P500 I need your expertise!!

J

JTW

Hello all,

I've been quietly stalking you guys for several weeks now and like that perverted "uncle" peeping through your window.. I've finally decided to make my move!!

I've ordered a 2017 p500 and have already gone to ordering a s*** load of parts. Lol.. We have a ride scheduled in early October so I'm getting my ducks in a row for a short window of rigging my bike and getting her ready.

After scouring your posts, I'm torn between tire size. I'm going with bighorn originals.. 26 or 27's? 9 or 11 wide? I'd prefer to run the same size all around (I think). Should I stick with the stock wheels or do an off set wheel? I'll keep 12's regardless. I'm in Central Ky and don't particularly care for deep muddling. I'll run black top, gravel, steep hills and hollers, really just a broad mix of about anything. We've been know to take off out west to Moab to ride and it will most certainly be a hunt'n rig. I'm concerned about giving up too much bottom end for trail riding with a too large a tire. But I want the ground clearance and aggressive look to boot. I'm concerned the 26 or 27's at 11"will be too much drag on the already borderline 500. I'm concerned 27 or 26's at 9" all around will be a little less stable. I still want to keep it on the small size but I don't mind to give up a couple inches if it's worth while. I've ridden one with stock tires and then after he put 25's on and today riding there were times it just didn't seem like it had the s*** it should have. At one point we were pulling a VERY stuck friend out and in 4 wheel dive, in low gear and the pioneer wouldn't even spin the tires. It just lugged down and sat at a stand still. This is where I need your fist hand experience with size and type of conditions and riding. What are the advantages and disadvantages of my choices? I've also come to think about how is the new automatic ability going to handle the added weight/size. With all that said, help me out fellers!

Ps.. You will be graded on your answers! Lol

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Let me be the first to welcome you JT. I have a 700 so I will let others weigh in with your answers.

Reactions: JTW

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all,

I've been quietly stalking you guys for several weeks now and like that perverted "uncle" peeping through your window.. I've finally decided to make my move!!

I've ordered a 2017 p500 and have already gone to ordering a s*** load of parts. Lol.. We have a ride scheduled in early October so I'm getting my ducks in a row for a short window of rigging my bike and getting her ready.

After scouring your posts, I'm torn between tire size. I'm going with bighorn originals.. 26 or 27's? 9 or 11 wide? I'd prefer to run the same size all around (I think). Should I stick with the stock wheels or do an off set wheel? I'll keep 12's regardless. I'm in Central Ky and don't particularly care for deep muddling. I'll run black top, gravel, steep hills and hollers, really just a broad mix of about anything. We've been know to take off out west to Moab to ride and it will most certainly be a hunt'n rig. I'm concerned about giving up too much bottom end for trail riding with a too large a tire. But I want the ground clearance and aggressive look to boot. I'm concerned the 26 or 27's at 11"will be too much drag on the already borderline 500. I'm concerned 27 or 26's at 9" all around will be a little less stable. I still want to keep it on the small size but I don't mind to give up a couple inches if it's worth while. I've ridden one with stock tires and then after he put 25's on and today riding there were times it just didn't seem like it had the s*** it should have. At one point we were pulling a VERY stuck friend out and in 4 wheel dive, in low gear and the pioneer wouldn't even spin the tires. It just lugged down and sat at a stand still. This is where I need your fist hand experience with size and type of conditions and riding. What are the advantages and disadvantages of my choices? I've also come to think about how is the new automatic ability going to handle the added weight/size. With all that said, help me out fellers!

One thing- if you are doing same size non-directional tires on all four, don't kill the benefit of this by keeping stock wheels. Get same wheels on all fours as well so you can at least take advantage of being able to rotate any tire and wheel to any corner.

Reactions: solrus and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Welcome JTW! You didn't mention it so I'm assuming you don't haul it in the bed of your truck, or ride restricted trails. Offset wheels is preferred to spacers for widening your foot print. IMO, 26" tires is the tallest you should go. I noticed a bit of loss in power/tork with them, anymore I think would become a big problem. Bighorns are a good choice. The wider you go on the front, the more you diminish your steering. I notice you waited to the wee hours to sneak in on us!

