Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I love how you immediately check things! Looks rough as hell my friend no mixed drinks I assume lol

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just made another run with the GPS. It will hit 66MPH and there's no more left unless I went down a hill maybe or tucked in behind a truck! Which I will not do! The speedo says 59 and actual is 66

Sent from my iPad 7G

Reactions: sharp and Tot
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This is a weird thing to me. I understand how heavier tires effect a vehicle but it's crazy on this that it could come down to electronics. It seams weird that the motor would rev like it does. Again thank you for your thoughts Jackal as that helps tremendously. I wonder if there is a way around this because like @Tot im planning on running a heavy ply truck tire for longevity during the dry months.

What you need to ponder it this. Why run a heavy truck tire made for a vehicle that is 6,000 to 9,000 pounds on a 2000 lbs SXS?

For all around performance and durability you want a tough rubber compound in the lightest tire carcass possible. Ergo a 15+" wheel makes for lighter tires. To that point one of the toughest rubber compound tires according to several users out west it the ITP Bajacross, some that do a lot or road riding (AZ) have gotten close to 40,000 miles out of them on SXS in desert / road riding. Have no idea on wet terrain / mud performance but some of these guys swear by them. The Bajacross 30x10x14 is only 33# so it 11 lbs lighter per tire than Roctanes and still an 8 ply radial tire. Think about that 44 pounds less to spin up at highway speeds that is considerable on a 1000 cc engine.

Tires - Bajacross

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Thanks guys for the input. The truck tires really aren't heavy though and roll easily. When I get some time I'll try the Roctane XS tires I have. I need to get in touch with a guy to get a reflash out for the Pioneers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks guys for the input. The truck tires really aren't heavy though and roll easily. When I get some time I'll try the Roctane XS tires I have. I need to get in touch with a guy to get a reflash out for the Pioneers.

Good luck with that, these DCT are infinitely more complex than your 6 speed auto transmission in the trucks. Not impossible, but to start from scratch without mfg. R&D data will be a tough learning/ experimental curve.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
What you need to ponder it this. Why run a heavy truck tire made for a vehicle that is 6,000 to 9,000 pounds on a 2000 lbs SXS?

For all around performance and durability you want a tough rubber compound in the lightest tire carcass possible. Ergo a 15+" wheel makes for lighter tires. To that point one of the toughest rubber compound tires according to several users out west it the ITP Bajacross, some that do a lot or road riding (AZ) have gotten close to 40,000 miles out of them on SXS in desert / road riding. Have no idea on wet terrain / mud performance but some of these guys swear by them. The Bajacross 30x10x14 is only 33# so it 11 lbs lighter per tire than Roctanes and still an 8 ply radial tire. Think about that 44 pounds less to spin up at highway speeds that is considerable on a 1000 cc engine.

Tires - Bajacross
The Roctane XS are my trail tires, the truck tires are 6 ply and 38 lbs. They are on 15x7 wheels

I looked at those tires and didn't think they would do what I wanted in the mud we have after a rain.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Also when I first got the truck tires I went into the 60s. That was before the snorkel. I'm going to take it off and try it again when the time is available

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Tires - Bajacross
Atv tires do not last and my thinking was to get a set that do. Last year we chewed up a set in 6 months on the 700 because of the mileage we lay down and auto tires will last drastically longer and be fine in summer months plus be lots smoother. I know the you have to pay to play philosophy however I'm not wanting to spend 1200 a year on tires. I was trying to cheat I know but I was hopeful it would work out better

Reactions: Tot
Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas

Tires - Bajacross
The 28 Roctane XS tires weigh 33.8 plus wheel.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Atv tires do not last and my thinking was to get a set that do. Last year we chewed up a set in 6 months on the 700 because of the mileage we lay down and auto tires will last drastically longer and be fine in summer months plus be lots smoother. I know the you have to pay to play philosophy however I'm not wanting to spend 1200 a year on tires. I was trying to cheat I know but I was hopeful it would work out better
I'd say get the truck tires. Several people have and have no problems. I think my problems is related to the snorkel after reading some other stuff.

advertisement
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are those speeds consistent every time or do they very a little each run? Will engine revs stay up the whole time it's dropping?
Maybe I'm missing something but it has been my past experience that when you change to larger tires (have done this on cars), the larger tires do not rotate as fast as smaller tires thus the reduced speed on the speedometer. ???

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Absolutely true but the top speed isn't what his problem is. It's dropping way down in speed till he lets off then it'll pick back up to speed

Reactions: Tot
Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay lets try this link

If I'm listening/watching right it almost seems like the engine is choking. Either loosing intake or exhaust. I know I've seen exhaust plugged on trucks that almost act the same. I know you have low miles but have you just looked at the spark aerator to see if maybe it is restricted? Just checking the basics.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
If I'm listening/watching right it almost seems like the engine is choking. Either loosing intake or exhaust. I know I've seen exhaust plugged on trucks that almost act the same. I know you have low miles but have you just looked at the spark aerator to see if maybe it is restricted? Just checking the basics.
I'll check it. I think it may be the snorkel after input on the Facebook page. I made my own and the hose compresses but doesn't collapse from what I can see. That doesn't mean it isn't compressing in the tight spots where it is already simi squeezed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!