William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What do y’all think this noise is? It goes away with a tad of throttle. Sounds kind of like a cam chain... Doesn’t sound like valves to me. Normal?

Reactions: Isaiah
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
What do y’all think this noise is? It goes away with a tad of throttle. Sounds kind of like a cam chain... Doesn’t sound like valves to me. Normal?
Almost sounds like something hitting the heat shield.

H

HondaTech

Its hard to tell, but I've heard some noise before in 1000s that I've attributed to the ball inside the valve cover for the crankcase breather.

This sounds louder, without hearing it in person, id truck it back to the dealer and see what they say.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its hard to tell, but I've heard some noise before in 1000s that I've attributed to the ball inside the valve cover for the crankcase breather.

This sounds louder, without hearing it in person, id truck it back to the dealer and see what they say.
With the bed down, It’s not that loud. I’m going to do the first service then I may take it back if I don’t hear an improvement.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@JTW Is this what yours sounded like.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Take it back to the dealer sounds like something' Loose internal. It could be ex ternal though Because I'm just listening to a video

Last edited:
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just sent my dealer the video. He said it is normal. Just valve noise... Gonna stop by another dealer and let them listen.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well the other dealer wants to check it out... I’m just going to let them do the first service and check out the noise... Also check valves. Dropping it off Saturday morning...

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It has now started doing it constantly...

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The noise has evolved... I think something is coming apart...

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The noise has evolved... I think something is coming apart...

The sound don't come across very well, but it sounds like my Pioneer when the cam chain tensioner failed.
The noise started by coming and going rev it up and it would go away, it didn't do that long until it got noisier and wouldn't go away.
Now the good news is it's cheap and easy to fix or check.
Take the plastic cover off under the bed that you would to access the oil fill plug. Two bolts hold the tensioner in a new one is like $60.00 if it ok reinstall it.
If it is good it will extend all the way out and you will need to take a bolt/cap off and using a small screw driver to wind it back in to reinstall, if is bad you can push in and it will stay.

Last edited:
Reactions: William and MMW
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The sound don't come across very well, but it sounds like my Pioneer when the cam chain tensioner failed.
The noise started by coming and going rev it up and it would go away, it didn't do that long until it got noisier and wouldn't go away.
Now the good news is it's cheap and easy to fix or check.
Take the plastic cover off under the bed that you would to access the oil fill plug. Two bolts hold the tensioner in a new one is like $60.00 if it ok reinstall it.
If it is good it will extend all the way out and you will need to take a bolt/cap off and using a small screw driver to wind it back in to reinstall, if is bad you can push in and it will stay.
That’s the kind of answer I was waiting on.. It’s either that or valves. I drop it off in the morning. Hopefully it’s fixed by the takeover.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
It is not your valves if it gets quieter when you rev it up they just getting louder right away.
Half an hour should easily change the tensioner

Last edited:
Reactions: William
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Similar.. only mine doesn’t do it at idle. There’s a rpm range where mine rattles

There is a little check ball in the breather under the valve cover you may be able to hear rattle if the engines was vibrating just right in a given condition?

Reactions: William and JTW
J

JTW

There is a little check ball in the breather under the valve cover you may be able to hear rattle if the engines was vibrating just right in a given condition?
So my final conclusion was that or the rubber motor vibration dampeners allowing some contact somewhere. I could grab the motor when I had the skid off and front up in the air building the new skid plates and could hear something contacting. I tightened the bolts through the mounts and it seemed to help. But it came back.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!