Inexpensive temp windshield and rear cover

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I was looking for a low cost clear vinyl (temporary use) windshield for my Pioneer P4 (with hard roof) and noticed Cabelas had some on sale for under $25. Since there is nothing out there made specific to the Pioneer, I measured the side to side distance of the front ROPS and it seemed very close to the Rhino ROPS front width. Given the low cost, I ordered both the 47" for the Rhino and the 55" for the 08 ranger (with the idea of returning one, or both, if they didn't fit). The Rhino version fit the front of the Pioneer perfect. Since I had the larger 55", I decided to try it on the rear of my P4, to my surprise, it fit very well.

For less than $50 I have front and rear clear vinyl covers when the need arises. It takes just 2 minutes to install them with the Velcro pull straps. When not in use, they simply roll up to top of ROPS or easily removed and stored behind seat, or up under the hard roof (they roll up very small).

Last weekend I've used them in a sudden rain/snow storm and they worked out really well keeping the elements out of the interior.

Cabelas Item IK-523721 Rhino version clear vinyl windshield 47" x 26" Onsale $24.95 ( 50% off) - Fits Pioneer front (temporary/emergency).
Cabelas item Ik-523721 08 Ranger version clear vinyl windshield 55" x 26" Onsale $24.95 ( 50% off) works as rear cover for Pioneer P4.
Prices are online pricing, but if you visit one of their retail stores, just tell the cashier these are on sale online and they will honor online sale price.

The front vinyl windshield is not intended for full time use; it is intended for interim use or when the weather gets bad. Not bad insurance for less than $50 ( front and rear).
:D

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sweet. I just ordered the front one. Im still on the fence about the whole roof and windshield thing. I like the fresh air and sun. Lol.
But this will work fine. And for $30 shipped you can't beat that.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome that will be perfect until my real ones show up! Thanks!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Fishin,
Got mine in today. What a cheap temporary windshield for when the rain/snow hits.
Fits great too. But I may shorten the straps up a inch so more of the velcro sticks when I get time.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386029279847.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386029279847.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,368
fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
Yep, you can't beat that deal with a stick. I too shortened the straps a bit. The windshield fits pretty well for something it wasn't designed to fit. The wind was blowing really hard today (blowing dust and leaves); I rolled down the windshield and worked out really well. I roll mine up to the top bar and store it up there - tucks up very nicely under the hard top "visor" extension. Once I can get the Holiday bills and my new plow toy paid off, I will order a real windshield at some point. In the interim, this seems to work fine for when I need really need a windshield.

R

Redrider

Jun 3, 2013
Ya, this is a good find. the price want break the bank either. nice.
Thanks.

S

sksshooter

Oct 24, 2013
Glad to see this works well. I had saw it right after getting my p4 and considered it for the short term but wasn't sure about it. After reading this I called up the local cabelas and they did not have one in stock so I went ahead and ordered one. Just FYI for those that may want one. I was told by the guy at cabelas that it was being discontinued so if you want one don't wait to long. I got rained on last weekend and the cold sucked going to the deer stand. I would almost bet money it's colder in this thing than on my atv. I considered making my own gelid with some plexi for a temp solution until after Christmas and once accessories are more readily available. This thing is to cheap and easy tho.

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
Hey fishin2Dmaxx, thanks for the idea. I used a gun rack I had in my truck for the rest of hunting season. I liked the enclosed feel but vision was difficult.

I remembered reading about your idea and liked the look. I checked to see if it was still available and at a deal.
I ordered and received it. I like that I can turn my head and see behind. It still has a feel of enclosed and during warmer months I will remove for the open air experience. At under 25 bucks the price can't be beat. So I killed like three birds with one stone oh! Credit card :lol:

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 987
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 987
fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
Duwops,

Glad to see it worked out for your P2. Just curious, did your order the 08 Ranger 55" width windshield or a smaller version?

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
Packaging suggests that it fix Ranger Xperia hd. Physical measurements clear lens 47x26 overall size is51x30 straps are a little short but easily lengthened with add. Velcro sides are a little short if your looking for perfection but for the price I am glad to have read your write up and then my purchase. Thanks again

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Boy. This really did the trick keeping the cold wind out of my face this past weekend. I am sure glad I bought it.
Thanks fishin, your find saved me from getting wind burn.

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
Fishn2dmax did a solid with this find. I love it as my back window.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I'm really glad to hear these have worked out as well for others as they have for me. Sometimes when my budget is running a little tight, I get creative and look for lower cost solutions that meet my interim needs until I have the proper budget for more accessories. In this case, it also solved my long term permanent need for a back window and will get me through the winter on the front windshield - while I save up for a hard coated split windshield.

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
You know I got the split optical windscreen. I have washed my Pioneer twice and have not had issues with scratches. Just have to be mindful while washing not to scrub glass. I use a 2500 psi washer to clean dirt off and pat dry with terry towel no rubbing. Some have reported wishing they had spent extra bucks for hard coat, but if you take your time this windscreen can save some money.