1,000 mile service

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I hit the 1,000 mile mark, so I'm going to do the standard stuff from the manual, all the inspections and cleanings. I replaced the air filter already and I'm running a UNI pre filter, so I'll clean that. For the oil change I am going to change the filter as well, even though the manual says its not needed. On the sub-trans mine got changed around 200 miles with the recall. The dealership advised to change that in the same interval as the motor oil since the trany in the Talon is abused a lot more than in the Pioneer. I can't really think of any other thing. I did change the front and rear diff fluid for the 100 mile service. Anything else I should address? Are there grease fittings that need greased?

Reactions: CID and Mudwing
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I hit the 1,000 mile mark, so I'm going to do the standard stuff from the manual, all the inspections and cleanings. I replaced the air filter already and I'm running a UNI pre filter, so I'll clean that. For the oil change I am going to change the filter as well, even though the manual says its not needed. On the sub-trans mine got changed around 200 miles with the recall. The dealership advised to change that in the same interval as the motor oil since the trany in the Talon is abused a lot more than in the Pioneer. I can't really think of any other thing. I did change the front and rear diff fluid for the 100 mile service. Anything else I should address? Are there grease fittings that need greased?
I'm also going to grease the wheel bearings.

Reactions: CID and Mudwing
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
In the beginning, when the motor and transmission might be shedding filings, I'll replace both engine and DCT filters as a pair since they filter the same oil (not sure why Honda felt the need for using two filters that way). After several oil changes, I might start changing both filters at every other oil change. It's a cheap economy but I've never seen enough debris in my motorcycle filters to warrant changing every time. That's a while off so I'll have time to reevaluate my 'frugalness'. 🤔 For as much oil that drains out when removing the filters, they have to be removed just to get that oil out of the engine. That alone says 'if you have 'em out, put new ones in'. Excuse my #oleguy ramblings, just talking to myself here. 😊

What size MotoClaws are you running? They're not available in the 30" size I decided on.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the stock size 28's on there. I didn't want to void my warranty by going with a bigger tire. Once the warranty is over, and the Motoclaws are worn down, I'll switch rims and tires. I'll keep the stock rims with the Motoclaws as my summer set for riding down at the river. I have about 500 miles on the motoclaws now and both the rear tires have a slow leak. I'm going to take them into my local mechanic and have them plugged or patched. Where we ride there are lots of sharp rocks and thorn branches. So getting a leak or two is just something that happens. Usually I'll just add some tire slime, or some other brand of sealant, but this time I'm going to see what is actually leaking.

Reactions: CID
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just an update on the tires. Neither had holes in them. Both had debris stuffed in the sidewall that caused a slow leak. One I saw for sure, as I skimmed past a log, and there was some wood jammed in between the tire and the side wall. But it worked it's way out, or most of it did. So those Motoclaws are pretty tough.

I greased all 4 wheel bearings today. I was shocked on how much grease was still in there after 1,000 miles. The hub seems to seal really well keeping water out. I added waterproof grease on all the connections as well.

Reactions: IDIOT and CID
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Aren't the wheel bearings sealed?
First off, I love your picture. That is Hilarious. No on the wheel bearings being sealed. They have a slot in the middle just like the ones on a RZR. You have to buy a wheel bearing greaser. I got a CA Industries one, but others are made as well. You want to buy one that has a hole in the middle of it so you can slip it over the axle.

Reactions: CID and Rednick69
Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
First off, I love your picture. That is Hilarious. No on the wheel bearings being sealed. They have a slot in the middle just like the ones on a RZR. You have to buy a wheel bearing greaser. I got a CA Industries one, but others are made as well. You want to buy one that has a hole in the middle of it so you can slip it over the axle.

Thank you.

I just got schooled on the bearing here in the office. @Josh97stang and I are about to order and share one from CA Tech USA.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thank you.

I just got schooled on the bearing here in the office. @Josh97stang and I are about to order and share one from CA Tech USA.
That is a good call on sharing one. Now how much grease to put in is another debate!! Personally since we ride in a good share of water I put 4-5 squirts of Bel-Ray waterproof grease. And my plan is to do it once a year. But if you ride in dry conditions then a different grease and the amount may be different. One thing is for sure, the Talon is designed to keep the bearing out of the elements much better than my 2016 RZR. Running stock tires we replaced the wheel bearings right at 1,200 miles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!