to maybe the decompression device. Or...maybe a touch of spark knock? I mention that because mine will ping a bit at light throttle, under load.
Bringing it up off idle takes it away. Could be the chain, but it hasn't gotten any worse in the couple of thousand miles I've been paying attention. I think it's like the "Rincon rattle" on my 700. Just the nature of the engine.

Reactions: Gassygordo
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
So is there an adjustment for cam chain tension? Haven't sprung for a shop manual so I can't look it up. Thanx!

WB

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
So is there an adjustment for cam chain tension? Haven't sprung for a shop manual so I can't look it up. Thanx!

WB
Don't think so,looks to just be spring loaded.I think alot of these noises are just from the fact that these are push-rod non hyd.lifter engines.There may be the occasional tick at low rpm from the decompression device added in there.I always use 93 octane pump gas and do not get any "pinging" under load.It will do it with lower octane numbers.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
My vote is the decompressor.
Not all of them make noise, but those that do there is not much you can do.
But they tend to run forever.
Other than that, the whole engine is a rattle trap.

Reactions: nctrailboss
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
My vote is the decompressor.
Not all of them make noise, but those that do there is not much you can do.
But they tend to run forever.
Other than that, the whole engine is a rattle trap.

LOL...I'm gonna tell your boss that youn said that!!! LOL

WB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!