BOX1

Jackson Turbo new firmware

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
they finally released the new launch mode for the 19 and 20. and now support the 21. just updated mine. worked fine. launch mode works. had a issue relearning the clutch. after a successful relearn it shut off engine when ever i put it in gear and would not restart until its in park. did a relearn again and now its fine. i have been told it is a finicky process and some times it fails.

how many of you do a relearn once and a while? i have noticed after a few hundred miles of beating on it, the clutch engages later(almost feels like a worn belt engaging), i do a relearn and it is then fine. thoughts?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
they finally released the new launch mode for the 19 and 20. and now support the 21. just updated mine. worked fine. launch mode works. had a issue relearning the clutch. after a successful relearn it shut off engine when ever i put it in gear and would not restart until its in park. did a relearn again and now its fine. i have been told it is a finicky process and some times it fails.

how many of you do a relearn once and a while? i have noticed after a few hundred miles of beating on it, the clutch engages later(almost feels like a worn belt engaging), i do a relearn and it is then fine. thoughts?
I have done the clutch relearn process a couple times and it failed and did the same thing to me once and my machine is bone stock. Scared the crap out of me, thought I broke something. Like you, I tried again and it worked. Made my clutch engagement MUCH better, especially when shifting in the higher gears.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
H

HondaTech

If the unit is cold and a "L" appears on the dash (it can be tall or short) the unit will not move until the key is cycled.

This a normal condition.

Your saying Jackson released Launch Mode for the turbo kit?

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
yes i have launch mode now will test it tomorrow if weather permits

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
ran a few 0 to 60's best was a 5.95 sec on mud in 4wd

side note.. ran with a buddy and his x3 broke his secondary on first pull LOL

they also changed the tune a bit.. they didnt say they did but it ran alot richer than before the update.

Slow-Poke

Slow-Poke

Nov 9, 2020
Nor Cal
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey Mac.. How does the launch control work? Physically.. Do you hold down a button, or hold the brake or? I have the JR kit, but never have heard of any updates.. or launch control. tx

H

HondaTech

Hey Mac.. How does the launch control work? Physically.. Do you hold down a button, or hold the brake or? I have the JR kit, but never have heard of any updates.. or launch control. tx

I believe its hold the brake, hit the sport button, then hold it down until it flashes.

Pull both paddles in, full throttle, let off the brake and paddles.

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
yep thats it but you have to update the firmware

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
yep thats it but you have to update the firmware
Has anyone run into a problem that it doesn't auto shift when taking off with launch mode? I only got to play with it a little bit before putting the talon away for the winter. Even when I launch at about 7000 rpm It launches with all four tires spinning like crazy but almost immediately hits the rev limiter and doesn't auto shift to a higher gear. I don't know if it doesn't shift in this situation to protect the transmission. Even before I installed the turbo I would run into this when accelerating hard in low range. Also i find the lag from the time you let go of the paddles to the time that it takes off to be longer than I'd like. If you were drag, racing your opponent would have such a jump on you that it wold be hard to make up in a short drag. Don't want to sound like a complainer. I love my Talon and wouldn't give it up for any belt drive machine and the Jackson turbo has runs flawless for me.

Would be interested in seeing more 0-60 times posted of Turbo and stock Talons. I'm wondering if mine is an under achiever. My 0-60 on pavement, 2wd, stock tires, with the original Jackson tune, was 6.5 secs. This was with a phone app, not a Draggy so I don't know how accurate it is. Didn't get a chance to try it with the latest tune. You can see my 4wd on dirt acceleration run on you tube

Reactions: JimmyA
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
6.5 is very close. here are my runs with draggy

stock on pavment 7.0 s was my best with no spinning
stock jackson 6.15 8lbs of boost
boosted jackson 5.55 on dirt in 4wd with 14lbs of boost

havent had a chance to get it out on dry pavment to see what it does.

yes the machine wont shift right away when bouncing the rev limit. but when it picks up some traction it will grab a gear. i noticed the same thing on dirt road mainly. i even tried to manually shift it and it still wont shift right away. even in 4wd

scoutt

scoutt

Sep 11, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R

2. w/Turbo
Also i find the lag from the time you let go of the paddles to the time that it takes off to be longer than I'd like. If you were drag, racing your opponent would have such a jump on you that it wold be hard to make up in a short drag. Don't want to sound like a complainer. I love my Talon and wouldn't give it up for any belt drive machine and the Jackson turbo has runs flawless for me.
We had ours out in the sand over new years and I felt that lag. But a buddy of mine said to wait until it hits the limiter, (when it starts popping) which is about 8.5-9k rpm and then let go, lag is gone then. My buddy also said that his would start out in manual mode then shift into auto. Maybe that is by design? I didn't notice it on mine but I wasn't paying attention either. lol

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
We had ours out in the sand over new years and I felt that lag. But a buddy of mine said to wait until it hits the limiter, (when it starts popping) which is about 8.5-9k rpm and then let go, lag is gone then. My buddy also said that his would start out in manual mode then shift into auto. Maybe that is by design? I didn't notice it on mine but I wasn't paying attention either. lol
Thanks for that info. We are snowbound right now so I won't get a chance to try it until this spring.

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
6.5 is very close. here are my runs with draggy

stock on pavment 7.0 s was my best with no spinning
stock jackson 6.15 8lbs of boost
boosted jackson 5.55 on dirt in 4wd with 14lbs of boost

havent had a chance to get it out on dry pavment to see what it does.

yes the machine wont shift right away when bouncing the rev limit. but when it picks up some traction it will grab a gear. i noticed the same thing on dirt road mainly. i even tried to manually shift it and it still wont shift right away. even in 4wd
What do you mean stock Jackson, and boosted Jackson.

H

HondaTech

Any rough guesstimate on what that N/A Talon with the Hess stage 2 kit is making at the wheels?

I think we were told 120, but it felt like more to me.

We raced the Hess kit we did against my GMs Jackson Turbo, the N/A car got the hit and pulled a little but the Turbo was reeling it in.

The shifting on the N/A was much crisper and harder hitting.
That car got pistons as well as the ported head and camshaft, also had HMF exhaust.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!