P1000 Idle issues (video inside)

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So off and on over the last few weeks I've dealt with some idle issues. Some days (yesterday) are worse than others but for the most part it happens daily. I can start it and the idle will fluctuate up and down to the point that it will almost shutoff with a strong rich smell. If I put it in gear and attempt to accelerate it will die. This happens over and over until I finally get going then it runs fine for the most part with a little miss here and there. I've checked all wiring, cleaned all connectors and left the battery cables off for a week while on vacation and nothing has changed. Also once it dies I've left the key on for over a min with no codes being flashed.

What do you guys think? Coil, O2, IACV?

Reactions: Neohio and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pull your seat bottom and back. lift box, remove engine cover.
When it idles, start moving some of your wiring, either injector harness, coil harness etc. Injector should throw a code though.
Either an overcrimped wire, that under vibration, fails, but then fixes itself, Could also be some chewed wiring, but if you pull the entire seat, and the rear engine cover, it leaves you lots of room to work and mess around. Chewed wiring will be obvious, bad wiring will be harder to find.
I was running mine for over an hour on the trails with my local group before it started failing on me. I did have a code, and found an over crimped pin on one of my injectors.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When it idles, start moving some of your wiring, either injector harness, coil harness etc. Injector should throw a code though.
Either an overcrimped wire, that under vibration, fails, but then fixes itself, Could also be some chewed wiring, but if you pull the entire seat, and the rear engine cover, it leaves you lots of room to work and mess around. Chewed wiring will be obvious, bad wiring will be harder to find.
I was running mine for over an hour on the trails with my local group before it started failing on me. I did have a code, and found an over crimped pin on one of my injectors.
Mine also did something weird, trail riding, stop to take a break or wait on something, turn it off, when restarting would idle at a high RPM and some times engine light would come on? No codes. Now it back to normal?

Reactions: Ohio4x4 and BWAF
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Rough idle intermittent issue was the IACV connector issue on mine. I did have a code. Moving the connector helped me find it. My Buddy had an issue where it would not idle and no codes. the actual IACV was bad for him.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pulled the seats, heat shields, air box etc. Started it and of course its idling like the video above. Start moving wires on injectors, IACV, TPS with no change. With it idling rough I can unplug the front injector with no change, unplug the rear injector and it dies. Same result with the coils so its something with the front cylinder. After 5min or so of rough idle it started idling fine so I unplugged the front injector, CE light comes one and engine idles just like its doing in the video, Plug it back up and idle goes back to normal. After reading the other thread where a member had the almost exact problem I ordered a coil. Swapped it out on the front cylinder and its doing the same thing so Im thinking its front injector related. Like its spraying, then not, spraying then not. Then out of the blue starts working fine.

I hate to keep throwing parts at something I just bought in October but both dealers somewhat close by are 4-6 weeks behind so I'd rather figure it out myself.

Reactions: BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have access to a service manual?
I started a thread on my issue, I think I have a few screen shots of testing the values on the injector wiring.
Hook up a DVOM and wiggle. My broken wire was inside the connector.
I will find the thread and tag you in it.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you have access to a service manual?
I started a thread on my issue, I think I have a few screen shots of testing the values on the injector wiring.
Hook up a DVOM and wiggle. My broken wire was inside the connector.
I will find the thread and tag you in it.
I dont. I did print the two pages from your thread and will test in a bit. I also plan on swapping the injectors around and see

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just went through all 5 steps and all passed. No loose/broken wires found etc. Sounding like a bad PCM. When I removed the grey plug one side of it had dirt/sand in the connector and PCM.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just went through all 5 steps and all passed. No loose/broken wires found etc. Sounding like a bad PCM. When I removed the grey plug one side of it had dirt/sand in the connector and PCM.
And..... did that fix it?

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Same issues still happening. I guess I'll drop it off at the dealer tomorrow as much as I hate to.

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could try swapping the spark plugs also and see if it moves to the other cylinder. My wifes car was intermittently throwing a missfire code from a bad plug

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You could try swapping the spark plugs also and see if it moves to the other cylinder. My wifes car was intermittently throwing a missfire code from a bad plug

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I swapped them when putting it all back together. Even put a new coil on the front cylinder.

Reactions: aprils_fool
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Put new plugs in it.

zmnypit

zmnypit

Oct 20, 2017
alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Put new plugs in it.
I didn't as they have less than 250mi on them. I did swap them around and problem was still front cylinder. Dropped it off at the dealer this morning since it's still under warranty. He said after listening to it the pcm may be bad. They should know something by tues

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same problem. Start up and has random misfire and appears to be the front cylinder also. Have only 60 miles on it , so I do not ride it often. I try to at least start it once a week and it doesn’t do this every time. I can go back 5 or 6 hours later and start it and it runs fine again. Talked to dealer and they say not a common problem.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same problem. Start up and has random misfire and appears to be the front cylinder also. Have only 60 miles on it , so I do not ride it often. I try to at least start it once a week and it doesn’t do this every time. I can go back 5 or 6 hours later and start it and it runs fine again. Talked to dealer and they say not a common problem.

I think there have been some that have had wires chewed on by varmits n vermin after being stored long periods.

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the heat shield recall is due to a cylinder miss loading the exhaust with fuel and burning in the muffler, sounds like ther is another issue.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the heat shield recall is due to a cylinder miss loading the exhaust with fuel and burning in the muffler, sounds like ther is another issue.

That’s only IF it drops a cylinder.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!