P1000 How slow is low?

trackerkelpie

trackerkelpie

Jun 7, 2015
Can some of you lucky P1000 owners tell me what the slowest speed your machine will comfortably cruise up an incline without slipping the clutch. I was out educating weaner cattle this morning in a less than suitable Viking which can only cruise above 5 kms(3 mph) which is too fast. If this is an issue does anyone know if the clutch engagement speed is adjustable?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe the Pioneer can move at any speed I know my 700 would creep along if I needed it to, and it was a standard automotive type transmission. The DCT is what you get in high end performance cars, and does not work the same as a CVT. A CVT uses the clutch because the belt is not supposed to slip at all on a CVT its can absorb some shock as its rubber but if it slips it burns up. Which is why water and contaminates are so bad for CVT equipped SXSs.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbyhill
trackerkelpie

trackerkelpie

Jun 7, 2015
Thanks Ohana, I have a lot of experience with CVT clutches as well as wet clutches but not DCT. Is the engagement a positive off-on type of is it more like a torque converter where slipping just heats up the oil?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think manual trans but electronically controlled. See how smooth the DCT is in the acceleration video? The electronics control the clutch engagement and gear speed.

Last edited:
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Duel clutch is the key to smooth!!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The 700 may be better with the torque converter and can let you drive under 1 mph all you want. You can inch along. Some one needs to check the take off rpm on the 1000 to see when it moves. There will be a point where you could hold it where the clutch slips but that may be under 1 or 2 mph in low range.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 700 may be better with the torque converter and can let you drive under 1 mph all you want. You can inch along. Some one needs to check the take off rpm on the 1000 to see when it moves. There will be a point where you could hold it where the clutch slips but that may be under 1 or 2 mph in low range.
Very true

trackerkelpie

trackerkelpie

Jun 7, 2015
The 700 may be better with the torque converter and can let you drive under 1 mph all you want.
Yes we tested the 700 but it was unsuitable in other ways,ie ground clearance, suspension, and lack of turf mode etc. The torque converter seemed to be struggling at low speeds when climbing steep terrain as well.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
trackerkelpie

trackerkelpie

Jun 7, 2015
I ran mine very slow last weekend on our cattle farm. I would guess 1-3 mph and it did completely fine.
So do you think the clutch for first gear is fully engaged at 1 mph?

advertisement
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Felt fine to me. It's basically on or off. It's not like my Polaris was with the spin up clutch.

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So do you think the clutch for first gear is fully engaged at 1 mph?

I find that I am often cruising very slowly, under 5 mph. Cause the manual says that if you are driving under I think 5 or 6 for prolonged times, low should be used. I do, but I love loping along at about 5 or 6, it's so quiet and peaceful I can look for game or fish jumping or even good fire wood. I have taken a couple of slow runs up pretty steep grades from the start in both low and high. High gear wants you to lay on the pedal and get moving, low is just fine walking up the hill slowly. Being new I will run more and more testing. I really do love this machine.

Reactions: trackerkelpie
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have only used low on my machine so that is worth noting.

WyomingRancher

WyomingRancher

Nov 6, 2015
Just got done feeding grain to weaned heifer calves this morning. This machine is unreal quiet and will go as slow as a guy would want.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Today I was able to maintain 3 mph in low with the foot on the gas.
BUT in High it did even better as idle would push it along at a steady 3-4mph after a slight start.
Between 1 and 2 mph the throttle control could not decide if I wanted it to stop or go. Made it jerky ride.

trackerkelpie

trackerkelpie

Jun 7, 2015
Today I was able to maintain 3 mph in low with the foot on the gas.
BUT in High it did even better as idle would push it along at a steady 3-4mph after a slight start.
Between 1 and 2 mph the throttle control could not decide if I wanted it to stop or go. Made it jerky ride.
Thanks Hondasxs. I really appreciate this feedback. It looks as if the clutch engagement speed is a little high for my purposes so I need to contact Honda tech to find out if this is something that can be adjusted.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I could not imagine needing to go slower then that. It was about to drive me crazy testing it for you. hahah. But to his, his own!
RPM's were really low in high gear. I will get some video tomorrow if I remember.
No problem.

sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
it can not be adjusted there is a centrifugal clutch and change clutch. and im doubtful if there is a way to adjust the idle speed on this machine with fuel injection without a programmer. the centrifugal clutch is what the deciding factor is and its set to a certain rpm where it begins to engage. the change clutch is disengaged quickly through gear changes.

trackerkelpie

trackerkelpie

Jun 7, 2015
I could not imagine needing to go slower then that. It was about to drive me crazy testing it for you. hahah. But to his, his own!
RPM's were really low in high gear. I will get some video tomorrow if I remember.
No problem.
Thanks @Hondasxs and @sajnaj for your replies.
Imagine this. 1000 hd of Brahman weaners moving through a series of paddocks for 10 miles at say 3 kms per hour (1.88 mph). It takes just under 5.5 hrs with an operator behind and to the side and dogs steering the sides. If the SXS only engages at 3 mph that necessitates 5.5 hrs of start/stop operation which is extremely tedious and very hard on the clutch, if, however the clutch is fully engaged at 1 mph then it is possible to cruise along at the correct speed using throttle to speed up and slow down without the necessity to stop. Also much of the terrain is very rough with fallen timber, tussock grasses and melon holes making a 3- 3.5 mph traverse extremely rough.

Sajnaj, you mentioned a programmer, what is it and is it an option to achieve the result I am looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
Thanks HSXS and Snaj for your replies.
Imagine this. 1000 hd of Brahman weaners moving through a series of paddocks for 10 miles at say 3 kms per hour (1.88 mph). It takes just under 5.5 hrs with an operator behind and to the side and dogs steering the sides. If the SXS only engages at 3 mph that necessitates 5.5 hrs of start/stop operation which is extremely tedious and very hard on the clutch, if, however the clutch is fully engaged at 1 mph then it is possible to cruise along at the correct speed using throttle to speed up and slow down without the necessity to stop. Also much of the terrain is very rough with fallen timber, tussock grasses and melon holes making a 3- 3.5 mph traverse extremely rough.

Sajnaj, you mentioned a programmer, what is it and is it an option to achieve the result I am looking for?
Sounds like you need a horse. Never seen any sxs that couldnt follow behind a herd of cattle.

Reactions: gatorguy
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!