Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
And...the 500 has properly matched gearing to power. The 700-4 is notorious for simply running out of steam when the going gets tough. Videos abound of the 700-4 grunting to a stop going up steep hills because 1st gear is not low enough and the motor isn’t strong enough to pull first gear, or even spin the tires. P500 - this is not the case - if you’ve got traction you’re going up.
Actually it’s motor is plenty strong, it’s the lack off a low range that is the problem.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
And...the 500 has properly matched gearing to power. The 700-4 is notorious for simply running out of steam when the going gets tough. Videos abound of the 700-4 grunting to a stop going up steep hills because 1st gear is not low enough and the motor isn’t strong enough to pull first gear, or even spin the tires. P500 - this is not the case - if you’ve got traction you’re going up.
At least a couple of of those videos are mine, and certainly, the 700 would be a much different animal with 500-like gearing. But like I said earlier, even with poor gearing, the 700 does certain things that the 500 will not, so pick your poison.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't want to argue but either don't let it change gears or shift into Manuel mode and it won't back down . You can't believe everything you see in videos . I've had both the 500 is tough but so is the 700. But I will stop because this could go forever like political debate.

Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
I prefer the 500 for my needs due to its size and ability to build it to what you want my father-in-law has a p1k5 I drive time to time and I enjoy it as well but it’s a lot larger and harder to move around in the woods compared to the 500 but it’s all in personal preference.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Actually it’s motor is plenty strong, it’s the lack off a low range that is the problem.
I agree, and I think we’re all seeing the same thing. I would be excited to own a 700 for many reasons - more suspension travel, diff lock, power steering, more seatbelts, etc - IF Honda would gear it properly, be that through more speeds (lower first gear, same top speed) or a low range.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Drive one it will ride better than you think . I like the long first gear it gives it better drivability. It will run a tad bit faster than a 500. Go take a deluxe for a spin then report back , I would like your take on it after you have actually driven one . It will shift butter smooth in auto or Manuel. Plus P/ S is a great feature. But from experience the 500 is a bad dude.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Drive one it will ride better than you think . I like the long first gear it gives it better drivability. It will run a tad bit faster than a 500. Go take a deluxe for a spin then report back , I would like your take on it after you have actually driven one . It will shift butter smooth in auto or Manuel. Prius P/ S is a great feature. But from experience the 500 is a bad dude.
I should!

Reactions: Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!