P500 inspection of frame...after accident.....

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
That second pic where the tie rods are behind the shock...maybe its the angle, but it almost looks like the inner is coming out at an angle compare to the outer. Does it look straight in person?

Also, is it possible that side of the rack has shifted up where it mounts to the frame?

No..everything solid. ..its... clean..had boots
off....I seen no sign of...anything wrong
I don't know...for sure.
but it's a steering problem...
so..start with..steering rack...
don't ya think...

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
No..everything solid. ..its... clean..had boots
off....I seen no sign of...anything wrong
I don't know...for sure.
but it's a steering problem...
so..start with..steering rack...
don't ya think...
I dunno Roc...
Seems like if the rack were bent it would bind at some point, BUT...I'd never say never when it comes to mechanical things. The toothed side is usually flat and should extend out of the housing far enough (esp at full right turn) with the bellows off to eyeball or get a straight edge on.

I'm sorry man. Stuff like this can be tough in person...much less 2K miles away. If you think thats it and can spare the coin...I'm all for getting back on the trail ASAP!

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I dunno Roc...
Seems like if the rack were bent it would bind at some point, BUT...I'd never say never when it comes to mechanical things. The toothed side is usually flat and should extend out of the housing far enough (esp at full right turn) with the bellows off to eyeball or get a straight edge on.

I'm sorry man. Stuff like this can be tough in person...much less 2K miles away. If you think thats it and can spare the coin...I'm all for getting back on the trail ASAP!
I ve done wat you said about...with steering rack..
the knuckles on both ends..are centered..
moves smooth.... back & forth
I just look at logic.....part..
I got a steering...problem...so
Must be steering rack..?
best part of the whole....year
to ride....dammit. ...
thanks for your help

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I ve done wat you said about...with steering rack..
the knuckles on both ends..are centered..
moves smooth.... back & forth
I just look at logic.....part..
I got a steering...problem...so
Must be steering rack..?
best part of the whole....year
to ride....dammit. ...
thanks for your help
What the hell...GO FOR IT!!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Id try measuring each side to a known point. Like center of balljoint or mounting point to a point back on frame same on each side(a hole or something. )
Maybe point wheel hubs straight one side at a time, measure center of front hub to center of rear hub?
Poke around like that....it should show up something that measures out from side to side ....that maybe doesn't look out.
Hard to just look at it to see bent parts sometimes.
In my past life rebuilding car salvage , misalignment could be found with measurements ....in absence of a frame rack.

I recommend you measure center hub to center hub (axle nut) front to rear on each side with the front wheels straight as you measure each side left and right both the left and right should be same distance for wheelbase, if the left side is shorter the frame is twisted which is why the left side kicks out no matter what.

Your measurements should be 73" front to rear each side, if right side is over 73" and left side is less than 73" most definitely have frame alignment issues. (Providing measurements taken properly)

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I recommend you measure center hub to center hub (axle nut) front to rear on each side with the front wheels straight as you measure each side left and right both the left and right should be same distance for wheelbase, if the left side is shorter the frame is twisted which is why the left side kicks out no matter what.

Your measurements should be 73" front to rear each side, if right side is over 73" and left side is less than 73" most definitely have frame alignment issues. (Providing measurements taken properly)
Ok thanks...did alot of ,measuring. ..
& 73" ..
is on both sides...nothing twisted. .
one cracked weld...
going with..upper & lower
A-arm..& ball joint....replacement. ..
thanks again

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok thanks...did alot of ,measuring. ..
& 73" ..
is on both sides...nothing twisted. .
one cracked weld...
going with..upper & lower
A-arm..& ball joint....replacement. ..
thanks again
Was just throwing that out there, seemed like nothing else was making a difference after reading all the post. Glad it isn't a twisted frame.

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Was just throwing that out there, seemed like nothing else was making a difference after reading all the post. Glad it isn't a twisted frame.
I'm gonna..replace..everything...that hooks to that tire..
see where it goes...I have no other choice.....
thanks for your input...

