P500 Ignition Gremlins

O

oakescharles

Dec 19, 2013
Seems like I am plagued with weird electrical issues. 2016 P500

For the last year I have had an ignition issue and need some help figuring it out. If I let the machine sit up for a week or more and attempt to turn the key on, the lights on the display with come on then go off, on then off for several minutes. It will turn over however will not crank. I can try to cycle the key again usually with the same result. Usually I have to cycle the key on and off upwards of 20 times before the light will stay on and it will crank. Sometimes I can put it on the charger and it will crank. Once it stays on and starts, the problem will not show back up for several idle days.

Also sometimes the lights will stay on with the key in the off position, to which I have to disconnect the negative lead.

Diagnosis up to this point..

Cleaned every ground
Replaced the battery
Checked for parasitic draw, 0 amp draw with key off.
Changed the computer (different issue)
Changed the rectifier (different issue)

I am leaning towards ignition switch, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How many miles?

@HondaTech might have something for u to check and qustions

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Check the relays in the fuse panel/battery box. There's 4, all the same. One is your main relay, powers up the ecm & dash, another is for the fuel pump....I don't remember what the others are off the top of my head. Pull them out & check for corrosion, maybe swap them around and see if the problem moves to a different circuit.

O

oakescharles

Dec 19, 2013
Looks like you've got a relay sticking

Do you have a P5 shop manual?
The site has a download if you become a supporting member.
took them all out and some had a little corrosion. Clean them up and swapped them around. Hopefully this resolves the issue. :) Thanks for the insights!

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
took them all out and some had a little corrosion. Clean them up and swapped them around. Hopefully this resolves the issue. :) Thanks for the insights!
Let us know. If it does "fix" the issue.....really it's just gonna move... I'd suggest new relays, one of them probably has moisture in it

O

oakescharles

Dec 19, 2013
Good suggestion on swapping fuses to see if problem moves. Id be interested in seeing if that was the issue.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Started up perfectly this morning... I will continue to start it everyday to see if the problem returns. Cautiously optimistic

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!