BOX1

P1000 Idle issues (video inside)

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is something to this, I just havent put my finger on it yet. There is a recall issued for an exhaust heat shield to protect the machine from catching fire when it drops a cylinder like your machine. So if there are enough fires on these machines to warrant a safety recall, something has got to be causing the cyl dropping. I am not privy to that information, that is just my opinion.
Thats what I told the service manger in June when it did this. He agreed but Honda has been tight lipped about it. When it goes into its fits you can smell straight gas because the cylinder isnt firing, then it starts firing and it smells fine this continues on until it dies then it takes forever to restart. The user above said his heat shield melted with the same issue so I know your correct. No one will admit it tho or they dont have a fix.

Reactions: BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Found another ckp test buried deep in the eps section of my manual.

I really wish I knew the secret, or could point you in the right location.
Someone out there has fixed this. But whether the service dept was told to hide the real reason on the invoice we will never know. Too many of these has had this happen. Maybe get on the phone yourself? Start with whoever holds the title for your machine. They might have some pull if they technically own a 2000lb paperweight.

A1642FE0 7EFC 4CD4 A429 4B16FCD6553C

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ran downstairs to try and check things out. Of course it's not acting crazy at the moment so all the above tests were within spec.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ran downstairs to try and check things out. Of course it's not acting crazy at the moment so all the above tests were within spec.
Are you game to grab a water bottle and start spraying stuff down to see if you get changes?

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are you game to grab a water bottle and start spraying stuff down to see if you get changes?
Funny you mention that. I just called Honda technical support and asked what their reason was for the dropping a cylinder/melting heatshield recall. The guy told me it's from water ingestion and electronics being submerged. He said under certain condition when water is introduced you could produce a misfire which would drop a cylinder temporarily. Now that I think about it both times I've had this happen, once the drivers side seat was submerged but ran finef gave it a good washing next day then left it. This most recent experience I pressure washed it for a couple hrs then let it dry off before pulling in the basement and leaving it for a week. So sure, I'll spray it down.

Reactions: BWAF and Smitty335
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Funny you mention that. I just called Honda technical support and asked what their reason was for the dropping a cylinder/melting heatshield recall. The guy told me it's from water ingestion and electronics being submerged. He said under certain condition when water is introduced you could produce a misfire which would drop a cylinder temporarily. Now that I think about it both times I've had this happen, once the drivers side seat was submerged but ran finef gave it a good washing next day then left it. This most recent experience I pressure washed it for a couple hrs then let it dry off before pulling in the basement and leaving it for a week. So sure, I'll spray it down.
Sounds like something under your seat doesnt like being wet. If you can narrow it down, and easily replicate it. I would show your dealer and have them warranty the part. Depending on replacement cost of course. But you have already paid a chunk of change to try and fix this.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like something under your seat doesnt like being wet. If you can narrow it down, and easily replicate it. I would show your dealer and have them warranty the part. Depending on replacement cost of course. But you have already paid a chunk of change to try and fix this.
I'll spray things down later on or tomorrow. I never wash it without the seat tho. Luckily all I've bought is spark plugs and a coil

Last edited:
outlawhondarider

outlawhondarider

2017 PK3
Lifetime Member
Mar 24, 2018
Dallas Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If your heat shield melted off, you have a definite ignition miss.

Originally I thought his issue was identical to mine with injector wiring.

Are you getting any codes on the dash? Grab your cell, take a video of the dash when it happens, a good 45-60 seconds. Then upload the video to youtube, then come back and start a thread. Feel free to link similar threads you have found with the same issues.

Due to your machine being right around 6 months old, you might want to send it back to the dealer? Although spark plugs and other ignition components are not covered under warranty from what I have read here.

