Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Last time I decked my trailer, I used pressure treated pine and coated it with used motor oil cut with diesel.
I repeated the process every year.
The boards still only lasted 5 years. (I should have replaced them last year)

Today I ordered rough cut oak and I am wondering if there is something out there that will help the boards last longer.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I bought a used trailer and kept it about 10 years, never did the first thing to the deck. It was stored inside 90% of the time when not in use though.
Trailer we replaced it with we put thompsons water seal on it. It is stored inside as well when not in use.
Key is keeping it out of the sun and rain as much as possible.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought a used trailer and kept it about 10 years, never did the first thing to the deck. It was stored inside 90% of the time when not in use though.
Trailer we replaced it with we put thompsons water seal on it. It is stored inside as well when not in use.
Key is keeping it out of the sun and rain as much as possible.
I agree, but it is not possible. I have a lot of toys. It's a competition.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly I have stopped doing anything to the deck boards of my trailers.

they are just too slippery in the rain and winter weather if they are coated.

maybe if there was grit in the sealer then that would be helpful.

I’ve got 20 year old trailers with the same deck boards with out a thing done to them and stored 100% outside. They still work and aren’t rotten. Maybe they are getting tough looking.

They are just plain Jane pressure treated boards.

I do try and keep items off them to prevent pooling of water and rotting.

IMO at the end of day it’s not worth it and is mostly nice to look at. My .02.

05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a trailer 10 years ago with a treated pine deck. I put 2 coats of CWF on it after pressure washing it and letting it sit in the sun for 2 days to dry. That is 2 quick coats. Roll it on and wait about a half hour to soak and hit it again. Don't allow to dry between coats or the second coat will sit on top like a varnish and peel. This year I did it again and it still looks like new. I also make sure that it is always at a slope so water runs off. Here in PA, it sits outside year round with rain and snow.

Reactions: JenElio
05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, I forgot the pic. That's better, now it happened. 🤣

20210610 140251

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Last time I decked my trailer, I used pressure treated pine and coated it with used motor oil cut with diesel.

Today I ordered rough cut oak and I am wondering if there is something out there that will help the boards last longer.
I use water Thompson seal every year no problem 6 years old and I leave it outside.

G

GreatNorth

May 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
2009 PJ with original pressure treated wood kept outside all the time in sun, rain, and snow is still solid. I do keep it sloped so water runs off and don’t usually have anything sitting on it to collect water. Dirt gets washed off, but that’s the extent of treatment. If the powder coat weren’t all flaking off it would still look pretty. Picture here:
P500 - Reserved red P520, tire & accessory questions

Reactions: ChadD and 05Willys
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Do the same thing to the oak. If you do it twice per year, it will last forever. I use straight used motor oil, pour it on and brush it in thick. My trailer was ordered with oak from factory. Been 4 yrs and as good as new.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Stored inside is always better. I finally broke down a rented a storage unit. Cheaper than putting a garage up and paying the $800/yr property taxes on it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!