Talon jasond's Talon 1000R

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
189 miles this weekend at Tackett Creek. Very cool place to ride and they've got some really challenging stuff to get into. Hell's Canyon is an interesting trail for sure and Slate Wall...good lord. That's entertaining to sit and watch people climb.

Now just waiting on Krash to finish up my cage and will service my machine between now and then ahead of the next trip.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
189 miles this weekend at Tackett Creek. Very cool place to ride and they've got some really challenging stuff to get into. Hell's Canyon is an interesting trail for sure and Slate Wall...good lord. That's entertaining to sit and watch people climb.

Now just waiting on Krash to finish up my cage and will service my machine between now and then ahead of the next trip.
Yep, Did you try slate wall? I have been there twice and once we went down hell's canyon but have been up No Business twice. lots of opportunity for carnage on some of those trails but gosh some great riding and awesome scenery

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yep, Did you try slate wall? I have been there twice and once we went down hell's canyon but have been up No Business twice. lots of opportunity for carnage on some of those trails but gosh some great riding and awesome scenery

Negative on trying slate wall aside from just sizing it up and rolling back down.

I’m confident the machine would do it, but that’s an obstacle where the risk just isn’t worth the reward in my opinion.

If a guy messes up on that one he’s going to have an expensive repair bill and maybe an ER bill.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Negative on trying slate wall aside from just sizing it up and rolling back down.

I’m confident the machine would do it, but that’s an obstacle where the risk just isn’t worth the reward in my opinion.

If a guy messes up on that one he’s going to have an expensive repair bill and maybe an ER bill.
O yea... it is much steeper in person. that is for sure..

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Glad you had fun! We Love Tackett Creek! So much area to cover and cool things to go see! I have taken my Talon X up Dragons back, up Widowmaker, V-notch, No Business, etc... My boys and I are planning to go back down in few weeks for a "ride and camp" along the trails when we get tired. We stayed at the Tackett shack last time and really enjoyed it! Where did you stay at?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Glad you had fun! We Love Tackett Creek! So much area to cover and cool things to go see! I have taken my Talon X up Dragons back, up Widowmaker, V-notch, No Business, etc... My boys and I are planning to go back down in few weeks for a "ride and camp" along the trails when we get tired. We stayed at the Tackett shack last time and really enjoyed it! Where did you stay at?

I’ve been up Dragon’s Back, down Widowmaker, up Hell’s Canyon, and will hit No Business and V-Notch next go round.

I stayed in an AirBnB in LaFollette. Would like to get something closer to the TC trails next go round.

Reactions: Hometeam
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Yeah there aren't many options that I could find over in the Tackett Creek area. The Tackett shack was very nice and 2 mi from trailheads. You can find information about it on their Facebook page. The owners were really nice and if you have a bigger group and someone has a camper they also have electric for a camper hookup out front.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
1249 miles now on my machine and just completed the 3rd engine oil and sub-transmission oil changes (100, 600, and 1200 mile intervals).

During this oil change I did add Lucas Oil Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer to my sub-transmission oil. I added 300 mL of Lucas Oil Stabilizer of the 1.3 L to fill it. My primary reasoning is to improve the overall lubricity and shifting smoothness. I haven't ridden it enough yet to say whether or not it seems to make a difference, but the stabilizer is like molasses so once it coats those gears I can't imagine it not helping. Since the sub-trans is, essentially, just a transfer case with gears and the clutches don't contact the sub-transmission oil I don't foresee any issues, but time will tell.

My prior RZR experiences had me checking wheel bearings, brake pads, and the prop shaft/carrier bearing that doesn't exist 🙌. Brake pads still appear to be 40-50%, wheel bearings are nice and tight, and obviously there's no prop shaft/carrier bearing to fool with. To say this makes me extremely satisfied would be an understatement...this is one of the primary reasons I jumped ship as quickly as I did to the Talon and hopefully I'll get thousands more trouble-free miles.

Update RE: the Krash cage - still awaiting completion and the windshield frame is being laser cut by another business he works with. He's planning to use the laser cut frame from mine as a template to make the option available going forward on future customer orders. I'm more than willing to wait for quality work, though.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My buddies found this Lucas full synethic 10w40 motorcycle oil with Moly. I'm using the Honda 10w40 synthetic blend with Moly and it had an amazing improvement.

10w40syn moly10w40syn moly lrg

Reactions: jasond
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Giving credit where credit's due and recognizing excellent customer service:

CA Technologies revised their shift gate to accommodate the need for a longer Low range shift lever throw distance. I reached out to them after having noticed the first version of the product didn't always allow me to fully engage Low.

They sent me the new version of the gate free of charge and it works flawlessly now:

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The cage, roof, and windshield frame are headed for powder coat tomorrow. Getting closer everyday.

D88E5001 6794 4623 B0E5 C2EDFFCAE189

Reactions: CID and TerryH
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well, I’m happy to report that my wait is over. Just did the 8 hour round trip to pickup my Krash cage and got it home. Had to unwrap it like a Christmas present and look it over. The craftsmanship and quality is unreal on this thing.

Here are a few teaser shots of it and I’ll have a video and more pictures of it installed coming this week:

F3911BC6 97EB 4CEF ADF4 B1E4B4BC7D9C5A0D8146 6195 491B 8719 2A7603AB904FAAE3F8EE 7956 42FC BDB9 B36C86717812DF85EB31 0CE3 408C 8900 BF13B94C97B5AF4F3077 ECD2 4097 A64B 463F04073E11B2ABE262 B173 40F8 BFDE CD49193559C7EF047DAC 58D1 4CC0 8E29 E7F0AAA8B70D

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The cage is officially on and I'm a satisfied customer. It fits like it should and Krash nailed my one-off requests for whip tabs, a mirror bung, light bar tabs, and wrapped it all up with excellent quality/fit/finish.

For those of you curious about height I'm 6'2" and it's roughly a 3" drop in the rear at the b-pillar. No headroom issues at all even with the aftermarket seats that lift me up about 1.5 - 2".

Video coming very soon and I'll add it here as soon as it's edited/uploaded.

IMG 0909IMG 0910IMG 0912IMG 0913IMG 0914IMG 0915IMG 0916IMG 0917IMG 0918IMG 0919IMG 0920IMG 0921IMG 0922IMG 0923IMG 0924IMG 0925IMG 0926

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That looks really good. Factory but not factory. My favorite cage so far!

Reactions: jasond
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That looks really good. Factory but not factory. My favorite cage so far!

Thanks - I'm all about clean lines myself and that's what I got!

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got to test out the Shock Therapy DRS kit this past weekend. I'll keep this brief: this mod is dollar-for-dollar the best money I've spent on a SxS to date. The slow speed chop/chatter harsh characteristic that the Talon 1000R has is nearly non-existent now with this kit. I don't think it'll be necessary with the amount of improvement I've gotten from just springs, but I bet a re-valve combined with these springs would be unbelievable in terms of ride quality.

I'm usually riding between 5-20 mph in wooded/rocky trails and my goal was to get a more plush ride. This kit met and exceeded my expectations and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a similar riding style (can't speak for you West coast guys or fast riders).

IMG 0847IMG 0848

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Jason
What is the chance of getting a copy of the wire schematics out of ur manual

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!