P700m4 Installing full size auxiliary battery ?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You guys are killing me.. just when I have myself decided on a dual setup with the odessey you go and cast doubt on me.
The dual battery has its distinct advantages, do not be disconcerted from your incipient plan Grasshopper!

Reactions: JTW
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just got off the phone with Dennis at DFNA. The guy that designed and manufacturers the True product. I will be adding the newest isolator SBI-15. After talking to him for 1/2 hour i think this is the best solution to my wants. I will just add a larger battery and installing one of his isolators. Only need 1wire between the main battery and the second battery with the isolator in series and then ground Auxiliary battery. Then i will use Auxiliary battery for all my extra devices. Only using OEM battery for factory installed devices.

Reactions: JTW and Tflynn
C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
I removed the factory battery, and went with a car battery under the seat for two main reasons. First I live in NH and it gets cold here in the winter and my 700 doesn't care for sitting in the unheated shed for a week sometimes then trying to start it. So I wanted the extra cold cranking amps to help here. Second reason is because while plowing last year with the heater being used intermittently, the stock battery/charging could not keep up.I only had to stop once for a few minutes to let it charge, but I have heat and I want to use it. I have a stereo that is wired (for now) to shut off with the key so I don't really have a need for any accessories to be used while its not running, so for me a second battery is not needed. Plus I like to keep things simple, a single battery with as few connections as possible so minimal chances of failure out on the trail.
sorry about the crappy pics, heres the under view
View attachment 29589

View attachment 29590

I put some tabs on three sides (the fourth side is right next to the plastic side panel) for some 1/8" aluminum sides for stick/heat shields.
View attachment 29591

View attachment 29592

I thought I had some pictures of the battery installed before I put the side back on but I guess I didn't. I can say that this upgrade is well worth. I haven't had any problems starting it in cold weather,in fact I find it starts a lot easier this year and for the few times I have plowed with it this year it seems to not run the battery down that much with the tunes blaring and heater on.
What heater are you using?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

E

ezhoops

Nov 18, 2014
Tram, what larger battery did you go with?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been running a Yellow Top under the drivers seat now for 2 years and no problems.
IMG 0185

I chatted with the guy that bought my 700-4 a while back, he is still running the Optima under the drivers seat I put there in late 2013. Its 4 years old now. Only had to replace brakes and perform reg scheduled maintenance, he was right at 3000miles back around August I think.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Tram, what larger battery did you go with?
Not sure I sold the 700 a few months back. I would say a mid range size, not big but to the smallest. I did make sure it had the threaded connectors.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm going to redo that for you. I'm trying to do (3) five syllable words in that sentence. :D
Dual batteries assemblage has it's distinguishably predominance, do not be discountenanced from your preliminary aspirations. How's that?

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
View attachment 59456

I chatted with the guy that bought my 700-4 a while back, he is still running the Optima under the drivers seat I put there in late 2013. Its 4 years old now. Only had to replace brakes and perform reg scheduled maintenance, he was right at 3000miles back around August I think.

Hey ..
Like your battery setup in the 700.. My question is: What is the best way to extend the pos and neg cables over from the other side? How did you connect the stock pos and stock negative cables to your larger cables that you extended over to the other side, and how did you route them and what length..
Thanks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks.

75” cables in 1” loom and zip tied clear of anything they could rub on. If you can get longer or make your own cables 75” is the SHORTEST I could use.

I used this bus blocking made sure the winch cable connector was sandwiched in between the battery feed and pioneer main cable so the bus block was barely carrying any capacity.

Standalone Stud-Type Junction Blocks

Reactions: Deluxe700
R

Reddragon

Oct 15, 2015
Sorry I am so late to this... haven't been on in a while...here is what I did on my P700-4.