Thanks for the response and the rig never displayed any codes. But I do have great news- I ordered 2 new plugs from Summit Racing for $10.00 each/ NGK-93675 Mfr. #: SILMAR7A9S and it is now running perfect. Prior to the plug change I changed the air filter, checked the silencer on exhaust, checked wires and coil connections and replaced the fuel pump/filter assy. I should have done that first, I just never expected the plugs to go so quick. I have washed the rig 3 or 4 times, so maybe the water cracked the porcelain insulators ????

Check your plugs ********************************************

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok I lied. Went to mess with it today to see if anything has been getting wet and it's still doing it without me touching it since 9/18. Doesn't make any sense how it randomly chooses when it wants to idle crazy or idle correctly.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Figured I'd post a little update as I think I finally figured out what my problem was. So I noticed above the problems seem to start after I pressure wash which is generally a day after we ride. So we rode last sat and it ran great. Pressure washed it on Sunday, blew it off with the leaf blower then pulled it in the basement leaving it until Thursday. I went downstairs to move it out and it did the same idle, die, idle, die spit sputtering then eventually it wouldn't start at all so I left it. Plugs looked good, no wet connections, had spark etc but wouldn't run.

I ended up siphoning the remaining gas out and it was about 60/40 fuel and water. Put 5gal of 93 and some Heet iso and after a few seconds of turning over it fired right up with no spitting & sputtering. Pulled the vent line off and it was full of water as well as the frame. Bought some new hose and extended the tank vent line so hopefully this fixes it for good.

Makes me wonder if the dealership lied about testing the fuel because the symptoms were the exact same Thursday as it was when I dropped it off a few months ago.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Figured I'd post a little update as I think I finally figured out what my problem was. So I noticed above the problems seem to start after I pressure wash which is generally a day after we ride. So we rode last sat and it ran great. Pressure washed it on Sunday, blew it off with the leaf blower then pulled it in the basement leaving it until Thursday. I went downstairs to move it out and it did the same idle, die, idle, die spit sputtering then eventually it wouldn't start at all so I left it. Plugs looked good, no wet connections, had spark etc but wouldn't run.

I ended up siphoning the remaining gas out and it was about 60/40 fuel and water. Put 5gal of 93 and some Heet iso and after a few seconds of turning over it fired right up with no spitting & sputtering. Pulled the vent line off and it was full of water as well as the frame. Bought some new hose and extended the tank vent line so hopefully this fixes it for good.

Makes me wonder if the dealership lied about testing the fuel because the symptoms were the exact same Thursday as it was when I dropped it off a few months ago.
I hope this works out for you! Hard to wrap our mind around only the front cylinder mis-firing from water.

J

JRen1201

Sep 15, 2020
Tampa, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2017 P3 EPS and mine sounds exactly like this, i mean exactly. I bought it new (March 2018) with 17 hours on it and i have had these issues since day one, but now I can barely get it to move when in gear, it sputters and dies. I drained the fuel tank for the 3rd time even replaced fuel pump assy, but no difference. The last time I drove it, after about 1/2 a mile, the muffler heat shield melted off. My question is- did you ever figure out what the problem was ?
I purchased one used and having these issues after it has run for awhile. After calling Big Gun Exhaust they indicated that this may be a result of adding the exhaust without doing a tune (PowerBox or another brand). Let me know if you ever resolved your issue.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I purchased one used and having these issues after it has run for awhile. After calling Big Gun Exhaust they indicated that this may be a result of adding the exhaust without doing a tune (PowerBox or another brand). Let me know if you ever resolved your issue.
I noticed no difference with or without the big gun power box. The only difference from what I can tell is the engine runs cooler as its not running as lean as factory. Its noticeable in the cab while riding compared to before.

derekpioneer1000

derekpioneer1000

May 16, 2019
Centex
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So thanks to this thread my pioneer is running better, it’s a 2017 1000 eps. I Got the old gas out, put half a tank of new gas (premium), a can of sea foam. And I extended the fuel tank breather tube behind the middle seat. It’s doin a lot better but still dropping down when idling, not as much but still doing it. I guess when I change the spark plugs it should fix the rest of the problem.

Reactions: ODAMO and TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!