Inboard Drive Shaft Boot Leaking Grease On Rear Driver Side

AJMX824

AJMX824

Mar 26, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2020 Talon R, and around 120 miles I noticed some grease coming out of the inboard drive shaft boot on the rear driver's side. It's only coming out next to where the clasp is for the boot band, but it's enough that it's slinging some grease on the frame and engine. I took it to my local Honda dealer (04/16) and the guys were very nice and came outside to the parking lot to take a look at it. They looked at it and since nothing was wrong with the boot itself (nothing torn or cut), and just a little bit of grease around the edge, they said that amount may have been some excess grease that was next to the band since it is packed with a ton of grease around 170 grams or so. They said to clean off the grease and run it again to see if more comes out. They said if more comes out that they would probably only replace the band and it'll be OK. So this weekend I added another 70 miles on the Talon and you can see the photos from 04/19 that it's still doing it. It's not a lot, but wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if that amount looks like it's only from excess grease that's not on the other side of the band.

4 16 2020 14 19 2020 14 19 2020 2

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I had it on both sides on my 2019 Talon. You can carefully tap the boot clamp down slightly to fix the leak. The tool can distort the clamp and lift it up enough to allow the grease to leak. After you run it awhile the grease will liquify and leak.

D

dankathyc

Feb 6, 2019
hurricane ut
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I had the same problem on both sides (mines a 2019). I was a long way from a dealer, so I put worm gear clamps over top of the factory clamps to finish the month long ride with intentions of dealing with it when I got home. They're still there and working well. I believe my mine leaked a lot more grease than yours looks like.

C

Carl7777

Oct 14, 2022
Reno
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I had the same problem on both sides (mines a 2019). I was a long way from a dealer, so I put worm gear clamps over top of the factory clamps to finish the month long ride with intentions of dealing with it when I got home. They're still there and working well. I believe my mine leaked a lot more grease than yours looks like.
Did you find a fix for it? My 2021 is doing same thing

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
replace clamp - search band clamp tool\etc...IMG 6395

Reactions: CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you find a fix for it? My 2021 is doing same thing
Ran it a lot of miles that way, this was my first talon and i no longer own it so this memory is gone. If i had to guess, i would say it had around 3000 miles when i did the worm gear clamps, it was right at 16,000 when i sold it, still working well. I see no problem with the ace hardware clamps, i believe honda uses what they do only for ease of manufacturing and consistency

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Oetiker clamps that come from the factory are the best clamps, hands down. Those universal banding tools and straps are horrible in comparison.

As Hondabob said, they might need a gentle tap right there at the joint. If not installed completely, they can have a small lift fron the boot there.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!