Inner tube and tools VS spare tire and rims???

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
What are your thoughts on carrying an inner tube and tire spoons vs a complete tire and wheel?

I'm kinda new to the SXS/ATV ownership thing. I have never witnessed a catastrophic tire failure. It was either a small hole that could be plugged or a side wall cut. I have plugs and a compressor. I think a tube could get you home with a side wall cut, please correct me if I am wrong. On most trips, I will have passengers in the rear. I plan on some sort of bed extender for a cooler and fuel cans. I'm not going to have much room left for a spare tire.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I understand lack of space but for me, I've got to have the spare complete wheel AND tire plugs. If a sidewall cut is bad enough, I doubt a tube will last long in there. Besides that, your pioneer has tubeless tires and breaking the bead with tire irons would be a nightmare in a shop, let alone on the trail. I think you'll be very glad you packed a spare when the day comes you need it! Not sure which pioneer you have but a few people have built pretty cool mounts for spares on 700-4's. I'm sure one could adapt their ideas to the 1000 as well. Anyway, my vote is for carrying a spare.

Reactions: allgm1
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
I like the way both of those look, but I'm planning on a bed extender. I'm concerned about the weight hanging that for out. I might have to just hang one of my atv tires off the extender once it is built and see how it works out.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Tube and tools sounds great but did you ever try to break the bead on these utv tires.It a bich

Reactions: Tflynn
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Done a few ATV tires with a sledge. Done pick up tires with a highlift near the bead and the weight of the truck to break the bead. Never tried the method on an ATV tire though.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
There was another one that I can't find that would be perfect for you. It carried the tire on the rear of the p-4 cage up high though, so there would be room for the bed extender and ice chest. I'll try to find it

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!