PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Isn't it something like 2% power loss per 1000 ft of elevation? I know it seemed like that in my carbureted foreman. The pioneer 1000 honestly didn't feel too much different at 9000ft compared too 300ft in IL. Noticeable, but not 20% less. Oxygen injector lol... turbo should help it seems like.
It is actually 3% per 1000 feet. At 10,000 feet, the air is only about 70% as dense and you are only feeding 70% of the fuel so you only get 70% of the HP. So our 104 HP Talon at 10,000 feet is the same as a 72 HP P-1000 at sea level.

I can feel a nice difference from 5,000 to 3,000 feet and at 10,000 feet my Talon with 30's is a total dog. IGR will help but the only way to make up for the lack of atmosphere is a turbo!

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I love the "drink um under the table" comment. Aint that the truth! Both my kids were born in Vail. My son runs, in his words, "to get energy". So far, going back to Colorado I'm still good with the elevation. Having flatlanders come visit was one of the best parts about living there. I did a lot of backpacking there. When guys from back home would come out theyd be dying, called me a Billy goat for climbing 14ers with seemingly no effort, compared to them. I was only a mediocre hiker. I tried to tell them there were guys in Colorado that ran 14ers, and were done before we even started up, they didn't believe it, until they saw it lol.

One of the last hikes I did was holy cross, with my brother and one of his friends. We made it a 3 day deal. Packed in and camped at the base, day 2 kill the 14er without a load lol, day 3 hike out. They were literally dying, I thought they wouldn't make it haha. Meanwhile there were guys packing in margarita machines and full bbq grills then trail running the climb.
I'm not a runner or hiker so I have no frame of reference :)

Not a drinker any more but back in the day, we would bet guys from California we could out drink them and we won EVERY time. I cannot believe they almost always fell for it. Made thousands of dollars doing it too!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Montecresto and CID
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, just got done gettin real crazy with it... I'm thinking the locked front diff works better for climbing than the i4wd. I am comparing it between two different machines, but my pioneer could climb better than the talon. Pretty sad, but I'll admit it. Now, the talon climbs basically anything anyone should ever be trying to climb, sober at least, but still not quite as good as my pioneer. So, if they ever made a base model with the manual diff modes, I'm in for sure.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I$WD (notice the $ sign is 4) should be the normal 4wd (actual 3wd) and have a lock function. IFWD is awesome in 90% of places but sucks in hardcore. Way to late to respond when needed. I canceled my preorder because of it. Still is great for most people.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I$WD (notice the $ sign is 4) should be the normal 4wd (actual 3wd) and have a lock function. IFWD is awesome in 90% of places but sucks in hardcore. Way to late to respond when needed. I canceled my preorder because of it. Still is great for most people.
Build a lock setup to go along with the i4wd and I’d bet it sells. It would then be the ultimate system.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
It started while I was a trooper in Colorado. Haven't had too much of an issue. I actually work juvenile and we don't have a big population that belong to the lgbtqi. But the training is still there. Actually thought it would be interesting to help kids change their life and get out of prison, opposed to sending people to prison. I was mistaken. They can't wait to get out and do it all over again. Can't convince them otherwise.
Yeah, I hear ya. It should be called the Department of Confinement, because that's all it is both juvenile and adult divisions. Was pretty common to see offenders on 3rd & 4th incarcerations. If they don't change environments and way of thinking, they keep doing the same things that got them convicted the first time.

W

Wheel-Man

Jun 14, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe I'm just old, 40, but I like my P1000. We just put around and take it easy. My days of going fast (in the woods) are over. It rides great and does anything I want it to do. Add a dump bed, seating for 5, turf mode, diff lockers...the only real complaint is the size of the top. I wish it were and inch or two more narrow and an inch or two shorter. You could still work with it like I do, but it would be so much easier on those tight trails!! I lifted mine 3", added 2" wheel spacers, and run 29's. Great combination!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Maybe I'm just old, 40, but I like my P1000. We just put around and take it easy. My days of going fast (in the woods) are over. It rides great and does anything I want it to do. Add a dump bed, seating for 5, turf mode, diff lockers...the only real complaint is the size of the top. I wish it were and inch or two more narrow and an inch or two shorter. You could still work with it like I do, but it would be so much easier on those tight trails!! I lifted mine 3", added 2" wheel spacers, and run 29's. Great combination!
That’s the nice thing about choices. Something for everyone. They all have their usefulness. 😎

