Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Check this from @JACKAL, start at post [HASHTAG]#189[/HASHTAG]

P1000 - Jackal's P1000-5

Sent from my iPad 7G
Wow this is weird. Good description though. The line of questioning I was getting at was clutches but...
That wouldn't be the same speed every time wouldn't be that constant

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow this is weird. Good description though. The line of questioning I was getting at was clutches but...
That wouldn't be the same speed every time wouldn't be that constant

But! Jackal did have a clutch failure. Could they be related?

Sent from my iPad 7G

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
But! Jackal did have a clutch failure. Could they be related?

Sent from my iPad 7G
I don't know but sure sounded like clutch slipping in a high gear to me. That's why I was asking about hanging revs.

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've driven a lot of DCT cars but I'm sure they feel different then manual at the start of failing but manuals usually slip higher gears first due to the drive ratio up there it takes more power to accelerate and especially with a big or heavy tire. I've never felt a DCT slip so I'm not positive just asking questions.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Are those speeds consistent every time or do they very a little each run? Will engine revs stay up the whole time it's dropping?
Speeds are consistently. 54-56 usually

RPMs are around 6-7000. When I add gas it cuts out or surges till I let off. The RPMs drop some when it surges. Then I can maintain whatever speed it drops to but not able to go faster after that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are the front tires the same size as the back? (they look bigger in the photo)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Mine sounds similar to Jackals

It sounds a lot like the problems @JACKAL had I'm a little concerned tot. Have you done a service yet? Have you tried switching back yet?

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
It sounds a lot like the problems @JACKAL had I'm a little concerned tot. Have you done a service yet? Have you tried switching back yet?
It had its 1st service in march a couple weeks after I bought it. It has 360 miles on it now. I haven't had time to take the snorkel off and put the stock intake back together.

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Speeds are consistently. 54-56 usually

RPMs are around 6-7000. When I add gas it cuts out or surges till I let off. The RPMs drop some when it surges. Then I can maintain whatever speed it drops to but not able to go faster after that.

@Tot I had this issue when going from the OEM 25.5" actual (27" Bighorn 2) tires to 30x10x14 Roctane XD tires on all four corners that were 30.4" actual. This also jumped the tire weight from approximately 28# per tire to 44# per tire. What I believe caused the machine to limit the speed was a combination of the computer sensing an excessive load on the drive line & the tires at speed were rubbing in straight line on the outer most black plastic at 40+ mph. On that same day I switched back and forth from OEM to the 30" Roctane tires 3 times that day. With OEM it immediately went back to running 66 mph and ran / revved normally. When I put the heavy 30" tires back on it refused to go faster than 51 mph and surged like either out of air or bouncing off rev limiter each time. Each time went back to OEM ran perfect.

I ended up going to 28x10x14 Roctane XD that are 28.4" actual height no rubbing and weighed 10# per tire less than the 30" version. With the 28" it maxes out at about 60 mph and does not surge at all.

The on board computers take many readings 14 different ones alone just to determine when to shift and engage and disengage the clutch. In short I think what you are experiencing is the machines electronics responding to a drive train load heavier than it is programmed for, much like all the new diesel trucks you can program new transmission shift points, how harsh it will shift etc. I don't think your machine is going bad. It is we just don't have the technology available to us yet to reprogram the computers to adapt to the changes in the tire sizes and weights many of us are experimenting with.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I knew you'd have a good answer.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Also to note, the computer kind of adapts to how it is being driven, the anomaly may not immediately be experienced but within a short period of driving the electronics react to the increased load.

Example you tend to drive real easy it will start up shifting at lower rpm, you drive more aggressively it will start shifting at a little higher rpm based on what the computer anticipates how you want to drive. It is pretty fuzzy logic. But that is my experience with it.

Also when I had clutch issues I was running OEM tires, only drove the 30" for 40 miles testing them. By the time I got the 28" tires the clutch was shuddering on takeoff and revving 2k rpm higher into to 3rd & 5th gear only. One thing had nothing to do with the other.

M

Mountie

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
West By God....
Just a shot in the dark here, Jackal. Speaking of adaptation of the ECM, I wonder if a battery disconnect for 10min would reset the adaptation parameters?

Reactions: Tot
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is a weird thing to me. I understand how heavier tires effect a vehicle but it's crazy on this that it could come down to electronics. It seams weird that the motor would rev like it does. Again thank you for your thoughts Jackal as that helps tremendously. I wonder if there is a way around this because like @Tot im planning on running a heavy ply truck tire for longevity during the dry months.

Reactions: Tot
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just a shot in the dark here, Jackal. Speaking of adaptation of the ECM, I wonder if a battery disconnect for 10min would reset the adaptation parameters?
Not sure that does any good, it will still return to acting in response to the load on the system if too heavy a tire combination is still ran.

Could try a clutch initialization procedure as in shop manual, but I did it 3x as well. Dint change anything.

Neither is the solution, the solution is to program the ecm for the specific tire combination. Unless you have good friends in HRC or HPD good luck with that. ;)

M

Mountie

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
West By God....
Agreed, Jackal. Changing torque and load targets is something that would could possibly never see with this platform, unfortunately.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here ya go boys. Testing this was a nice getaway to get out of the office for a few minutes. This video shows bad bouncing from the tires and a decent top speed. I have probably one of the heaviest pioneers out there, and it still seems to perform great. I am not sure what actual speed is. Maybe I should go check it.

Sent from my iPad 7G

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!