Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Do we happen to have a John Deere diesel mechanic in the house???

Reactions: moparornocar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What's your problem?
RATS! They're worse here in NM than anyplace else I live. So I was doing some work yesterday and I kept smelling diesel. I got down and looked around and finally noticed it dripping out the bottom. So I opened the hood and found a huge rats nest on top of the motor. I killed it and began cleaning it out. Then when I could see all the hoses and lines I restarted it and sure enough, there was a small hole eaten through a very small (approx 1/4-5/16") fuel line.
The problem is, it's not a line that can be removed and replaced just itself. This is a component that comes off a steel block which has two or three fuel lines in and out of it. Now it has a fuel line clamp at the point it comes off that steel block, but it goes up to the first cylinder into a plastic valve which appears to be attached to an injector with a metal clip. The line is factory pressed onto that plastic valve, no clamp. Then, the fuel line leaves the other side of that plastic valve, same way, no clamp, just seemingly pressed onto it, and continues over to the second cylinder into another plastic valve attached to the top of another injector and so on to the fourth cylinder.
The leak is in the line between the second and third cylinders. It appears that this is a single part, from the steel fuel distribution block, thru the fourth cylinder. I'm not being able to look this part up, identify its name/part number?? Think you can help? It's a 2012 JD 4044M Thanks

J

JTW

RATS! They're worse here in NM than anyplace else I live. So I was doing some work yesterday and I kept smelling diesel. I got down and looked around and finally noticed it dripping out the bottom. So I opened the hood and found a huge rats nest on top of the motor. I killed it and began cleaning it out. Then when I could see all the hoses and lines I restarted it and sure enough, there was a small hole eaten through a very small (approx 1/4-5/16") fuel line.
The problem is, it's not a line that can be removed and replaced just itself. This is a component that comes off a steel block which has two or three fuel lines in and out of it. Now it has a fuel line clamp at the point it comes off that steel block, but it goes up to the first cylinder into a plastic valve which appears to be attached to an injector with a metal clip. The line is factory pressed onto that plastic valve, no clamp. Then, the fuel line leaves the other side of that plastic valve, same way, no clamp, just seemingly pressed onto it, and continues over to the second cylinder into another plastic valve attached to the top of another injector and so on to the fourth cylinder.
The leak is in the line between the second and third cylinders. It appears that this is a single part, from the steel fuel distribution block, thru the fourth cylinder. I'm not being able to look this part up, identify its name/part number?? Think you can help? It's a 2012 JD 4044M Thanks
Well that sucks!! I'll forward to my buddy and see if he can answer!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Thanks a lot man, I totally appreciate that!

Reactions: JTW
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might try cutting the line where the hole is chewed and putting a connector. Just a thought

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
You might try cutting the line where the hole is chewed and putting a connector. Just a thought
Thanks for that idea! The line between the plastic body valves is only about four inches each, and the hole is very near the valve (1/2" or so) and I don't know if I could get something in there or not. The inside diameter of this line is surprisingly small, perhaps 3/16". I'm going to buy a couple of tiny clamps and a tiny plastic (or metal if available) barbed coupling/connector and see if I can make that repair. Thanks sharp!

Reactions: sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Could you just cut out the bad piece of hose and splice a new one in ?
Thanks a bunch Chooglin, it's a good idea to attempt, if I can get something in there, I may be operational, but I'm still going to want to replace this fuel harness because there's other areas frayed from the bastard chewing around so it may be weakened in multiple spots. I just need to find somebody that can help me figure out a part number so I can get it coming in the mail. Your suggestion is much appreciated and I'll be attempting that this afternoon.

Reactions: sharp and Chooglin
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well it worked, barely. The smallest barbed connector I could find was brass 3/16". Closest town is 12,000 and 35 miles away. The line between the two valves is only 3.5" and I cut it at the hole and had a devil of a time getting it slid in. I was able to get past two barbs on one side, and just one barb on the other. But with the tiny clamps, it held with no leaks so far. I worked the tractor for about three hours yesterday evening. I'll still need to replace this fuel harness, but thanks again for the suggestions @sharp and @Chooglin!!

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Did you ever talk with your buddy? I'm still needing to get a part number for that fuel harness if you get a chance. I just don't know what it's called and I can't seem to find a picture of it in any schematics that I've looked at??

J

JTW

Did you ever talk with your buddy? I'm still needing to get a part number for that fuel harness if you get a chance. I just don't know what it's called and I can't seem to find a picture of it in any schematics that I've looked at??
I did.. I haven't heard back from him though. I'll holler at him tomorrow!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!