BOX1

Transmission Noise

C

cnib

May 3, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I have a 1000 X4 live valve. I ride in low 90% of the time. Most times in 1st or 2nd gear. Sometimes when climbing speeds may be 3-5mph. If we do that for an extended period of time, I get a whining noise from the rear. Seems like it’s heat related. I’ve never had any warning lights come on. Any ideas?

Reactions: Isaiah
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I use Valvoline 75w90 Full Synthetic in the front and rear dif's. The rear only takes 3.9 OZ so I change it more often. I think the owners manual says every 1,800 miles.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have a 1000 X4 live valve. I ride in low 90% of the time. Most times in 1st or 2nd gear. Sometimes when climbing speeds may be 3-5mph. If we do that for an extended period of time, I get a whining noise from the rear. Seems like it’s heat related. I’ve never had any warning lights come on. Any ideas?
Hmmmm , whining noise from the rear .......,.,..where does your wife ride ? JUST KIDDING , I COULDN'T RESIST

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Try turning off the i4WD and see if it is still making the noise. I noticed the whining in 4WD, it stops when I put it in 2WD. So I think it's probably normal. The sub transmission, front drive shaft and front diff spinning are probably what you are hearing. Interested in what you find.

M

ManofManyStangs

Apr 25, 2020
P'Burg KY
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Mine was doing this the other day, didn't realize I had it in 4wd running 60 on blacktop.

Reactions: HavasuDave
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!