It shut down on me!?

pete_plp

pete_plp

Feb 15, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Hello everyone,

I’m a relatively new Honda talon user, having driven less than 400 miles on a 2021 1000x-4 fox Live.

I experienced a very puzzling behavior of my machine, and I was wondering if anyone experienced something similar before or would know a possible cause:

While riding with some friends over the weekend, we ended up taking a trail with a very steep hill - hard to say the steepness degree but was prob close to be worth a black diamond. The 3x 2 seaters machines in front of me really struggled with traction, up to a point I was wondering if it was a good thing to engage with a 4 seaters. Regardless, I went up on 4wd, low gear and in the steepest part my right front wheel started losing traction, and then the weirdness thing happened; I pressed the gas, even more, to get over it and the machine just shut down on me!? I immediately shut the key off, restarted, reengaged 4wd, low gear and HSA… but it happened again right after losing traction and then again… a 3rd time. At that point it was getting dangerous to go back given that I was losing power steering control when it was shutting down, so I got my passengers out, and we tried to go back just a little bit enough but to get more traction (as it was too dangerous to reverse all the way back down)

One rider then suggested that I try 4wd, Low but in Manual mode instead of automatic, which did the trick and got me up with way less struggles.

During the day, I then tried more reasonable hills, and it worked like a charm in manual mode. I was also able to keep it at higher rpm giving me the wheel power without issue

So we came up with the theory that the automatic mode was probably trying to shift gear at some point and was struggling to do so…but why the shutdowns on steep hill!?

Thank you in advance for any inputs

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Hello everyone,

I’m a relatively new Honda talon user, having driven less than 400 miles on a 2021 1000x-4 fox Live.

I experienced a very puzzling behavior of my machine, and I was wondering if anyone experienced something similar before or would know a possible cause:

While riding with some friends over the weekend, we ended up taking a trail with a very steep hill - hard to say the steepness degree but was prob close to be worth a black diamond. The 3x 2 seaters machines in front of me really struggled with traction, up to a point I was wondering if it was a good thing to engage with a 4 seaters. Regardless, I went up on 4wd, low gear and in the steepest part my right front wheel started losing traction, and then the weirdness thing happened; I pressed the gas, even more, to get over it and the machine just shut down on me!? I immediately shut the key off, restarted, reengaged 4wd, low gear and HSA… but it happened again right after losing traction and then again… a 3rd time. At that point it was getting dangerous to go back given that I was losing power steering control when it was shutting down, so I got my passengers out, and we tried to go back just a little bit enough but to get more traction (as it was too dangerous to reverse all the way back down)

One rider then suggested that I try 4wd, Low but in Manual mode instead of automatic, which did the trick and got me up with way less struggles.

During the day, I then tried more reasonable hills, and it worked like a charm in manual mode. I was also able to keep it at higher rpm giving me the wheel power without issue

So we came up with the theory that the automatic mode was probably trying to shift gear at some point and was struggling to do so…but why the shutdowns on steep hill!?

Sounds like a live valve specific, front wheel speed sensor issue…………

I’ve never experienced it in my non live X4.

I wonder if you have a bad ground, or bad connection that fails when there is wheel-hop? (Vibration)

Unless you were low on fuel?
Doesn’t seem probable though.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You've already figured out the issue. When in auto the ecm will shift at a given rpm relative to throttle input, etc. I've run into similar situations in mud but never had it shut down completely, usually it will bog and I was able to catch it before it stalled. As a rule if I'm in low range I'm also in manual.

pete_plp

pete_plp

Feb 15, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
You've already figured out the issue. When in auto the ecm will shift at a given rpm relative to throttle input, etc. I've run into similar situations in mud but never had it shut down completely, usually it will bog and I was able to catch it before it stalled. As a rule if I'm in low range I'm also in manual.
Ouf! I would prefer this explanation. 😰 sheetmetalfab scared me for a bit.. I relocated my gauge cluster and swapped the live valve module… but no issue so far

thank you all for your inputs

3E554356 DE76 477A 960C 3C4CAC84D023

Hilgart2017

Hilgart2017

Jan 3, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello everyone,

I’ve had that problem before on my 19 talon tried to go up a steep muddy hill in 4-hi in automatic and it died on me. Swapped over to low gear and it was good. Although mine bogged down because of the mud which is the main reason it died on me, but I’d assume the steepness of the hill put too much of a load for the gear it was in in auto which caused it to die out. And since u swapped to manual u were able to keep it in a lower gear which gave the extra torque to get u through it. Generally low gear manual is the way to go in these machines ,at least from my experience, when dealing with steep hills. Hope this helped

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I got myself into a little trouble one time in my Talon and I believe the steep angle I was momentarily stuck in caused a low oil pressure situation and the Talon shut off. I restarted it and it shut off again. I honestly don't remember if the oil light came on or not but I was able to winch myself out of the situation and once I was on more level ground she started right up without any more issues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!