P500 I need your expertise!!

J

JTW

Welcome to the club. You will be great with 26x9x12 all the way around on OEM wheels. I have been running 26x9x12 Roctane XD tires on OEM wheels for a year now no problem.

If I decided to run the same on all 4's I'll prolly go ahead and buy wheels. Looks like it'll be about $200 more to do so.

J

JTW

Welcome jtw! You are going to be pretty popular in the 500 section if you get the first 2017.
Lol.. Or pretty pissed depending on how this new transmission performs. I already see a couple things on the 17 I'm not crazy about, rops and seatbelt being those. But I'll reserve judgment until arrival.

J

JTW

If you're wanting to run oversize tires and want the maximum ground clearance, you may be better off buying a '16. The '17 as I understand it has the "Canadian" recall shocks which supposedly makes the machine sit about an inch lower.

I just recently ran across that in a post somewhere .. But was under the impression the 17's would still have the original ground clearance. I can't imagine Honda lowering it an inch. But if so I would think I could trade or buy some 16 shocks to replace them. I guess I'm really at a stand still on this whole tire thing. I'm leaning towards 26x9or11x12 on aftermarket wheels. Power, ground clearance, "tippyness", machine width, new gearing, new shocks, new auto trans... There's a lot of s*** to consider and my time window is short depending on when the 17's come in.. We leave the 7th of October and I hear mid September for arrival of the 17's

Reactions: 100Acre
J

JTW

The Rip Saws run way undersize. In fact the 25" are barely any bigger than the stock 24". I know I measured an installed set, and think they were right at 24". The stock tires are around 23.5" or so.
They are tough tires, but I feel are too heavy for the P500.
Thoughts on a 26x9 bighorn original then? Too heavy?

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Hello, @JTW. I've been running 27"x11"x14" Ripsaws for well over 3,000 miles. I run coastal swamps to low mountain trails (less than 4,000 feet), and use the P500 as my daily driver here in AK. I have never ran out of power, and run 3rd gear for most of my off-roading. I wouldn't hesitate running wider tires up front, as it actually improves the steering, (Larger contact patch=lower psi), and gives you more floatation in soft terrain. I would go with aftermarket wheels to simplify things. Just buy one extra, and have a full-sized spare. Ha! 27" tires have served me well, but the popular compromise has seemed to be 26s. I hope you enjoy your new P500.

Reactions: solrus and JTW
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
If you're wanting to run oversize tires and want the maximum ground clearance, you may be better off buying a '16. The '17 as I understand it has the "Canadian" recall shocks which supposedly makes the machine sit about an inch lower.

The recall shocks are lower and much more compliant especially for smaller bumps. What I did was put in a 1/2" spacer (tried 1" and felt they where too stiff for what I do). I've ridden the stock set up and have removed the anti sway bar, now with 1/2" spacer and recall shocks on lowest setting the ride is much improved, I think I'll try it with anti sway re installed, just to see. I'm estimating with 1/2" spacers I'm still taller then completely stock (24" tires), however it gets to be a bit hair splitting as I've installed a custom UHMW skid plate that's thicker than stock and running 26" tires that have 1/4" wear on them, plus extra weight in custom cab, auxilliary battery, winch bla bla bla. Suffice to say I don't really notice the "loss" in clearance, but most certainly notice the improved ride.

In terms of "tippiness" what I've noticed in general coming from extensive ridding on an ATV, this machine you sit in. So the sensory perseption gets messed up as I find not "seeing" the wheels (and how far in the air they are) gets uncomfortable way earlier compared to sittin on an ATV where you see the wheels and can use body English. I've parked it on a side hill where I know I'd be feeling uncomfortable on an ATV, got out and tried to pull it over.... Nope couldn't do it, solid, however backing it up to get x slope felt awful. For me backing up x slope on the low side feels nasty, and generally its not even close to flopping.

j

Reactions: JTW and Dp5hunter
locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
The Rip Saws run way undersize. In fact the 25" are barely any bigger than the stock 24". I know I measured an installed set, and think they were right at 24". The stock tires are around 23.5" or so.
They are tough tires, but I feel are too heavy for the P500.

Just measured mine at #7 they are 24 3/8". Which is fine for me. The power loss from elevation pretty much in my opinion eliminates the larger diameter tires due to HP loss for me. What I can now do in 2nd I don't believe I could do with 27" tires. Everybody is different in their needs which is what makes tires such a tough choice. My starting elevation is 9500' and everything is up from there.

