P1000 Increasing wheel travel?

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any way to increase wheel travel? Just getting started looking into suspension mods, see lifts etc, but do they increase wheel travel?

Reactions: Isaiah
hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any way to increase wheel travel? Just getting started looking into suspension mods, see lifts etc, but do they increase wheel travel?
I think 814 shocks might let your wheels travel a little more depending on how they are adjusted. Other than that you may have to look into the Talon when it comes out.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There is a full suspension kit I saw, believe it had longer arms and axles. @JACKAL posted it

Reactions: hardlyworkin
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Though it is possible it can be pricey to do it right with new axles and all, don't replace OEM axles with CV joints allowing greater articulation, they will pop on you when you least need them to.

Super ATV sells the most comprehensive kit minus the shocks with more stroke to increase travel overall.

Honda Pioneer 1000 6" Lift Kit

From the above you could get properly tuned Walker Evan's shocks and spring rates to address the altered suspension geometry. Purely guessing could get travel up to 13" travel up from OEM 10.9" due to additional clearance IF you don't get silly with tire diameters (read no bigger than 28") But the shocks would have to have longer stroke to do this.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Though it is possible it can be pricey to do it right with new axles and all, don't replace OEM axles with CV joints allowing greater articulation, they will pop on you when you least need them to.

Super ATV sells the most comprehensive kit minus the shocks with more stroke to increase travel overall.

Honda Pioneer 1000 6" Lift Kit

From the above you could get properly tuned Walker Evan's shocks and spring rates to address the altered suspension geometry. Purely guessing could get travel up to 13" travel up from OEM 10.9" due to additional clearance IF you don't get silly with tire diameters (read no bigger than 28") But the shocks would have to have longer stroke to do this.
I searched on the forum for the "no bigger than 28" you mentioned but I did not find it. I just got new wheels and I am working on getting the high lifter arms abs 30" next month. Do you have any input on the larger tires?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I searched on the forum for the "no bigger than 28" you mentioned but I did not find it. I just got new wheels and I am working on getting the high lifter arms abs 30" next month. Do you have any input on the larger tires?
Is your machine the LE with I-4WD? If not you are interposing information specific to the LE models with shorter axles than all other Pioneer 1000 models.

Judging from your avatar you have a 1000-5 Deluxe in camo. Still my advice to the original poster asking about his LE model applies, everything I posted earlier is true but with a slightly better margin of error due to smaller differentials and longer axles on the model you own. If you are not careful you with start popping CV joints with those aftermarket A Arms with built in lift and forward placement.

Still your machine and money, so proceed as you desire. Nobody would post that thier new A Rms are the reason they are breaking axles, tire size has nothing to do with CV angle and binding during articulation and tight turning.

Buy all the confidence you want and be prepared to double that amount for proper axles to handle it.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is your machine the LE with I-4WD? If not you are interposing information specific to the LE models with shorter axles than all other Pioneer 1000 models.

Judging from your avatar you have a 1000-5 Deluxe in camo. Still my advice to the original poster asking about his LE model applies, everything I posted earlier is true but with a slightly better margin of error due to smaller differentials and longer axles on the model you own. If you are not careful you with start popping CV joints with those aftermarket A Arms with built in lift and forward placement.

Still your machine and money, so proceed as you desire. Nobody would post that thier new A Rms are the reason they are breaking axles, tire size has nothing to do with CV angle and binding during articulation and tight turning.

Buy all the confidence you want and be prepared to double that amount for proper axles to handle it.

don’t forget the wheel offsets and spacers to clear true 30’s put more force on tierods and you need to start carrying a quick swap kit and a few extras.

if you have high offsets and spacers and buy the heavy duty tie rods you’re going to break the rack...that isn’t a 10min $20 fix.

Reactions: TripleB
Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Superatv 6" Arms can be used but don't offer much besides making it wide. Texas Tough customs looks to the best kit Ive seen. Includes everything except rhino 2.0 axles. It offers Wheelbase stretch (The most offered with any long arm suspension at the moment) and adds 5 inches on each side. Which means more travel with the same shock. If you plan on rock crawling or going with big tires Id definately spring for some Limiting straps!. I plan on ordering a kit soon!

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Superatv 6" Arms can be used but don't offer much besides making it wide. Texas Tough customs looks to the best kit Ive seen. Includes everything except rhino 2.0 axles. It offers Wheelbase stretch (The most offered with any long arm suspension at the moment) and adds 5 inches on each side. Which means more travel with the same shock. If you plan on rock crawling or going with big tires Id definately spring for some Limiting straps!. I plan on ordering a kit soon!

Theirs only adds the “travel” Gained by the longer arm just like SATV, I haven’t seen a long travel kit yet, just long arm. I would assume it’s because suspension geometry has to change in a way that it’s not bolt on.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!