• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon Howling Transmission

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by Ezgoin, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Ezgoin

Ezgoin Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    So I put the first 125 miles on my new Talon X this weekend. The riding was mostly tight trails and rough slow speed exposed rock roads (I’ll make a separate post about my overall impressions a little later). To get to the trails, there was typically 10-12 miles of twisty gravel roads allowing for some higher speed driving. The Talon was great fun on these roads, except for the ridiculously loud high pitched howl from the trans/gear box! It was uncomfortably loud at anything over 30 mph or so. I was running in High range and it was almost unbearable in either acceleration or deceleration, as well as most of the time at a steady cruise. It was so loud my wife let go of the grab bar to plug yer ears. Is this normal? I have a hard time believing Honda Put out a machine with a drivetrain that makes that kind of noise! I checked all the fluids and all looked fine. The howl is present at lower speeds/rpm also, but not nearly as bad as at higher speeds.
    Anyone else experience this? I’ve read and watched all the reviews where they talk about how quiet the Talon is when compared to other brand SXS!

2. HUCK

HUCK Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    500, Talon X
    Quiet as a mouse here . Get it to the dealer or at least call them and see if they want it in quick or put a few more miles on it .
    We have ,in my area, 5 2019s , 4 Xs and a R and 2 2020s 1X 1R They are all quiet .
    They range in miles from about 8 (got it yesterday) to 3000 .

#2 HUCK, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  3. The-Bearded-One

The-Bearded-One New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Have 1000 miles on mine. No noise like that. I get a little extra nose in 4wd, but nothing crazy.

4. snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky Village Idiot
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    Jay_Schulte, Hondasxs and ohanacreek like this.
  5. Hondasxs

Hondasxs Club Founder
    Staff Member Vendor Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Should be 2 dip sticks
    Did you check them both?

Edit. See you found a similar thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#5 Hondasxs, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  6. tincangob

tincangob Active Member

Ownership:
    1000-3
    I have a P1000 and found that even after a visit to the dealer that the sub-transmission oil level was a little low. I thought it wasn't shifting properly, but it just needed a little break-in and more aggressive application on the gas pedal. My transmission settled down after 100 miles or so, but I don't recall it being nearly as loud as what yours sounds like. Let the dealer mechanic take it for a quick ride just to make sure things are normal. Like the previous post says, check BOTH dip sticks - one on the engine and one on the transmission. Both use the same oil. The machines aren't really quiet even when running properly. A Honda mechanic can put your mind a ease or not in a very few minutes.

Plumber32 likes this.
  7. Ezgoin

Ezgoin Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I took my X to the local dealership that I trust. We compared mine to a brand new X on his lot, and then to his personal R with about 35 miles on it. All sounded pretty similar at idle with the typical clutch whine. When rev’d to 3500-4000 rpm while in Park, both mine and the new unit sounded about the same with the whine increasing with the rpm’s. When reving his R, the wine increased until about 3500 rpm then seemed to fade away. He then lifted the rear tires of mine off the ground and ran it up while in gear. I wasn’t there for that part but he took a video/audio of the sound and sent it to Honda. He also drained the sub-trans reservoir and, depending on what Honda has to say, may send it in for analysis since the level was low when deliver. He was still unsure/unconvinced that the noise is unusual. He always rides his with ear plugs and full helmet so he has no reference based on the 35 miles he’s ridden his.
    It’s really hard to say what all that means without actually driving them all under the same conditions, but I should find out tomorrow what Honda has to say.

Plumber32 likes this.
  8. hondabob

hondabob Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Other Brand
    With a windshield and no helmet it may be noisy. I don't have a windshield and always wear a helmet. It may be hard to find a UTV that isn't noisy, a Jeep may be the best choice if noise is an issue.

JTW likes this.
  9. Ezgoin

Ezgoin Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I have a half windshield, and prefer not to wear helmets unless we are riding aggressively, which we don’t often do. I currently have a 2018 RZR 900 Trail and previous to that had a RZR XP 900, both with half windshields and roofs, just like the Talon and both typically driven without a helmet or ear plugs... and both dramatically quieter than the Talon from idle to red line. In fact I started up the RZR the other day for the first time since buying the Talon and was taken aback by how quiet it was in comparison. I guess if I’d wanted a Jeep I probably wouldn’t have bought a Talon.

10. hondabob

hondabob Well-Known Member

Ownership:
    1000-3, Other Brand
    I had a 2011 RZR 900 and put 11,000 miles on it. I had to replace a few parts and the belt drive complete at 10,000 miles. It was a game changer and I really enjoyed it. I drove my Talon without a helmet today and I expect the noise is the same on all Talons. Looks like when your not wearing a helmet you will need ear plugs. I drove the new Kawasaki today and I think its the best belt drive sport model.

Stevo, JTW and Sheetmetalfab like this.
  11. The-Bearded-One

Ownership:
    Talon R
    You drove a KRK? Are they out already?

12. The-Bearded-One

Ownership:
    Talon R