Initial service

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I was looking at the owners manual to see what is required for the initial service and there is one thing that seems odd to me. It shows changing the motor oil, oil filter, and dct filter as part of the initial service but does not show the transmission oil being changed out. In fact it says the trans oil should be changed every 2 years regardless of the mileage and yet the capacity is only 1.35 qts. I just don't understand why it is not changed after breakin?

H

HondaTech

The subtrans oil is not being pumped anywhere, it's more like a transfer case.

Theres really no bearing surfaces just gears.

If it were mine I'd probbaly swap it at the first service.

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
The initial service has a Note 1 on the valve adjustment. Note 1 says as necessary if the engine is loud? Is this required if the engine is not loud? It's the difference between taking it to the dealer or just changing all the fluids. I don't notice any ticking. Plan on changing all the fluids myself and checking what needs checking.

Reactions: JACKAL
bigblueaz

bigblueaz

Apr 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I changed the trans oil too. I did not check the valves. Ill wait for a while to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

The initial service has a Note 1 on the valve adjustment. Note 1 says as necessary if the engine is loud? Is this required if the engine is not loud? It's the difference between taking it to the dealer or just changing all the fluids. I don't notice any ticking. Plan on changing all the fluids myself and checking what needs checking.

Out of the multiple P1K I've serviced, none have needed a valve adjustment at first service.

Now the 700 and 500s are usually loose, not terrible but noticeably loose.

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
Thanks. That’s what I was looking for. The note implies it doesn’t need to be checked if it’s not noisy. Oil changes are easy and I like doing them. Could manage the valve adjustment but seems a lot for 100 miles on the machine. And my dealer is an hour away and would take 2 weeks to get to it.

all4sho

all4sho

Apr 11, 2019
Byron, Ga
Ownership

1. Talon R
Out of the multiple P1K I've serviced, none have needed a valve adjustment at first service.

Now the 700 and 500s are usually loose, not terrible but noticeably loose.

What should the first service ballpark cost if you did everything with valve adjustment?

R

Reneb3

Oct 14, 2017
Cross sc
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R
What should the first service ballpark cost if you did everything with valve adjustment?
My dealer said $450. That’s why I asked about the valves. The oil and filters were about $90.

H

HondaTech

On a P1K we do 2.8 hours with a valve adjustment. Haven't done a Talon for anyone yet, except a buddy of our GM. Not sure what they charged him.

2.8 hours for us would be about $240 in labor plus parts. So both filters, 6 quarts of oil, washers and O-rings for the covers on a P1K. I think the Talon wanted final drives done @ first service as well.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Slightly unrelated (my apologies), but what is the book time for a valve adjustment on a 500? My dealer quoted me $120-$150 over the phone and I feel like that isn’t going to be the price when I pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just did my 100 mile service for the engine oil and transmission oil. HOLY HELL these things hold a lot of oil compared to what I'm used to with my RZR XP1K, but that's not a bad thing.

Do yourself a favor and put a nest of shop towels in the skid plate underneath the engine/DCT filters. After you've put those there go ahead and add some more on top of those and you might contain the oil spillage lol. There are also 2 drain plugs for the engine oil (one is the oil pan and one is the oil tank) so make sure you drain each of them. The oil pan is a 17mm on the driver's side behind the transmission oil drain plug and the oil tank is more centered toward the rear of the machine and I think is a 13mm if I remember correctly.

Wednomo

Wednomo

May 24, 2019
Nampa Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon R
For the Honda Talon: How difficult would it have been for Honda to just simply state in the owners manual that the engine and DCT both share the same oil reservoir, when you pull the dipstick and check the oil, you are actually checking the engine and DCT oil. I'm a little frustrated as I put way more time in looking for this simple explanation that I share here with you. Also, I've pretty much read the owners manual from cover to cover and nowhere in the book have I been able to find the numbers for the engine and DCT filters. Again, why wouldn't this basic information be in the manual. Engine 15412-HP7-A01 DCT 15412-MGS-D21

Many thanks to this guy, he goes over how to change oil and filters and really help clear up a few things I wasn't understanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: stellarpod
Wednomo

Wednomo

May 24, 2019
Nampa Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was looking at the owners manual to see what is required for the initial service and there is one thing that seems odd to me. It shows changing the motor oil, oil filter, and dct filter as part of the initial service but does not show the transmission oil being changed out. In fact it says the trans oil should be changed every 2 years regardless of the mileage and yet the capacity is only 1.35 qts. I just don't understand why it is not changed after breakin?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!