I am happy with the rip saws for my application but everybody is different. Tires are like girlfriends. There are a lot of choices.

Reactions: 100Acre and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I understand what you're saying.. And somewhat agree. It's that 10% where it's needed.. I say this from experience with the grizzly and my personal riding style. Also, hope I'm not coming off as a prick! I'm having to hurry and type between clients. Lol.. What setup are you running? 26x?x? Wheels?
No worries bud. I'm running the Bighorns on stock wheels, 9" front and 11" rear.

Reactions: JTW
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good tires:
Get you through the rough places
Make you proud to show your buddies
Won't leave you stranded

Bad Tires:
Are ugly
Leave you stuck in a rut
Fail you when you need them the most

Yep Just like girlfriends.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I agree with the narrow tire size.. My 1948 Willys taught me that. what gear do you find yourself most in when riding hard or climbing hills?

I used the Willys as a role model myself.

1st gear for hills I can't walk up or cars.., 2nd for the normal hills. I typically have two people in the thing. I should point out that I added 2" (USA made) spacers on each corner.

IMG 2524

MrP500

MrP500

Aug 13, 2016
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
No worries bud. I'm running the Bighorns on stock wheels, 9" front and 11" rear.
Monte, I was thinking about getting a set of the Bighorn 2.0's for my P500. I hear they are a good all around tire. Was thinking about the 26" as well. I've read a lot of talk about bigger tires having an effect on the machines power, do you find this to be true? Anything you dislike about this tire?

Reactions: trigger
J

JTW

Monte, I was thinking about getting a set of the Bighorn 2.0's for my P500. I hear they are a good all around tire. Was thinking about the 26" as well. I've read a lot of talk about bigger tires having an effect on the machines power, do you find this to be true? Anything you dislike about this tire?
Per Monte's input and others.. I faced the same decision as you. I went with 26x9x12 bighorn originals on all four corners and I'm happy. The originals offer a little more meat on the tire, in the tread and side wall. Power loss isn't an issue and I'm not sure the gearing isn't better due to the increase in size. I may even go with 27's next go around! The increase in ground clearance from the stock 24's to the 26's makes a world of difference. Not to mention a much improved ride quality with the higher side walls.

Reactions: joeymt33
MrP500

MrP500

Aug 13, 2016
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
Per Monte's input and others.. I faced the same decision as you. I went with 26x9x12 bighorn originals on all four corners and I'm happy. The originals offer a little more meat on the tire, in the tread and side wall. Power loss isn't an issue and I'm not sure the gearing isn't better due to the increase in size. I may even go with 27's next go around! The increase in ground clearance from the stock 24's to the 26's makes a world of difference. Not to mention a much improved ride quality with the higher side walls.
So you went with the same width tire on all four corners? Did you keep the stock rims? I know the stock wheels are different widths front and rear, this wasn't an issue?

J

JTW

So you went with the same width tire on all four corners? Did you keep the stock rims? I know the stock wheels are different widths front and rear, this wasn't an issue?
Yes and no.. I have 5+2 wheels for it but they didn't come in in time for our big ride.. so the stock rims were used. No issues. I decided to spend the $200 for wheels because I wanted the option of rotating tires and having one spare fit all. It also widens the machine a little and makes it a bit more stable.
The dealer allowed be $200 on the stock tires so it was really a wash. The wheels alone will pay for themselves in the ability to rotate your tires if you ride much blacktop. If you don't care about rotating or having one spare, then by all means put wider on the back. As for tire height.. go with the 26 and I know you'll be happy!

Reactions: cornbread
MrP500

MrP500

Aug 13, 2016
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
Yes and no.. I have 5+2 wheels for it but they didn't come in in time for our big ride.. so the stock rims were used. No issues. I decided to spend the $200 for wheels because I wanted the option of rotating tires and having one spare fit all. It also widens the machine a little and makes it a bit more stable.
The dealer allowed be $200 on the stock tires so it was really a wash. The wheels alone will pay for themselves in the ability to rotate your tires if you ride much blacktop. If you don't care about rotating or having one spare, then by all means put wider on the back. As for tire height.. go with the 26 and I know you'll be happy!
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Never had any issues with mine. They're a good all around tire. Light, good traction and have worn fine so far.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
True...you go up..
gotta go out...or
your more tippy

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome jtw! You are going to be pretty popular in the 500 section if you get the first 2017.
It was not...the new P5
that brought him fame
here....
HUH...BLAZE

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!