P700 I have a confession, a paddle shift confession

• Thread starter livefromthetree
  • Start date
livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've had my 700-2 deluxe for a year and a half now and about to hit 2,000 miles. Many times on here we've talked about how some of us use the paddles and others never use them. I've always said that I cant find a logical reason to use them, that the auto trans is fine...while others said they use them all the time.

Well my confession is that until last week I had no idea that I could use the paddles while running in auto mode. My dumb ass was thinking the entire time that I had to switch it to MT to use the paddles and that was a pain to have to constantly mess with so I just left it in auto. Last week on my evening ride I pulled the upshift paddle by accident and the damned thing shifted into 2nd...sped up to about 17 when it started to wind out, pulled it again and it hit 3rd!!! So I can shift up to keep it from winding out between auto shifts and I dont have to mess with it because it will drop back down on it's own or if I dont want to mess with it it will up and down on it's own.

Now I use it on every single ride when just creeping along and not getting into the throttle. Much more enjoyable.

Ok confession time is over, carry on 😅
20210616 175748

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've had my 700-2 deluxe for a year and a half now and about to hit 2,000 miles. Many times on here we've talked about how some of us use the paddles and others never use them. I've always said that I cant find a logical reason to use them, that the auto trans is fine...while others said they use them all the time.

Well my confession is that until last week I had no idea that I could use the paddles while running in auto mode. My dumb ass was thinking the entire time that I had to switch it to MT to use the paddles and that was a pain to have to constantly mess with so I just left it in auto. Last week on my evening ride I pulled the upshift paddle by accident and the damned thing shifted into 2nd...sped up to about 17 when it started to wind out, pulled it again and it hit 3rd!!! So I can shift up to keep it from winding out between auto shifts and I dont have to mess with it because it will drop back down on it's own or if I dont want to mess with it it will up and down on it's own.

Now I use it on every single ride when just creeping along and not getting into the throttle. Much more enjoyable.

Ok confession time is over, carry on 😅
View attachment 282549
🤪
That's pretty much how I use mine...when I use 'em.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yup, I’m a ‘short-shifter’ and that’s why I love the paddles. The shift program is about perfect when I’m in a hurry but holds each gear too long when I’m just cruising. I use the upshift paddle 20 to 1 over the down shifter.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've had my 700-4 since January and didn't realize you could do this without switching the m/t switch as well. Thanks for making me feel stupid LOL.

My life is complete now. Not because you feel like an idiot, but I have helped one new paddle shifter 😅

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is one area where I feel like a 700 has changed since my original 2014. I feel like it was much more likely to upshifting early under light loads. Because of this, I'd always said I didn't really feel like the paddles were necessary.

Having taken delivery of my 2020, I immediately felt like it was much more aggressive in holding gears at light throttle. Not a huge difference but noticeable. For that reason I'm actually glad I got the deluxe with a paddle shifters.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!