WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it just my newbyness, or should Honda have perhaps put these machines through a wind tunnel, or test driven them on a dirt road to test for dust before marketing them? Yes, I am a newby with many many questions, but some of them seem to be pointed back at Honda... just sayin'...
P.S. Just got my machine a couple weeks ago and love it... but many many questions about after market parts, etc. I think the Super ATV Flip windshield is likely the way to go... but roofs... wow, from Honda, the fabric option with windows that I posted above, and now I am seeing an option from Seizmik (which I can't find on their site, but it is in a picture), and another solid roof from a Canadian distributor

Please forgive me for being a real newby, but it would be nice to make these decisions once, and the correct decision. I am hoping that one day I will be able to join the ranks of those giving answers instead of asking questions.

Thank everyone for their advice and sense of community!

Best,
Tie
I think all sxs's are gonna be dusty. I like my flip up SuperATV windshield and honda oem roof. They was already installed when I bought my 1000 used but I would definitely buy them again if I had to.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tie,
Best part of these machines is that there is no true best product for them. What is perfect for me, might be horrible for you.

The Honda hard roof is an excellent product. But with the price creeping up every year, it gets less attractive.

What is the end goal for your machine? That will help with suggestions as we go.

A quick drive down the QEW/401/403 (whatever damn highway brings you to Guelph, Been 20 years since i lived in the area) to check out Royal might be a good day trip.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An 801UTV glass windshield and a mid screen work best for me. Still need to shower after rides. If you’re just touring and don’t need ground clearance or tight maneuvering you can purchase a CanAm defender with A/C and heat that will keep you clean and comfy. Then of course there’s always the Jeep option. The only real good option if you can’t stand the dust in a SxS is to only ride after a rain storm.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I prefer to to go naked…

seriously, loose the baked potato cabin / windshield and rock a screen mesh or nothing at all.

likely you are already using glasses and a helmet anyway…

You’ll be a lot cooler and a lot less dusty.

912B8BD3 0565 4F90 9B10 85F97FC32523

W

wbyman22

Apr 30, 2017
WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have found with mine, the absolute best dust control, is no front windshield of any kind and no mid panel. If any windshield/ even just the lower part is installed a mid panel is absolutely necessary or it will choke you right out, and same with the back seats, if your running any kind of front windshield, the rear panel again becomes necessary for rear passengers. I have the split hard coat Honda windshield, roof, and fabric mid panels, and I by far and away enjoy it the most with the front windshield completely removed on nice warm days, really doesn’t take long to uninstall/install, if your not following someone, there is virtually no dust coming in the front seats, and a lot less coming in the backseats. Letting that air come over the hood and low to the dash really pushes it out of there.
All SxS are dusty, but I agree with having a lot of experience with Polaris and Yamaha as well, Honda could definitely improve in the dust control area by doing some real world testing with cab accessories installed.

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tagging, just to see if anything new comes up. Dust has been a complaint since forever...... Still a fun ride though....

Reactions: Smitty335
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tagging, just to see if anything new comes up. Dust has been a complaint since forever...... Still a fun ride though....

Try these, work wonders

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: WagginTail
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I've noticed a lot of the dust comes around the ends of the seat. I'm going to cipher on it a bit and see if there's a way to seal some or all of it off.

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
here's another thread from a while back.
interesting mod to a factor honda shield.
anyone tried it?? said to work ...

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
here's another thread from a while back.
interesting mod to a factor honda shield.
anyone tried it?? said to work ...

It won’t have any change to the level of dust, only lowers the airflow so that it’s now directly in your face.

the only way to truly lower dust is to reduce the amount of surface area creating low pressure zones to zero as the vehicle moves thru space. Adding a windshield effectively doubles the vehicle’s low pressure zone. Adding panels only shifts the zone rear wards of the vehicle.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It won’t have any change to the level of dust, only lowers the airflow so that it’s now directly in your face.

the only way to truly lower dust is to reduce the amount of surface area creating low pressure zones to zero as the vehicle moves thru space. Adding a windshield effectively doubles the vehicle’s low pressure zone. Adding panels only shifts the zone rear wards of the vehicle.
Exactly! It doesn't matter what machine you are running. A 2022 Honda, a 2022 Polaris, a 2022 Kawi, a 2022 Jeep, or my old 1979 CJ5. When you have a windshield and a top physics of our wonderful world creates a vacuum to remind you not to complain about rain, unless of course you are driving in the rain, because then you'll likely need your windshield wiper inside more than outside because it will take the place of the dust and be all up in the cab with you. Think about your pick'em up truck, if you have all the windows closed except the little one in the back glass it will pull air outta the cab. The second you Crack a side window that air is slamming through the back window. Either a complete flip up windshield or completely removing the windshield is gonna be the best way to eliminate the most dust that you possibly can. Or drop 30k+ on a Northstar rubber band machine with AC and heat and all that fancy s***, but then you might as well have a Jeep and cruise the mall parking lot. Dirt equals living the simpler life for a while, and if you're lucky you get to shower with the wife when ya get home because you're both covered in dirt, so why not get dirtier while you get clean!😎🇺🇲🥃🤘

