i4wd

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I gotta say, I assumed I'd need the IGR with the 32s. But I was pleasantly surprised to find out that at slow speeds I didn't notice a huge difference. I still want an IGR or Honda to make it lower on a new release, but. My 32s only measure 31 on the machine, 31.5 not on the machine. And they are pretty light weight.

Reactions: TripleB and TimG
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I gotta say, I assumed I'd need the IGR with the 32s. But I was pleasantly surprised to find out that at slow speeds I didn't notice a huge difference. I still want an IGR or Honda to make it lower on a new release, but. My 32s only measure 31 on the machine, 31.5 not on the machine. And they are pretty light weight.
In fairness the hills of the ozarks don’t compare to the Rocky Mountains. I’m having difficulty with stock 28’s, no way I’d do 32’s without the IGR.
But another point of difference for you and I is that I’ve got an X4 which is a bit heavier, and a lot heavier when I’ve got 3 passengers.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like a no go. But sure would be sweet if it was a direct fit...
Screenshot 20200710 095513
Screenshot 20200710 095940
Screenshot 20200710 095513 Screenshot 20200710 095513

Reactions: TimG
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I lived in Vail Colorado for the last 8 years. Had one of the pioneers out there. The part of the Colorado Rockies that I rode was actually much tamer than the ozark hills I'm in now. I'm sure it varies from place to place though. Your part of the Rockies might be rougher than where I was at. The extra weight of the x4 would definitely be bad, but that breakover would keep you from making a lot of the climbs here, you'd high center really often. All the guys with 4 seat rzrs (that actually hit the climbs) seem to being running high clearance everything and 35s. Some of the steep climbs here look like a grave yard, just a bunch of jagged head stones sticking up out of the trail lol. I needed the 32s to gain a little ground clearance and keep my tires from falling into gaps as easy.

Would be nice to walk a hill at like 1 or 2 mph, 2000+ rpm, and locked front and rear though. This thing would be perfect then...

Reactions: TimG and TripleB
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
How are you profiting during the virus? Just curious what you do for a living. My job is secure, was a trooper colorado state patrol, now illinois department of corrections. I know a lot of people with secure jobs, but I don't think I know any that are making even more money? Well that's a lie dang it, I'm making 12% more right now for hazardous "pandemic pay" lol. Freaking Illinois, no wonder they are so far in debt.

Off topic but.

Good luck with that mess with SMI/ transgender sensitivity training. Did 27 years with IDOC retired April 2016 just as the insanity started.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
How are you profiting during the virus? Just curious what you do for a living. My job is secure, was a trooper colorado state patrol, now illinois department of corrections. I know a lot of people with secure jobs, but I don't think I know any that are making even more money? Well that's a lie dang it, I'm making 12% more right now for hazardous "pandemic pay" lol. Freaking Illinois, no wonder they are so far in debt.
So you had to move from Gypsum, Colorado to Illannoys? :oops: My sympathies. :confused: Sadly, Colorado has long since stepped on that slippery slope. :confused:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I lived in Vail Colorado for the last 8 years. Had one of the pioneers out there. The part of the Colorado Rockies that I rode was actually much tamer than the ozark hills I'm in now. I'm sure it varies from place to place though. Your part of the Rockies might be rougher than where I was at. The extra weight of the x4 would definitely be bad, but that breakover would keep you from making a lot of the climbs here, you'd high center really often. All the guys with 4 seat rzrs (that actually hit the climbs) seem to being running high clearance everything and 35s. Some of the steep climbs here look like a grave yard, just a bunch of jagged head stones sticking up out of the trail lol. I needed the 32s to gain a little ground clearance and keep my tires from falling into gaps as easy.

Would be nice to walk a hill at like 1 or 2 mph, 2000+ rpm, and locked front and rear though. This thing would be perfect then...
My comments were certainly not meant to be argumentative with you. I’m just expressing my concerns and needs with the Talon based on my experience and the terrain in which I ride...and the remedy I’m considering.....😎 Due to the X4’s length, I can understand why people riding where you are in the ozarks would need the 32’s. I could use them too, but without a low range IGR, I won’t be able to climb these tough (but awesome) Rocky Mountains.....✌️

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I figure there probably are. Seems like most people that have real jobs were deemed essential one way or another and never stopped.
It’s not just that, cottage industries are springing up left and right. Alcohol sales have been up during Covid and alcohol producers are selling the hell out of hand sanitizers as well as increased sales of liquor. Cleaning services are springing up, I could go on at length with the opportunities Covid has presented Americans with. With the SAHO’s my industry was initially impacted but that’s turning around and looks like things are going to be better than they were.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My comments were certainly not meant to be argumentative with you. I’m just expressing my concerns and needs with the Talon based on my experience and the terrain in which I ride...and the remedy I’m considering.....😎 Due to the X4’s length, I can understand why people riding where you are in the ozarks would need the 32’s. I could use them too, but without a low range IGR, I won’t be able to climb these tough (but awesome) Rocky Mountains.....✌
No worries man. Don't discount these Ozarks though lol. Definitely not my home here, and I miss the Rockies everyday (biggest mistaken of my life to move). But the rocks down here are something else.

Dang it man, now you got me dreaming about the mountains again. My wife and I were just talking the other day... if the housing market would just crash again, we will move back. And I will buy as many condos and duplexes as I can get approved for lol.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No worries man. Don't discount these Ozarks though lol. Definitely not my home here, and I miss the Rockies everyday (biggest mistaken of my life to move). But the rocks down here are something else.

