Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Vikes79: After installing the hard doors, there still was alot of leakage from roof gaps as you suggested. I sealed the gaps in my roof and that made a big improvement. I also installed shifter seals with additional benefits. The last areas I am going to address are air leaks on the ends of the dash where the OEM nets were attached, and possibly leaks under the steering wheel and brake pedal. Thanks for the suggestions.
The steering wheel flap is kinda leaky, if you lean to the middle and look down the underside of the steering shaft you can see the tire....

some rubber sheeting and some plastic rivets in the fender wells may help to close up some of it.

in the winter I usually set the steering wheel and shove some wash cloths above and below the steering shaft.

Youngone

Youngone

Dec 4, 2020
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I run the ice crusher and have soft rear window and doors. I did a few mods to get the cab warmer. I added sound proofing Matt to the roof, pool noodles took up the gap along top of roll bar, soft weather stripping from a house door riveted to the bottom and side of my doors, closed in the shifters with 1/4” felt, sealed up the brake peddle area and around steering column. these all helped keep us warm on minus 26 degree days. I also closed in one end of heater motor because it sucks in snow from the tracks and frosts up the window. The other side of the heater motor pulls air from the cab. My next step is to change out the heater for a dual fan with more air flow. That will be next fall as it’s warming up to minus 15 to 20 so don’t need the extra heat

B

bh1332

Mar 13, 2019
Wyoming
I run the ice crusher and have soft rear window and doors. I did a few mods to get the cab warmer. I added sound proofing Matt to the roof, pool noodles took up the gap along top of roll bar, soft weather stripping from a house door riveted to the bottom and side of my doors, closed in the shifters with 1/4” felt, sealed up the brake peddle area and around steering column. these all helped keep us warm on minus 26 degree days. I also closed in one end of heater motor because it sucks in snow from the tracks and frosts up the window. The other side of the heater motor pulls air from the cab. My next step is to change out the heater for a dual fan with more air flow. That will be next fall as it’s warming up to minus 15 to 20 so don’t need the extra heat
I'd like to see some pictures of your seals on your front doors. I purchased the rear door seals from a guy that made them from garage door seals, but I haven't sealed my front ones yet. Still considering ideas, including the 3M double adhesive tape but I am worried about it not sticking in -20 to -30 temps.

Reactions: Lady01
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd like to see some pictures of your seals on your front doors. I purchased the rear door seals from a guy that made them from garage door seals, but I haven't sealed my front ones yet. Still considering ideas, including the 3M double adhesive tape but I am worried about it not sticking in -20 to -30 temps.
I used truck tailgate seal. 3 years and still works great

Youngone

Youngone

Dec 4, 2020
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will get them tomorrow for you

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey Youngone,
Hoping you could describe the shifter 1/4' felt to cover the shifter gaps (or pics of it installed) thanks in advance

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 4” fan under the seat to blow out all the hot air from the engine compartment. Works great in the hot summer months to keep the cab cooler. So for winter, in added a 4” flex duct and ran it to a vent at my feet. Cost about $15 total. Plenty of heat. But the best thing I did was to throw the worthless upper soft doors in the trash and install the Honda hard doors. Zero cold air coming in and it also reduced all the outside noise to near zero.

Youngone

Youngone

Dec 4, 2020
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here are a few of the door gaps sealed up and shifter. I didn’t do the seal on the inside of the door. It was like that when I bought it. We rode at minus 23 c today and I can drive with no gloves on.

F02C2B21 FAD1 4DF9 B6F4 7148282EB706 17645608 B843 4DB3 B2FA B66FBFB6EDF0 06B5849E C408 4674 A585 951C5B8EDFF3 8820C8C4 EE36 4F9B 84DE AC5F49842C59

Reactions: Lady01 and bh1332
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a 4” fan under the seat to blow out all the hot air from the engine compartment. Works great in the hot summer months to keep the cab cooler. So for winter, in added a 4” flex duct and ran it to a vent at my feet. Cost about $15 total. Plenty of heat. But the best thing I did was to throw the worthless upper soft doors in the trash and install the Honda hard doors. Zero cold air coming in and it also reduced all the outside noise to near zero.
I removed soft doors and installed the hard doors also. Totally agree. The doors seal up great.

Youngone

Youngone

Dec 4, 2020
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I
I removed soft doors and installed the hard doors also. Totally agree. The doors seal up great.
well if the hard doors make that much difference I will be looking into them. Friend of mine said you need a small loan to buy them in Canada.

Reactions: Lady01 and Prntckt
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I

well if the hard doors make that much difference I will be looking into them. Friend of mine said you need a small loan to buy them in Canada.
not sure of the price in Canada, but they weren’t cheap. I think they were worth the investment. After all, its a Honda money pit. :D

Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Generally, I had good results with the heater and gen 1 honda soft doors, soft top, soft mid panel and Honda split windshield. Very comfortable for the 1-2 mile runs to the trailhead with ambient temps at 20F to 30F. Not tee-shirt weather in the cab, but much better than an atv ride before sunrise at 20mph.

We got stuck in a 3ft snow drift on top of a ridge during a blizzard this fall. Snow was level with the top of the hood and headlights were buried. The wind was blowing 20-30mph from the side.