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it just my newbyness, or should Honda have perhaps put these machines through a wind tunnel, or test driven them on a dirt road to test for dust before marketing them? Yes, I am a newby with many many questions, but some of them seem to be pointed back at Honda... just sayin'...
P.S. Just got my machine a couple weeks ago and love it... but many many questions about after market parts, etc. I think the Super ATV Flip windshield is likely the way to go... but roofs... wow, from Honda, the fabric option with windows that I posted above, and now I am seeing an option from Seizmik (which I can't find on their site, but it is in a picture), and another solid roof from a Canadian distributor

Please forgive me for being a real newby, but it would be nice to make these decisions once, and the correct decision. I am hoping that one day I will be able to join the ranks of those giving answers instead of asking questions.

Thank everyone for their advice and sense of community!

Best,
Tie
I’m looking at the SuperATV tinted plastic roof

R

Red21

Aug 9, 2021
sioux falls, sd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Is it just my newbyness, or should Honda have perhaps put these machines through a wind tunnel, or test driven them on a dirt road to test for dust before marketing them? Yes, I am a newby with many many questions, but some of them seem to be pointed back at Honda... just sayin'..."

That is a very good and honest question. To your question, I really doubt it. My wife and I went riding out in the Black Hills in May, and followed our friends in their Polaris Northstar. We traveled on probably 8-10 mile of gravel roads to get to where we were going. We worked our way over into Wyoming. It was extremely dry and dusty, and yes, my wife and I, and the interior of our 1000-5, got compelety covered in dust. That was a mojor reason my wife decided she no longer wanted to ride in a dust storm. I can't really blame her.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
"Is it just my newbyness, or should Honda have perhaps put these machines through a wind tunnel, or test driven them on a dirt road to test for dust before marketing them? Yes, I am a newby with many many questions, but some of them seem to be pointed back at Honda... just sayin'..."

That is a very good and honest question. To your question, I really doubt it. My wife and I went riding out in the Black Hills in May, and followed our friends in their Polaris Northstar. We traveled on probably 8-10 mile of gravel roads to get to where we were going. We worked our way over into Wyoming. It was extremely dry and dusty, and yes, my wife and I, and the interior of our 1000-5, got compelety covered in dust. That was a mojor reason my wife decided she no longer wanted to ride in a dust storm. I can't really blame her.
Hire a water truck? HA!

R

Red21

Aug 9, 2021
sioux falls, sd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly! It doesn't matter what machine you are running. A 2022 Honda, a 2022 Polaris, a 2022 Kawi, a 2022 Jeep, or my old 1979 CJ5. When you have a windshield and a top physics of our wonderful world creates a vacuum to remind you not to complain about rain, unless of course you are driving in the rain, because then you'll likely need your windshield wiper inside more than outside because it will take the place of the dust and be all up in the cab with you. Think about your pick'em up truck, if you have all the windows closed except the little one in the back glass it will pull air outta the cab. The second you Crack a side window that air is slamming through the back window. Either a complete flip up windshield or completely removing the windshield is gonna be the best way to eliminate the most dust that you possibly can. Or drop 30k+ on a Northstar rubber band machine with AC and heat and all that fancy s***, but then you might as well have a Jeep and cruise the mall parking lot. Dirt equals living the simpler life for a while, and if you're lucky you get to shower with the wife when ya get home because you're both covered in dirt, so why not get dirtier while you get clean!😎🇺🇲🥃🤘
It has always amazed me how many people like to advertise their stupidity. I have been to more than one rodeo, so to speak, so I have learned a few things about human nature. First of all, it is completely understandable that people who have purchased a high ticket item, such as a SxS, tend to defend their purchase. You, I assume, bought a Honda Pioneer -1000, so to you, it is the absolute best SxS there is so you of course will defend you purchase. That is understandable. But defending your purchase by criticizing what someone else purchases, totally demonstrates your ignorance. One thing my dad tought me growing up is that the easiest thing anyone can do is criticize someone else or what they have. That takes no skill or talent. This some how makes you think better about yourself.
For example, you refer to the Polaris as having "rubber bands". Anyone with a brain knows that is not true. It is simply a comment based on total ignorance, meant to criticize, which of course you project. You must be a VERY shallow person.

My wife currently drives a Honda Pilot, and before that, she drove a Honda CR-V. Did you know that the CR-V, which is a very popular vehicle, has a CVT transmission? According to your idiocy, the CVT has rubber bands, much like a Polaris. Are you criticizing those who have a Honda CR-V?
A close friend on mine has a 2018 Northstar with around 5,000 miles. He told me that he still has the original belt (not rubber bands), and has not had any issues with it. I know that for you, this is extemely hard to believe., because you apparently are far more intelligent than most others. I really suggest that you stop making fun of and stop be-littleling others that choose to purchase something other than a Honda SxS.
YOU NEED TO GROW UP!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!