Dang it man, now you got me dreaming about the mountains again. My wife and I were just talking the other day... if the housing market would just crash again, we will move back. And I will buy as many condos and duplexes as I can get approved for lol.
No discount to the Ozarks.
Not the Colorado Rockies but here’s a teaser.....

06654234 1AD9 4840 81AE EDE0D9211FC3
B7803C58 345F 495E 8C7A AC721CE8DE3F
7DEA5203 6169 478A 8F4F 21CB9DF39D07
7EC06251 3084 4B77 9DF1 558F48678C7B
FA7CE2CE 1EAC 4348 9321 8CB9A5025D47

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So you had to move from Gypsum, Colorado to Illannoys? :oops: My sympathies. :confused: Sadly, Colorado has long since stepped on that slippery slope. :confused:

Ha, thanks. Didn't have too. I was born in IL, all my family is here. My 2 brothers and I all have kids the same age now and I wanted mine to grow up with their cousins... hindsite, growing up with cousins is overrated hahaha.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Off topic but.

Good luck with that mess with SMI/ transgender sensitivity training. Did 27 years with IDOC retired April 2016 just as the insanity started.

It started while I was a trooper in Colorado. Haven't had too much of an issue. I actually work juvenile and we don't have a big population that belong to the lgbtqi. But the training is still there. Actually thought it would be interesting to help kids change their life and get out of prison, opposed to sending people to prison. I was mistaken. They can't wait to get out and do it all over again. Can't convince them otherwise.

• Sad
Reactions: JACKAL and TimG
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
My comments were certainly not meant to be argumentative with you. I’m just expressing my concerns and needs with the Talon based on my experience and the terrain in which I ride...and the remedy I’m considering.....😎 Due to the X4’s length, I can understand why people riding where you are in the ozarks would need the 32’s. I could use them too, but without a low range IGR, I won’t be able to climb these tough (but awesome) Rocky Mountains.....✌
You have to keep in mind that the Ozarks are from 500 to 2,600 feet and the Rockies are from 5,000 to over 14,000 feet. The altitude up here sucks the life out of us so (power wise) running 28's at 10,000 feet is actually worse than 32's at 2,000 feet. And your 4 seater has another ~200 lbs more than the 2 seater. That is why you often hear such varying opinions/information on how tire size affects performance. Comparing tire size vs. performance is more meaningful if you qualify your results with your normal riding altitude(s).

Where I mainly ride (between 5,000 and 10,000 feet) 30's are the limit in my opinion. Took my machine to Sand Hollow (3,000 foot level) and it felt so much better and made me understand why folks in the <2500 foot level mostly say 32's are fine.

Personally, I am considering 32's and 25% IGR in the future. I believe this would be a pretty good combo for higher altitude riders like us.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You have to keep in mind that the Ozarks are from 500 to 2,600 feet and the Rockies are from 5,000 to over 14,000 feet. The altitude up here sucks the life out of us so (power wise) running 28's at 10,000 feet is actually worse than 32's at 2,000 feet. And your 4 seater has another ~200 lbs more than the 2 seater. That is why you often hear such varying opinions/information on how tire size affects performance. Comparing tire size vs. performance is more meaningful if you qualify your results with your normal riding altitude(s).

Where I mainly ride (between 5,000 and 10,000 feet) 30's are the limit in my opinion. Took my machine to Sand Hollow (3,000 foot level) and it felt so much better and made me understand why folks in the <2500 foot level mostly say 32's are fine.

Personally, I am considering 32's and 25% IGR in the future. I believe this would be a pretty good combo for higher altitude riders like us.
Oh I’m very aware of the elevation disparity between the Ozarks and the Rockies.

Sounds like you and I have similar plans for our Talon’s.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oh I’m very aware of the elevation disparity between the Ozarks and the Rockies.

Sounds like you and I have similar plans for our Talon’s.
I figured you experienced the power sucking altitude. I was posting that info for the non-oxygen deprived readers so they understand what we keep b****ing about. I just isn't the same up here but we can drink them under the table (up here anyway) :)

• Haha
Reactions: Montecresto and CID
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I figured you experienced the power sucking altitude. I was posting that info for the non-oxygen deprived readers so they understand what we keep b****ing about. I just isn't the same up here but we can drink them under the table (up here anyway) :)
Wouldn't it be easier to just add an oxygen injector?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
🤣
You probably weren’t here at the time, but I started out with a 700 up here. Without a low range, that lasted a minute, had to ditch it. You’re right, elevation zaps power...

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Isn't it something like 2% power loss per 1000 ft of elevation? I know it seemed like that in my carbureted foreman. The pioneer 1000 honestly didn't feel too much different at 9000ft compared too 300ft in IL. Noticeable, but not 20% less. Oxygen injector lol... turbo should help it seems like.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love the "drink um under the table" comment. Aint that the truth! Both my kids were born in Vail. My son runs, in his words, "to get energy". So far, going back to Colorado I'm still good with the elevation. Having flatlanders come visit was one of the best parts about living there. I did a lot of backpacking there. When guys from back home would come out theyd be dying, called me a Billy goat for climbing 14ers with seemingly no effort, compared to them. I was only a mediocre hiker. I tried to tell them there were guys in Colorado that ran 14ers, and were done before we even started up, they didn't believe it, until they saw it lol.

One of the last hikes I did was holy cross, with my brother and one of his friends. We made it a 3 day deal. Packed in and camped at the base, day 2 kill the 14er without a load lol, day 3 hike out. They were literally dying, I thought they wouldn't make it haha. Meanwhile there were guys packing in margarita machines and full bbq grills then trail running the climb.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!