Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Picked it up Friday and it started right up and never idled crazy. Service guy was surprised. I brought it home and rode it for a bit and never had an idle issue, parked it and let it cool off. Went ahead and changed the spark plugs while I had some free time. Rode it off and on all day yesterday and never had a crazy idle. I guess only time will tell so we'll see.
Mine had a crazy idle issue, I had figured out it would start in gear with the brake on, thats when it started acting crazy, I stopped doing that and it quit??????????

Reactions: BWAF
D

Dasmoeturhead

Mine was doing pretty much the same thing, plug change fixed it, that's why I suggested it in my previous post.
I've been struggling with the rough idle, small backfires, engine not starting on the 1st try, and loading up when idling cold. I've got 1500 miles on mine, and I've been hesitant to replace plugs. I finally did change them on this last service, and I WISH I would have done this a year ago. Big differance.
Hope it lasts. The old plugs looked new. Good color, gap, and electrode looked excellent. Maybe you can't tell a bad plug from a good one just by a visual. Moving on.

outlawhondarider

outlawhondarider

2017 PK3
Lifetime Member
Mar 24, 2018
Dallas Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So off and on over the last few weeks I've dealt with some idle issues. Some days (yesterday) are worse than others but for the most part it happens daily. I can start it and the idle will fluctuate up and down to the point that it will almost shutoff with a strong rich smell. If I put it in gear and attempt to accelerate it will die. This happens over and over until I finally get going then it runs fine for the most part with a little miss here and there. I've checked all wiring, cleaned all connectors and left the battery cables off for a week while on vacation and nothing has changed. Also once it dies I've left the key on for over a min with no codes being flashed.

What do you guys think? Coil, O2, IACV?

I have a 2017 P3 EPS and mine sounds exactly like this, i mean exactly. I bought it new (March 2018) with 17 hours on it and i have had these issues since day one, but now I can barely get it to move when in gear, it sputters and dies. I drained the fuel tank for the 3rd time even replaced fuel pump assy, but no difference. The last time I drove it, after about 1/2 a mile, the muffler heat shield melted off. My question is- did you ever figure out what the problem was ?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2017 P3 EPS and mine sounds exactly like this, i mean exactly. I bought it new (March 2018) with 17 hours on it and i have had these issues since day one, but now I can barely get it to move when in gear, it sputters and dies. I drained the fuel tank for the 3rd time even replaced fuel pump assy, but no difference. The last time I drove it, after about 1/2 a mile, the muffler heat shield melted off. My question is- did you ever figure out what the problem was ?
If your heat shield melted off, you have a definite ignition miss.

Originally I thought his issue was identical to mine with injector wiring.

Are you getting any codes on the dash? Grab your cell, take a video of the dash when it happens, a good 45-60 seconds. Then upload the video to youtube, then come back and start a thread. Feel free to link similar threads you have found with the same issues.

Due to your machine being right around 6 months old, you might want to send it back to the dealer? Although spark plugs and other ignition components are not covered under warranty from what I have read here.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I didnt. The dealer nor Honda could figure it out other than blame it on the big gun exhaust. I got tired of waiting for nothing so went and picked it up. The day I picked it up, it started and ran fine and has since. Well until yesterday! Went to pull it out of the basement and just like my video its doing the same thing again so back to the drawing board.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are the plug wires servicable?
Can you swap just wires front to rear?
Is the front cylinder have good conact between plug and plug wire? Maybe try crimping it a little to maintain better contact?
Are the nipples on the plugs tight to the porcelain?

Have you swapped physical injectors front to rear to rule them out?
Have you tried a fuel treatment like injector cleaner etc?
I'll read the service manual later and see if it can pin point rough idle a bit better.

Edit:
I am not sure if the "CKP sensor" is serviceable externally. Maybe pull that connection and clean it out, apply a bit of dielectric.

Last edited:
zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are the plug wires servicable?
Can you swap just wires front to rear?
Is the front cylinder have good conact between plug and plug wire? Maybe try crimping it a little to maintain better contact?
Are the nipples on the plugs tight to the porcelain?

Have you swapped physical injectors front to rear to rule them out?
Have you tried a fuel treatment like injector cleaner etc?
I'll read the service manual later and see if it can pin point rough idle a bit better.

Edit:
I am not sure if the "CKP sensor" is serviceable externally. Maybe pull that connection and clean it out, apply a bit of dielectric.

Wires are different lengths and made to the coil so you cant remove them
Contact is good. Its a new coil/wire
Plug tips are good and tight
I have swapped the injectors front to rear and same issue. It appears only on the front cylinder when it goes into fits.

I havent checked the CKP sensor but I will when I swap the plugs yet again. It stops firing on the front cylinder for some reason and you can tell not by the obvious erratic idle but you can also smell gas so I know the injector is still working. Once it starts firing again the gas smell will go away.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wires are different lengths and made to the coil so you cant remove them
Contact is good. Its a new coil/wire
Plug tips are good and tight
I have swapped the injectors front to rear and same issue. It appears only on the front cylinder when it goes into fits.

I havent checked the CKP sensor but I will when I swap the plugs yet again. It stops firing on the front cylinder for some reason and you can tell not by the obvious erratic idle but you can also smell gas so I know the injector is still working. Once it starts firing again the gas smell will go away.
I'll keep digging, sorry if we suggest the same things.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@zmnypit
Are you still running big gun exhaust or did you swap back to factory?
Do you have another P1k local to you? Someone to swap parts with?
I wonder if you might have debris in the throttle body idle circuit and/or throttle position issues.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@zmnypit
Are you still running big gun exhaust or did you swap back to factory?
Do you have another P1k local to you? Someone to swap parts with?
I wonder if you might have debris in the throttle body idle circuit and/or throttle position issues.
I am. I have my factory exhaust I can put back on. I cleaned the IAC and TPS last go around and made no difference. The dealer even tried an IAC, PCM and O2 sensor from another pioneer and it made no difference.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
does it have a spark arrestor in the pipe? SVT did this one day and we had to remove a piece of the muffler.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Put factory back on only way to trouble shoot the pipe. If that’s it’s send me the pipe I’ll RnD it for yah ;)

Reactions: Smitty335 and BWAF
zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Put factory back on only way to trouble shoot the pipe. If that’s it’s send me the pipe I’ll RnD it for yah ;)
lol I'll keep that in mind. I'll swap it out Sunday before swapping the plugs and see what happens. I keep waiting on eBay to post another 20% off coupon so I can just buy the big gun power box. According to big gun I have to have it.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Spark plugs just replaced and still does it as soon as I start it. Factory exhaust re installed and it still does it. I guess back to the dealership it goes

Last edited:
Reactions: drowheels and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spark plugs just replaced and still does it as soon as I start it. Factory exhaust re instsllinand it still does it. I guess back to the dealership it goes

Disconnect the battery?

I’ll check the service manual and see if there’s a way to reset the computer. Can’t get to my iCloud from work phone anymore.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Edit:

Does the manual say how diagnose the CKP? Like it does for the injectors?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what i have found so far.
8A39689A D9D7 4559 AF17 7ED97A1A9CD5
780C0C55 9C89 4343 85C3 291DDC382C45

Edit,
Has anyone been into your valves?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what i have found so far.
View attachment 87318 View attachment 87319

Edit,
Has anyone been into your valves?
There is something to this, I just havent put my finger on it yet. There is a recall issued for an exhaust heat shield to protect the machine from catching fire when it drops a cylinder like your machine. So if there are enough fires on these machines to warrant a safety recall, something has got to be causing the cyl dropping. I am not privy to that information, that is just my opinion.

Reactions: Landman and BWAF
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!