Built a battery tray and U bolted it to the the two bars under drivers seat. Added a true-am-dual-battery-isolator.html between the two seat belt latches for the front seat. Added a dual battery voltage meter in the dash....ran my LED's and radio on the AUX battery... winch is still on factory battery. Hope this helps...haven't even put a battery tender on anything....and machine sits for maybe a month sometimes.

IMG 3982 IMG 3987 IMG 3993 IMG 3994 IMG 4008 IMG 3997

T

The Welder

Nov 22, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I removed the factory battery, and went with a car battery under the seat for two main reasons. First I live in NH and it gets cold here in the winter and my 700 doesn't care for sitting in the unheated shed for a week sometimes then trying to start it. So I wanted the extra cold cranking amps to help here. Second reason is because while plowing last year with the heater being used intermittently, the stock battery/charging could not keep up.I only had to stop once for a few minutes to let it charge, but I have heat and I want to use it. I have a stereo that is wired (for now) to shut off with the key so I don't really have a need for any accessories to be used while its not running, so for me a second battery is not needed. Plus I like to keep things simple, a single battery with as few connections as possible so minimal chances of failure out on the trail.
sorry about the crappy pics, heres the under view
View attachment 29589

View attachment 29590

I put some tabs on three sides (the fourth side is right next to the plastic side panel) for some 1/8" aluminum sides for stick/heat shields.
View attachment 29591

View attachment 29592

I thought I had some pictures of the battery installed before I put the side back on but I guess I didn't. I can say that this upgrade is well worth. I haven't had any problems starting it in cold weather,in fact I find it starts a lot easier this year and for the few times I have plowed with it this year it seems to not run the battery down that much with the tunes blaring and heater on.
Hello. This is my plan exactly. My 2019 700-4 deluxe despises the -40 C here in northern Alberta. I fab’d up a battery holder to go under the driver seat and purchased an AGM 600 CCA battery. Also changed oil to lightest winter oil from Honda. Also will add on a small oil pan heater. I’m really hoping this helps with cold starts. I’ve tried the prescribed method of starting to no avail. With a very weak booster it took 9 tries (in a cold unheated garage) over 20 tries with no booster. That original Honda battery is garbage. I’ll also try the NGK iridium plugs down the road.

Reactions: swsebek
T

The Welder

Nov 22, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
It’s installed finally. And works lol. I installed a Magna Charge brand group 47 AGM. a piece of rubber on the base of the bracket and where it bolts down to the structure. Lessen the vibration I hope. I also ran #2 wire for leads (It was the only wire in our shop which we use for stingers when welding, no issue with any current). Installed a marine breaker where the old GYZ16 Yuasa battery positive lead was and a negative terminal. Hooked up the battery blanket and the SAE trickle charger plug for Junior. Oh also installed a Canadian Polar pad 75 watts (2”x3”) on the right side of the oil pan. Hopefully this will cure the nasty nasty nasty cold Canadian winter starts. See what happens.
Hello. This is my plan exactly. My 2019 700-4 deluxe despises the -40 C here in northern Alberta. I fab’d up a battery holder to go under the driver seat and purchased an AGM 600 CCA battery. Also changed oil to lightest winter oil from Honda. Also will add on a small oil pan heater. I’m really hoping this helps with cold starts. I’ve tried the prescribed method of starting to no avail. With a very weak booster it took 9 tries (in a cold unheated garage) over 20 tries with no booster. That original Honda battery is garbage. I’ll also try the NGK iridium plugs down the road.
I
Hello. This is my plan exactly. My 2019 700-4 deluxe despises the -40 C here in northern Alberta. I fab’d up a battery holder to go under the driver seat and purchased an AGM 600 CCA battery. Also changed oil to lightest winter oil from Honda. Also will add on a small oil pan heater. I’m really hoping this helps with cold starts. I’ve tried the prescribed method of starting to no avail. With a very weak booster it took 9 tries (in a cold unheated garage) over 20 tries with no booster. That original Honda battery is garbage. I’ll also try the NGK iridium plugs down the road

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!