The heater wasn't able to keep up with the air blowing through the cab via all of the gaps. We had snow accumulating in the cab. The nearest tree was 60yds. We broke a rope twice trying to reach and sling a tree to winch out. Luckily, I had bought a synthetic winch rope extension and we eventually got out after an hour of digging and winching.

My point is that we were getting close to needing to walk out. We had just split a cow elk between the 2 of us and packed her out 1.5miles to the sxs. We were wet. Luckily the nearest shelter was only 2 miles downhill. The heater wasn't going to buy us enough time to wait out the blizzard. We contemplated tarping the cab to block the wind, but tarping in 20mph wind seemed unlikely.

I had ordered an Alumalite roof, windshield and full front hard doors last fall. Just now getting everything installed. Kept the honda soft mid panel. Back seat/bed remains mostly open except for roof and corners. I plan to have clear vinyl windows made for the rear sides and back. The Alumalite doors seal significantly better and no gap between mid panel and roof. I would guess air leaks are reduced by 50% and no more split windshield leaking air at 30mph.

My goal is to keep the cab warm enough to survive a storm or an overnight with bellow freezing temps and high winds. I would like to have 6-8hrs to make use of satellite communications and to get help if things go wrong. I believe the cab will be warm enough under cruising conditions for a tee-shirt. I might even need to turn the heater down!

20210221 213112

Papaandhistoys

Papaandhistoys

Aug 11, 2019
Backwoods of northern Michigan
Generally, I had good results with the heater and gen 1 honda soft doors, soft top, soft mid panel and Honda split windshield. Very comfortable for the 1-2 mile runs to the trailhead with ambient temps at 20F to 30F. Not tee-shirt weather in the cab, but much better than an atv ride before sunrise at 20mph.

We got stuck in a 3ft snow drift on top of a ridge during a blizzard this fall. Snow was level with the top of the hood and headlights were buried. The wind was blowing 20-30mph from the side.

The heater wasn't able to keep up with the air blowing through the cab via all of the gaps. We had snow accumulating in the cab. The nearest tree was 60yds. We broke a rope twice trying to reach and sling a tree to winch out. Luckily, I had bought a synthetic winch rope extension and we eventually got out after an hour of digging and winching.

My point is that we were getting close to needing to walk out. We had just split a cow elk between the 2 of us and packed her out 1.5miles to the sxs. We were wet. Luckily the nearest shelter was only 2 miles downhill. The heater wasn't going to buy us enough time to wait out the blizzard. We contemplated tarping the cab to block the wind, but tarping in 20mph wind seemed unlikely.

I had ordered an Alumalite roof, windshield and full front hard doors last fall. Just now getting everything installed. Kept the honda soft mid panel. Back seat/bed remains mostly open except for roof and corners. I plan to have clear vinyl windows made for the rear sides and back. The Alumalite doors seal significantly better and no gap between mid panel and roof. I would guess air leaks are reduced by 50% and no more split windshield leaking air at 30mph.

My goal is to keep the cab warm enough to survive a storm or an overnight with bellow freezing temps and high winds. I would like to have 6-8hrs to make use of satellite communications and to get help if things go wrong. I believe the cab will be warm enough under cruising conditions for a tee-shirt. I might even need to turn the heater down!

View attachment 257727

Hell yes!!!!!! That’s what I’m talking about. If you don’t me asking, what did that setup set you back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
This

View attachment 257727
This is my basic goal as well To have mine set up to be a type of survival shelter. It is hard to explain to someone who dont know How perillas it can feel and be to be stuck at 8000+ feet in sub zero temps in white out conditions. Just being able to keep the wind off can be life and death. I was in a similar situation as you only I hade my wife with me the tree was 200 yards away camp was 8 miles away. I had failed to notice we were running on top of hard crusted snow and broke threw in the middle of a very large drift. Luckily I've been stupid most of my life and carry all kids of self rescue equipment. A few hours a lot of chainsaw work with some MacGyver skills we made it back to camp wet and cold but able to do it again.
I've spent most all winter modifying and plugging holes on my 700 at -20 I can run 35mph and still be snug as a bug

Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is certainly worth noting that sxs can make you comfortable enough to drive further away than you can walk back before you die. I have spent quality time in the cab of a pickup waiting out a storm or waiting for help. I would like the sxs to be able to replace the pickup.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4

View attachment 257727
What are you using for Satcom equipment?

Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Garmin Inreach Mini that is bluetooth paired with my phone. I selected the Mini because it is small enough I can carry it with my bino harness and I am not tempted to leave it out or stuff it in the bottom on my pack. It provides tracking and text communication. Pre-configured texts can be sent with the location info attached for a minimal monthly cost. The phone is not required, however it provides a more convenient user interface if you want to randomly text. I use my phone for GPS and ballistics.

I have used it intermittently for 4-5 days without charging and still had more than 50% battery left. I am confident I can get 7-10 days out of it. Additionally, I believe it will go 3 days with automatic tracking if updates are sent every 30mins. Obviously, the battery isn't an issue if you are in the sxs and have a charger.

I can also send pre-configured texts with location to other inreach users in the field. This is great for coordinating help to pack out a large critter. This can be critical during archery season when you need to get meat out quickly. A have a pre-configured text that says, "bring a pack and a strong back". It is also great for marking a pickup location.

Reactions: Prntckt and Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!