Talon jasond's Talon 1000R

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
EDIT - changed the steering wheel adapter/hub over to an Assault Industries adapter. The cheap eBay option worked, but developed some play and was driving me nuts.

Changed my steering wheel out to a Chinese clone of an OMP steering wheel. For $58 bucks (they accepted my eBay offer after a bit of haggling) this wheel is incredibly nice and I may upgrade to a Hess Motorsports quick disconnect like @TerryH used in the future.

I did have to cut the wheel adapter down on the "neck" of the adapter to bring the wheel closer to the shift paddles, but it was a 2 minute process with my portable band saw. I also removed the black plastic cover/shroud that was on it.

Link to Steering Wheel: 320mm Leather Superqua Flat Steering Wheel For OMP MOMO Hub Red Stit Red Stripe | eBay

Link to Adapter: Assault Industries Steering Wheel Hub

IMG 2767IMG 2769IMG 2770 IMG 2768

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryH and CID
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I’ve been busy here lately, but finally got some shop time this week and got around to a few things. Finished installing the L&W Fab high clearance a-arms this evening. They definitely squeezed every bit of clearance they could get out of these a-arms and I’m very pleased with the fitment. I double and triple-checked that the axles don't rub the a-arms while it was up on my lift and they do not rub.

NOTE - I ordered these in a raw finish and had a local powder coating company do the powder coating since L&W isn’t currently offering red.

If you’re going to do any sort of a-arm modifications do yourself a favor and invest in a ball joint separator. These ball joints are crazy in how much it takes to remove them from the a-arms. Just get the right tool for the job for $20 at Harbor Freight and save yourself a headache and beating with a hammer.

View attachment 141678 View attachment 141679 View attachment 141680
How do you like the L&W a arms? Did you notice any difference in the handling or suspension? I like the clearance and heard they are about 7lbs heavier per side than the stock a arms. I’ve damaged 2 of the factory a arms already and recently went to 32’s, They help with the clearance but could always use more. Appreciate your videos, I’ve watched several as I’m doing my own upgrades and they have been very helpful.

Reactions: jasond
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How do you like the L&W a arms? Did you notice any difference in the handling or suspension? I like the clearance and heard they are about 7lbs heavier per side than the stock a arms. I’ve damaged 2 of the factory a arms already and recently went to 32’s, They help with the clearance but could always use more. Appreciate your videos, I’ve watched several as I’m doing my own upgrades and they have been very helpful.

I can’t say enough good about them and I haven’t noticed any difference in handling or steering.

Just make sure and use a ball joint separator if you don’t already have one. It makes the job exponentially easier to do when replacing them.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Changed my steering wheel out to a Chinese clone of an OMP steering wheel. For $58 bucks (they accepted my eBay offer after a bit of haggling) this wheel is incredibly nice and I may upgrade to a Hess Motorsports quick disconnect like @TerryH used in the future.

I did have to cut the wheel adapter down on the "neck" of the adapter to bring the wheel closer to the shift paddles, but it was a 2 minute process with my portable band saw. I also removed the black plastic cover/shroud that was on it.

Link to Steering Wheel: 320mm Leather Superqua Flat Steering Wheel For OMP MOMO Hub Red Stit Red Stripe | eBay

Link to Adapter: Prelude 92-96/Accord 90-97 Jdm Hub Adapter Kit Fit 6-Hole Steering Wheel Black | eBay

View attachment 183816View attachment 183817View attachment 183818View attachment 183819

Looks good Jason. I literally had that same wheel ordered from a place that showed it to be in stock in the US. They sent me a tracking number but it never shipped. Finally gave me my money back after telling me that it was lost in the warehouse. It's a nice looking wheel. Just didn't want to wait on the slow boat from China.

Reactions: jasond and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking good, how are you liking the Talon so far?

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks good Jason. I literally had that same wheel ordered from a place that showed it to be in stock in the US. They sent me a tracking number but it never shipped. Finally gave me my money back after telling me that it was lost in the warehouse. It's a nice looking wheel. Just didn't want to wait on the slow boat from China.

It took about 3 weeks to get here so you’re spot on with the slow boat comment. I also made sure to Clorox wipe everything that arrived given all the flu and corona virus happenings.

However, I’m definitely pleased with the wheel so I’d buy it again.

Reactions: TerryH
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
It took about 3 weeks to get here so you’re spot on with the slow boat comment. I also made sure to Clorox wipe everything that arrived given all the flu and corona virus happenings.

However, I’m definitely pleased with the wheel so I’d buy it again.
I have a Fomo from the slow boat. Looks great, worth the wait. I could buy 5 for the price of one momo. Its on ebay with the logo blurred out, looks legit. Used the prelude adapter to start and have the hess racing adapter on the way.
Ordered before the coronavirus. Remember when the Corona-virus was too many beers and a dirty hooker in Tijuana?

Reactions: TerryH
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looking good, how are you liking the Talon so far?

Missed this post Russ.

It’s been a good machine up to this point and I think it’s built to last a lot of miles. I’m looking forward to seeing what Honda does in the next few model years; they’ve done quite a bit just in the little while that the Talon has been public knowledge so I think it’s only up from an already good machine.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Missed this post Russ.