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hello all,

Welcome aboard JTW. What color '17 did you order?
I looked at the original BH's too, beefy and resilient but heavy. I was concerned about the P5 being able to turn them in all conditions so I opted for the 2.0's because they're lighter. Haven't been in a situation yet that it wouldn't spin em.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
BTW JTW, it's got a wee 475cc in it. Don't have exaggerated expectations. It's not going to be like a Polaris Ranger 900 or a Honda 1000. It's superior to them though in other ways.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I wouldn't buy tires rims till I took it for a ride. Seems the 2017 has final drive and possibly tranny gear ratio changes. Now having said that very happy with my sig ride with 26 by 11 by 12 tires on 5-2 offset rims on all four corners. Will throw a little mud off the front, but fender extenders controls that nicely and are easy to make/purchase. As Montecresto has noted don't get over inflated expectations, it's not a straight line speed demon, nor a stump jumpin race rig, if you're looking for that you'll be disappointed. It is a compact agile Honda legendary durable rig that will stand the test of time. Ideally if it had a little broader power band (hopefully aftermarket will make exhaust etc.), would be ideal for running larger tires. Mine typically runs outa jam between 4th and 5th say on road pulling a 6-8% sustained grade, it'll pull down causing a shift to 4th, then a buzzy engine, I usually let up at this point. I think a tuner, exhaust would smarten that up though.
Welcome and good luck with the 17 looking forward to comparisons.

j

J

JTW

Thanks for the input.. I won't buy them until I do ride it as I'm sure it will be different than the 16 my buddy has. I'm leaning towards the 26's, but a wide 27 just looks sooooo good! Lol.. I've noticed some running 26x9x12 on stock wheels.. What's the reasoning for this? I realize the 500 is no speed demon and I'm sure I'll miss it coming from a 660 grizzly, but for 90% of my riding with wife, 8 year old daughter and 8 month old little girl.. It should be fine. I have jeeps.. rubicon, 48 Willys, and have never been a big sxs guy due to the size of most and the noise.. Love the rhino it's just too damn loud. So the little quiet pioneer should work well as an all around side by side-4 wheeler. They do need that locker though. I just don't get that. As for color, I'll go with that fugly green or if I hate it too much.. Camo.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for the input.. I won't buy them until I do ride it as I'm sure it will be different than the 16 my buddy has. I'm leaning towards the 26's, but a wide 27 just looks sooooo good! Lol.. I've noticed some running 26x9x12 on stock wheels.. What's the reasoning for this? I realize the 500 is no speed demon and I'm sure I'll miss it coming from a 660 grizzly, but for 90% of my riding with wife, 8 year old daughter and 8 month old little girl.. It should be fine. I have jeeps.. rubicon, 48 Willys, and have never been a big sxs guy due to the size of most and the noise.. Love the rhino it's just too damn loud. So the little quiet pioneer should work well as an all around side by side-4 wheeler. They do need that locker though. I just don't get that. As for color, I'll go with that fugly green or if I hate it too much.. Camo.
The locker truly isn't that big of a deal on this sxs, especially sense you have said that 90% of your riding will be with your young family. As to bigger tires looking so good, aesthetics shouldn't trump the practical, IMO. As for people running stock wheels, that's mostly to maintain the integrity of the P5's engineered width.

J

JTW

The locker truly isn't that big of a deal on this sxs, especially sense you have said that 90% of your riding will be with your young family. As to bigger tires looking so good, aesthetics shouldn't trump the practical, IMO. As for people running stock wheels, that's mostly to maintain the integrity of the P5's engineered width.

A locker isn't a big deal until it is.. There's just no reason not to for this type of machine. It would be safer and more practical even for around the farm use. I agree that aesthetics shouldn't trump practicality.. That's why I'm here asking for your alls expertise and experience. I see mixed reviews on it from guys out west.. I figure if a p500 can run wide 27's in the Rockys then it would be ok for what I want. But if performance is substantially hindered I'm not interested. I noticed a difference from the stock 24's to the 25's on my buddy's 16 p500. However, that extra ground clearance is important too and I think a 26 will suit me better. I'm extremely particular and don't mind to spend the $$ but loath wasting it! I'd prefer the bighorn originals because I will take it elk hunting or riding out west and like the extra protection but will also ride the blacktop to the farm around here. It's truly going to be an all round machine.

Reactions: SBuckJ
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
A locker isn't a big deal until it is.. There's just no reason not to for this type of machine. It would be safer and more practical even for around the farm use. I agree that aesthetics shouldn't trump practicality.. That's why I'm here asking for your alls expertise and experience. I see mixed reviews on it from guys out west.. I figure if a p500 can run wide 27's in the Rockys then it would be ok for what I want. But if performance is substantially hindered I'm not interested. I noticed a difference from the stock 24's to the 25's on my buddy's 16 p500. However, that extra ground clearance is important too and I think a 26 will suit me better. I'm extremely particular and don't mind to spend the $$ but loath wasting it! I'd prefer the bighorn originals because I will take it elk hunting or riding out west and like the extra protection but will also ride the blacktop to the farm around here. It's truly going to be an all round machine.
Well, you asked for our expertise. I've had mine for over two years and closing on 2,000 miles and I've used my winch just once. I've been in most every conceivable circumstance and have found that it's not a big deal. If you're planing on getting yourself into situations that you need a locker with a baby on board, the P5 may be a disappointment to you. But honestly, I don't find it to be a problem at all. Whatever you do, I hope your happy in the end and have many a fun safe trail experience. :)

