P500 Ignition Wire Help??

scottwil01

scottwil01

Nov 28, 2014
I am in final two wire hook up of my winch on my Pioneer 500. I need to hook two red wires; 1st Rocker switch wire, 2nd Winch Remote outlet wire, both red wires. Per instructions these are to be wired to Ignition Switch wire.

I have 5 wires coming off my keyed ignition switch that go to a plug connector. I want to tap into the hot wire to tap the two red wires above into. Which of the 5 wires is the correct wire to tap?

1. Yellow / Orange Stripe
2. Solid Red
3. Red / Black Stripe
4. Red / White Stripe
5. Solid Black

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey Scott,
I would not recommend tapping into the IGN wires.
There are several other wire that want leave you stranded if they short out. The 12v accessory plug wire is popular.
BUT...
I would recommend you tap into the DLC plug. Or buy the Accessory Sub-Harness and tap off that.
The DLC plug is the red plug taped to the main wire harness line just under the hood to the lift. Get a test light out and you will find "KEY ON" power there.

Attachments

• Honda_Pioneer_500-13.png
    Honda_Pioneer_500-13.png
    291.7 KB · Views: 4,249
scottwil01

scottwil01

Nov 28, 2014
Thanks, Used the accessory harness it was the white with black strip so much better than tapping into ignition which I was hesitant,

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Is there anything that shows what the Honda Accessory Wiring Harness consists of or looks like? I can't seem to find a picture of it (all I can find is a photo of the bar code label) nor is there any installation instructions for it.

Reactions: Itsalljake
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Check out this post viewtopic.php?t=1605
You will see it in the instructions for that and also the sub harness I talked about above.
What about for a hot wire during cranking only, wouldn't one have to tap the ignition harness direct for that?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What about for a hot wire during cranking only, wouldn't one have to tap the ignition harness direct for that?
Ya. Or off the input wire to the starter solenoid.

What purpose would you have for this anyways? Mind is blank trying to think of something.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ya. Or off the input wire to the starter solenoid.

What purpose would you have for this anyways? Mind is blank trying to think of something.
The dual battery installation requires this for the isolater to pull from just the P-500's main battery during starting. How difficult is it to access the input on the solenoid? Seems a safer bet than cutting into the ignition harness?!!!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That does not sound right. You should not have to tap the starting wire. If you do it will just loose power once you let off the key.

I haven't done a dual battery. So might better find out from someone who has.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Montecresto
Hummm.. are you looking for a wire that is only hot when the engine is running? And not necessarily just when the key is on?

Not sure there is one.

What isolator do you have? You might should switch to one of the automatic sensing isolators.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That does not sound right. You should not have to tap the starting wire. If you do it will just loose power once you let off the key.

I haven't done a dual battery. So might better find out from someone who has.
Thanks, I am indeed talking with JCart about this, he has successfully installed a dual battery, and he posted a wiring diagram in the "dual battery" thread which indicates the Y/R wire from the ignition switch is hot only when cranking. You must run a 16 gauge fused (3 amp) wire from a spade on the back of the m-ARC (battery isolater) to the Y/R wire on the ignition switch. I'm just a bit intimidated by that, and that harness isn't real easy to access and get it out to where you could work on it, though JCart has done it and done a fine job as far as I can see. And his system works! If you're interested you can check out the "dual battery" thread for his commentary and pictures. And thank you again.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@Montecresto
Hummm.. are you looking for a wire that is only hot when the engine is running? And not necessarily just when the key is on?

Not sure there is one.

What isolator do you have? You might should switch to one of the automatic sensing isolators.
To the bolded, NO, a wire that is only hot when cranking so that the house battery is isolated from the start battery when you're starting the P-500!

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Kool.
Ok. Think I understand.
That way the isolator is closed when cranking. That would give you cranking power from both. Right?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Kool.
Ok. Think I understand.
That way the isolator is closed when cranking. That would give you cranking power from both. Right?
Well, I think the point is to isolate the start battery from the house battery. So I could be wrong but I think that the isolater disingages the house battery from the cranking process. I'm still concerned about taping the ignition switch wire!!!!!!

D

Deleted member 3748

Well, I think the point is to isolate the start battery from the house battery. So I could be wrong but I think that the isolater disingages the house battery from the cranking process. I'm still concerned about taping the ignition switch wire!!!!!!

You wouldn't have to tap into the wire, you can solder a ring terminal onto the end of the wire and put it on the stud coming out of the starter solenoid.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You wouldn't have to tap into the wire, you can solder a ring terminal onto the end of the wire and put it on the stud coming out of the starter solenoid.
Now that's an idea I could live with. What's the method of determining the proper stud on the starter solenoid? I haven't accessed that part of the P-500, is it done by pulling down the skid plate?

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

Now that's an idea I could live with. What's the method of determining the proper stud on the starter solenoid? I haven't accessed that part of the P-500, is it done by pulling down the skid plate?

One is going to come directly from the battery which will always be hot. You want the other one. The method should be to always test it with a test light though. ;) Find the solenoid by following the red cable from the battery. Then test (use) the other post.

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!