It’s been a good machine up to this point and I think it’s built to last a lot of miles. I’m looking forward to seeing what Honda does in the next few model years; they’ve done quite a bit just in the little while that the Talon has been public knowledge so I think it’s only up from an already good machine.
Good to hear.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here's the latest bit of tinkering I've been doing with my machine. This post is my "results" post from the thread where several of us have discussed improving the Talon 1000R's turning radius.

I took my time before posting a response so that I could put some real trail miles on and test for issues. I've got 104.6 miles on the X rack with steering stops. Those 104.6 miles were down in Tennessee at the Royal Blue trail system across all trail difficulties with Dragon's Back and Widow Maker being the most difficult terrain. If you aren't familiar with this terrain......I tested the $h!t out of this setup.

I'm happy to report that my mods are working great and the turning radius has noticeably improved. I was not able to use the full rack travel that the X model has, but I was able to reclaim 3/16" of travel on each side of the rack.

3/16" + 3/16" = 3/8" more total usable steering rack travel. It may not sound like a huge improvement, but it was noticeable in switchback mountain trails and I"m satisfied with the return on my investment.

So, without further ado, here's what I did:

Important Note
  • I cannot confirm whether or not this modification will work with stock Talon 1000R lower a-arms. I have L&W Fab high-clearance lower a-arms and they appear to give more clearance for the wheel & tire when the wheel is at full turn/lock. OEM lower a-arms will likely rub the wheel/tire, but I cannot say for sure. Try at your own discretion.
Parts:
  • 53840-HL6-A01 - BOX, STEERING GEAR (Talon X steering gearbox)
  • SSK-002 - Steering Stop Kit from SuperATV. I had to call and order this kit. It was not available directly from their website to order. They have a Polaris kit listed that you can order that will not work for this application. The SSK-002 kit is included with the Talon 1000X forward a-arm kit [AA-H-TALX-1.5-HC-02].
Install & Overview Video:

Photo Comparison of 1000R vs 1000X Steering Gear Boxes:

X gearbox = shiny new part
R gearbox = dirty part

IMG 2708
IMG 2711
IMG 2712

advertisement
FoggyMtnBreakdown

FoggyMtnBreakdown

Lifetime Member
Dec 22, 2019
LaGrange, Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do the PRP seats compare to your stock seats? Is the suspension seat a noticeable upgrade? They look like they hold you in place better as well?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
How do the PRP seats compare to your stock seats? Is the suspension seat a noticeable upgrade? They look like they hold you in place better as well?
@Lil_Steve had PRP GT S.E. seats that he took out and replaced with the stock seats, maybe he'll compare the two. I spent 3 days riding with him at the SxS rally in Hurricane, Utah and got tired of climbing over the outside bolsters getting in and out. We stopped a lot and it got old quickly IMO. The longer your days and the number of times you're in and out will make the difference. fwiw: I'm no spring chicken - the climb out got old.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had the PRP GT seats in my old YXZ. I agree on teh side bolsters. I had the outside one on wifes seat lower to stop the b****en. It did help plus I put heat in it at same time. Different models have different amounts of side bolster. If running harness have to take it out to get seat out (just saying, but guess would with stock seats too.) I am happy with the Talon seats.

Reactions: IDIOT and CID
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

@CID comments are spot-on. The side bolsters are my only real con about them when getting in and out.

In addition, the way the Talon is designed it makes it a little worse than say my old RZR when climbing in and out. I’m in my 20s so it’s really not that big of deal for me, but I can see where some older folks wouldn’t want the hassle

However, the comfort is night and day better than the stockers and once you’re in the seats you’re in the seats. They really do a nice job of keeping you planted and the suspension effect is noticeable in the seat of your pants. The seats do raise you up a couple of inches as well.

My 2 cents = if you can get a set with low side bolsters they’d be the ticket.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

@Lil_Steve had PRP GT S.E. seats that he took out and replaced with the stock seats, maybe he'll compare the two. I spent 3 days riding with him at the SxS rally in Hurricane, Utah and got tired of climbing over the outside bolsters getting in and out. We stopped a lot and it got old quickly IMO. The longer your days and the number of times you're in and out will make the difference. fwiw: I'm no spring chicken - the climb out got old.

As mentioned, the seat bolster is a bit high and can limit the ease of getting in/out. As far as comfort, the PRP seats are much more comfortable but for me and the passengers I normally carry, the high bolster is a deal breaker. It is an upgrade compared to the stock seat and they definitely hold you in place better, especially when used with a harness.

Reactions: CID
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Added a Brute Performance heel rest/throttle control assist this past week and put about 25 trail miles on it this weekend.

I’m really a fan of this mod. It helps tremendously with the low-speed jerkiness In rough terrain and I would have loved to have had this when I first got my machine and was getting used to the throttle sensitivity.

70B7E34A 53A4 4CCA 8C72 DD9960364E1B

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here’s a little preview of some big changes coming to my machine courtesy of Krash Offroad. I’m really looking forward to getting the final product home and installed.

8A8E86DC C6D7 41D3 BF4D DEF45401DDF3

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Holy Crap!!! :eek: How many miles do you have now?

Reactions: jasond
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!