P1000 Ideas for rack replacement

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So got a popping sound comming from the rack when turning I hear a lot of people swap the rack but which one is best and which tie rod ends are best?

Reactions: ChadD
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So got a popping sound comming from the rack when turning I hear a lot of people swap the rack but which one is best and which tie rod ends are best?
I think all reputable brand names make good ones. As far as tie rods go I think oe is best. I would rather break a tie rod on trail than a rack. Black Friday is coming and I bet @SuperATV has some sales.

Also double triple check that your noise is not cv shafts.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might be a good idea to look closely at the upper control arm bushings. My 2016 had a "pop" on the driver side and it seemed like it was from the rack, but upon closer inspectiopn the upper arm was loose and shifting , causing a pop. Took it apart and the upper shaft and bushings were worn out. I made some new bushings out of DELRIN and resurfaced the shaft. Also drilled the upper arms for grease fittings. My pop is gone. If you do replace the rack, You canalso update the tie rods to the 2022 version. Stronger than the 2016-2021 versions.

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might be a good idea to look closely at the upper control arm bushings. My 2016 had a "pop" on the driver side and it seemed like it was from the rack, but upon closer inspectiopn the upper arm was loose and shifting , causing a pop. Took it apart and the upper shaft and bushings were worn out. I made some new bushings out of DELRIN and resurfaced the shaft. Also drilled the upper arms for grease fittings. My pop is gone. If you do replace the rack, You canalso update the tie rods to the 2022 version. Stronger than the 2016-2021 versions.
And the 2022 version will fit just fine? And when it comes to the rack I see on there site there is two different gear options which one should I use ?

Reactions: ChadD
Bigmanlittlebuggy

Bigmanlittlebuggy

Jul 18, 2022
Ellabell GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think all reputable brand names make good ones. As far as tie rods go I think oe is best. I would rather break a tie rod on trail than a rack. Black Friday is coming and I bet @SuperATV has some sales.

Also double triple check that your noise is not cv shafts.
Cv shafts are brand new rhino 2.0 just installed

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is the rack hard to change

Never done one but many buddys have had to Nd waxh one said it wasnt fun. @TripleB
It's not that bad. I had a problem of getting one nut started myself. I couldn't get anything to wedge in there to hold the bolt in place to start the nut.

Screenshot 20221113 073556 Brave

I followed these instructions and it was easy except I didn't listen to the part about a 2 person job. Wasted hours of my life trying to get that last nut before I called someone to help.

Last edited:
advertisement
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've had the same popping sound from the bushings being wore out. He probably doesn't have the superatv arms and I've never heard of someone wearing out the stock a-arm bushings. I've also had a popping sound coming from the fox shock bushings being wore out.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I recall correctly, isn't @Bigmanlittlebuggy up on 35s or something with portals and all? If so, his odds of the steering box being the problem becomes more likely.

But to the rest of the guy's points here, a front end noise can be a lot of things and can mislead you.

Get it up on stands and wiggle everything.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If I recall correctly, isn't @Bigmanlittlebuggy up on 35s or something with portals and all? If so, his odds of the steering box being the problem becomes more likely.

But to the rest of the guy's points here, a front end noise can be a lot of things and can mislead you.

Get it up on stands and wiggle everything.
I was just going by his little pic. I didn't know he
was a portal guy.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!