Important oil change tips

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
My mechanic told me to watch for this washer when I change my oil. He said it sticks to the filter and people throw it away with the old filter. Sure enough it was stuck to mine. He also said it will cause shift problems if not reinstalled. Just thought I'd share.
Jesytuzu
U7emuzaz
A8e3any6
U6yrege7

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Did he tell you the symptoms of the shift problems. Not that mine is shifting weird and I sure hope I didn't throw mine away on my first oil change but just would like to know what shift problems would show.

W

waterboy1

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
That was a great tip changed my oil and sure enough the washer was stuck to the filter Thanks

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Great now I'm starting to think my washer is gone. I can't remember I changed it quite a while ago. But my pioneer is shifting fine. So maybe not.

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
He said the spring will work its way through the rubber on the filter and it causes a loss in pressure which results in shift problems if the washer wasn't replaced. He didn't specify what kind of shift problems just that they get brought in occasionally and that ends up being the problem.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Never tried, But it would seem you could check it without loosing any oil.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Took my oil filter out today. Sure enough washer was gone. But the spring did not seem to digging into the rubber part of the filter at all. I went to Home Depot and the only thing I could find for now was a 3/4 inch fiber washer. I had to make the hole a bit bigger with a file but I was able to get it on fine and don't see why it won't work. I never did notice any shift problems but now I can compare I guess.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
O and I barely lost any oil when I checked not even enough I had to add any.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
wyo700 said:
O and I barely lost any oil when I checked not even enough I had to add any.
Good. Now everyone who wants can check there filter and want have to worry about loosing oil.

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
I did my first service this weekend. Thanks for the great tips guys. I raised the front end of my machine when I drained the old oil as I wanted to remove as much of the old oil as possible before adding mobile 1 4T 10w40 full synthetic motorcycle oil. The most time consuming part of the whole project was adding the new oil. Oh and it seems to shift much smoother with the synthetic oil.

T

tiogajoe

Aug 21, 2013
Anyone got the part number? I don't remember if I lost it or not? Better check and have a spare ready?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
tiogajoe said:
Anyone got the part number? I don't remember if I lost it or not? Better check and have a spare ready?
Heres the part # for the washer - 15414-300-000

Reactions: BVerhulst
wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
Went to my local dealer today and to my surprise they had one so I'm good and back to normal now.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did my first service this weekend. Thanks for the great tips guys. I raised the front end of my machine when I drained the old oil as I wanted to remove as much of the old oil as possible before adding mobile 1 4T 10w40 full synthetic motorcycle oil. The most time consuming part of the whole project was adding the new oil. Oh and it seems to shift much smoother with the synthetic oil.
My 2018 P3 shifted terrible when I first started driving it. I even took it back to the dealer once due to the problem, and they said it shifted normally. It had a significant clang with automatic engaged. I was very worried, but after putting some miles on it (maybe 100) the shifting smoothed out like I thought it should be. That's not to say the synthetic oil wouldn't improve it even more, but the new machines seem to need a break-in period. I may try the synthetic next time, and I'll be so pleased if it even makes it smoother than it is now. I just had my first oil change preformed by the dealer ($$$). I think they made a minor valve adjustment as part of the initial service. BTW, when shifting with the paddles it is very smooth, and I sure like the paddle option.

I find this forum very helpful, and you guys should be complimented for all the great input.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!