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Scout19

Scout19

May 31, 2020
Princeton
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I wouldn't have to pack up the whole family, I would have definitely got a Talon 2 seater. The 4 seater is just too long, I couldn't go anywhere in my woods with it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I gotta say imo the wide long roof is the best in the tight stuff, you can get up against trees and pivot without getting hung up. It’s an upper skid plate lol. We’re loving the Pioneer ourselves. Glad you’re happy with it and getting out.

Reactions: TimG and TripleB
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
So having owned two pioneer 1000s and now this talon, I have to say that I prefer the 4 position diff modes on the pioneer to the i4wd. I drive a lot of asphalt and the open rear diff is so nice on the tires and has to be better on the drive train. The open rear diff is fine for 80% of the trails I’m on too, and seemed to ride better than the locked diff, plus it helps turn sharper.

So long story short, if they ever release a base model talon with the same diff mode selectors as a non LE pioneer 1000, I’m trading mine in. Other than that I’d still prefer a lower low range and a lower reverse. I’d love to see these changes on the X model at least.

Now after all that, question is: any chance a pioneer 1000 rear diff will bolt up into my talon? I could just use a push pull type cable similar to a choke cable to engage and disengage it? Maybe the i4wd system would remain unaffected? Ideally I’d swap thefront diff too, but I assume there would be all sorts of computers getting confused lol.

Besides the lack of diff modes and wanting a lower low, this thing is hands down better than the pioneer. I can’t believe I waited so long to switch. To me, everything that was wrong or didn’t make since with the pioneer is fixed for this machine. It almost seems like the talon was the grand original plan all along, but they used some of the parts they had designed already and rushed the pioneer out to satisfy a need and maybe retain some anxious diehard Honda fans?
I’ll agree with you - even though I’m in a 2020 Ranger 1000 - I LOVE turf mode (open rear diff) because of how nice it handles and how much easier it is on the drivetrain and tires. Same as you, it’ll do so much in turf mode - really only need locked rear diff or 4x4 for the really bad stuff.

K

kevin1

Oct 26, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't post on here but I do a lot of reading on these topics so me having a off road buggy background what would be wrong with honda putting a true transfer case in these things I mean it would solve a lot of re gearing issues and have a true low range in all gears when wanted
Just my 2 cents

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I gotta say imo the wide long roof is the best in the tight stuff, you can get up against trees and pivot without getting hung up. It’s an upper skid plate lol. We’re loving the Pioneer ourselves. Glad you’re happy with it and getting out.
I agree. I think that the frame on the Pioneer 1000 has protected my body work and trim a lot. Not to criticize the Talon at all, it’s got a little bit of body damage already due to the lack of that level of protection. That said, I like the Talon as it is, wouldn’t want it to be like the Pioneer, and have made the necessary adjustments. The X4’s long, hell I’ve had to make a lot of adjustments already lol....🤣

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree. I think that the frame on the Pioneer 1000 has protected my body work and trim a lot. Not to criticize the Talon at all, it’s got a little bit of body damage already due to the lack of that level of protection. That said, I like the Talon as it is, wouldn’t want it to be like the Pioneer, and have made the necessary adjustments. The X4’s long, hell I’ve had to make a lot of adjustments already lol....🤣
Ya the talon will be going through a weight reduction program every weekend with me driving it. Whatever falls off will stay off. It’ll be a bit of a s*** show up here but I want one anyways

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Ya the talon will be going through a weight reduction program every weekend with me driving it. Whatever falls off will stay off. It’ll be a bit of a s*** show up here but I want one anyways
Lmao... 🤣👍

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!