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
No sign of a arms...damage
I can put tire back on..
if need to...View attachment 56616 View attachment 56617 View attachment 56618 View attachment 56619
In the second picture down, it looks like the frame is bent at the upper front control arm mount. It looks wrinkled, but hard to tell in the picture for sure. Look at the frame where all the control arm mount points are. Something has to be bent to cause your issue. Take off the hood and compare side to side. Does the hood still fit properly? Does the door line up properly? Check the hub where the tie rod connects, that may be bent as well. It's very difficult to see impact damage when it's spread over a large area of frame, but there's no escaping that you have something bent. Taking the other wheel off and just step back and look it over from that side, might help to see something wonky. Try to refrain from just buying parts till you find the problem. If there's a collision repair shop near you, take the machine there and have one of the guys look it over- they have an 'eye' for seeing that kind of damage. Wish I could be more help.

Reactions: rocmar and chrisC
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
In the second picture down, it looks like the frame is bent at the upper front control arm mount. It looks wrinkled, but hard to tell in the picture for sure. Look at the frame where all the control arm mount points are. Something has to be bent to cause your issue. Take off the hood and compare side to side. Does the hood still fit properly? Does the door line up properly? Check the hub where the tie rod connects, that may be bent as well. It's very difficult to see impact damage when it's spread over a large area of frame, but there's no escaping that you have something bent. Taking the other wheel off and just step back and look it over from that side, might help to see something wonky. Try to refrain from just buying parts till you find the problem. If there's a collision repair shop near you, take the machine there and have one of the guys look it over- they have an 'eye' for seeing that kind of damage. Wish I could be more help.
A -arms..in the mail...
I'm upgrading parts...other wheels
off...

New ball joints..in the mail...
gonna ..see where that takes me..
from center hub nut...to
center hub nut..73"
....on both sides...frame is fine..
just waiting on parts..
have cracked weld..on bottom shock
mount....
thanks for your input...
appreciate it
thank...

Reactions: R-Lamm
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm very sorry for your troubles. It's pretty tough to tell what is going on with the lower arm disconnected in the pictures. I'm assuming it must still be way off. Like everyone said please let us know how everything turns out.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm very sorry for your troubles. It's pretty tough to tell what is going on with the lower arm disconnected in the pictures. I'm assuming it must still be way off. Like everyone said please let us know how everything turns out.
Yeah..when took pic..
was in process of removing
both A-arms..upper / lower
got new one coming..by weeks end
....along with new ball joints..upper / lower
for both sides..up front...
I'm hoping...that will fix my....troubles
.... $297
In coin...alot of time..doing stuff
..not in my wheelhouse..
I wrecked...it
Hope I can fix it....

Reactions: tjoreo and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah..when took pic..
was in process of removing
both A-arms..upper / lower
got new one coming..by weeks end
....along with new ball joints..upper / lower
for both sides..up front...
I'm hoping...that will fix my....troubles
.... $297
In coin...alot of time..doing stuff
..not in my wheelhouse..
I wrecked...it
Hope I can fix it....

That sucks. Yeah, I would probably take mine somewhere to get it fixed if I did that to mine, they'd know what they were looking at more than I would.
On the bright side it's in your wheelhouse now, might as well ride it like @CumminsPusher ! :D

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That sucks. Yeah, I would probably take mine somewhere to get it fixed if I did that to mine, they'd know what they were looking at more than I would.
On the bright side it's in your wheelhouse now, might as well ride it like @CumminsPusher ! :D
More like @WillyBill shouldve seen that man up here on a 500:)

Reactions: rocmar and trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I called dealer...
they said..they wanna put
it on a rack..to check frame...
1st..before any work to front
end...was started..
If frame. .twisted...or damaged
...they refuse to do any work...
I feel..with internet..& help..
I can do it...myself

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I called dealer...
they said..they wanna put
it on a rack..to check frame...
1st..before any work to front
end...was started..
If frame. .twisted...or damaged
...they refuse to do any work...
I feel..with internet..& help..
I can do it...myself

That means if the frame's bent then it's totaled and it'll never drive right again. I'm guessing you don't carry insurance on it?

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
That means if the frame's bent then it's totaled and it'll never drive right again. I'm guessing you don't carry insurance on it?
No..not totaled. .seen lots of rides with
bent frames..crusing on our highways..
means..you'll go through tires quicker
...I've pulled skids...went over..frame
with fine tooth comb..my A-arms are bent...got new
in route....have liability insurance....if someone gets hurt...
....not for damage...
could happen to anyone..BEWARE
..video shows...rocks LURKING..in the
shadows...BAM..
...SH-T HAPPENS..
I will fix..upgraded axles..
ball joints...upgraded tie rod
ends.....=
More of a TANK ...than when.I bought
it...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!