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500

I just put Sedona Rip-Saws on mine and they are 25 x 12 on the stock rims. Just went out and measured them and they are 49 5/8" over the outside. I have enough miles on mine to honestly say that between our horsepower loss due to elevation and the terrain I generally ride in I don't want to loose anything with taller tires. But then I ride at 10,000 plus feet most of the time and the horsepower loss is about 2% per 1000 feet.

I imagine if I ever get close to sea level I will think the motor has been turbo charged.

Good luck S x S hunting. The little Honda is fun.

Reactions: 100Acre and JTW
J

JTW

I understand what you're saying.. And somewhat agree. It's that 10% where it's needed.. I say this from experience with the grizzly and my personal riding style. Also, hope I'm not coming off as a prick! I'm having to hurry and type between clients. Lol.. What setup are you running? 26x?x? Wheels?

J

JTW

I just put Sedona Rip-Saws on mine and they are 25 x 12 on the stock rims. Just went out and measured them and they are 49 5/8" over the outside. I have enough miles on mine to honestly say that between our horsepower loss due to elevation and the terrain I generally ride in I don't want to loose anything with taller tires. But then I ride at 10,000 plus feet most of the time and the horsepower loss is about 2% per 1000 feet.

I imagine if I ever get close to sea level I will think the motor has been turbo charged.

Good luck S x S hunting. The little Honda is fun.
Thanks for that!! Good info right there!

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I like tall and narrow tires myself, compaction is key for how and where I ride. But as mentioned above you should wait to see what the 1st gear is like. I have 30" x 8" on 12" rims. I find that in heavy mud a 14" rim would pack less between the caliper and the rim, but other than that I can climb a ladder or slog through trails with deep jeep ruts easier than the other guys. I would never go less than 28" tall. My limitation is the short wheelbase, it does keep me from trying one or two hills that the 4 seater guys run up. But, I ride with many RZR's that could not drive over a bowling ball, its sad really. With the 30's and no lift kit I can drive over a milk crate, and while that's not a 5 gallon bucket it lets me go places at just above idle that bigger "Belly dragger" buggies need to use that 100hp to cross.

Just my .02

Reactions: trigger and JTW
J

JTW

I like tall and narrow tires myself, compaction is key for how and where I ride. But as mentioned above you should wait to see what the 1st gear is like. I have 30" x 8" on 12" rims. I find that in heavy mud a 14" rim would pack less between the caliper and the rim, but other than that I can climb a ladder or slog through trails with deep jeep ruts easier than the other guys. I would never go less than 28" tall. My limitation is the short wheelbase, it does keep me from trying one or two hills that the 4 seater guys run up. But, I ride with many RZR's that could not drive over a bowling ball, its sad really. With the 30's and no lift kit I can drive over a milk crate, and while that's not a 5 gallon bucket it lets me go places at just above idle that bigger "Belly dragger" buggies need to use that 100hp to cross.

Just my .02
I agree with the narrow tire size.. My 1948 Willys taught me that. what gear do you find yourself most in when riding hard or climbing hills?

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for that!! Good info right there!

Where you ride one must assume has a lot to do with tire choice. I just came back Saturday from nothing but very steep rock and 11,000 foot elevations. Mud is almost never a concern for me but traction on the rock and low end power is needed. I found the stock tires to be very slippery in my environment hence my change but I definitely wanted to keep the width at the 50" for some trails.

It would seem if tipping is that much of a concern then a person should consider a wider machine unless of course you are absolutely limited to 50" trails. We have a few that the posts are set so close it would be ugly to get anything bigger through. But again its a personal choice and personal decision. Then there is the mad off road sticker checkers with measure tapes.

I got into a position this weekend where I needed to turn around and there was darn little room to do it. The trail was so steep if I even tried I knew we were going over and it was 1/4 mile of 35 to 40 degree slop to the bottom. So we just backed down this slop until we would work something out. Very narrow trail and not fun. My point to the story is anything will tip if you put it in the position to tip.

All the best to you with the new toy when it arrives.

Reactions: 100Acre and JTW
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome jtw! You are going to be pretty popular in the 500 section if you get the first 2017.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello all,

Welcome to the club. You will be great with 26x9x12 all the way around on OEM wheels. I have been running 26x9x12 Roctane XD tires on OEM wheels for a year now no problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!