Need Mechanic Advice - 2001 Dodge Dakota.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any Mechanics around. Looking for some advice.

I have a 2001 Dakota, V8, 4.7, quad cab sport, 4x4.
Lights on - ABS, Park Brake, Check Engine, Air bag, and speed-o does not work.
Check Engine code reads - P0500 = Speed Sensor A
All the issues seem to be related as they come and go at the same time.

Replaced - rear diff ABS speed sensor, Trans Input, and output speed sensor.
No fix.

Does not have front ABS at the hubs. Also I don't think there is a sensor at the front diff?

Back story.
Last fall it started messing up ONLY when the tilt steering wheel was all the way down and up 1 notch. Here it would cause these same issues. Tinkering around with steering column wires I found 2 for the airbag clockspring that when touched or moved around I could control the issue. Off/On/off/on depending on which way I pulled them. Over time this became worse and has stopped helping.

I replaced the rear speed sensor on the diff over the winter, this seemed to help but still sporadicly had the issue. It was helping enough that it only occasionally caused all the issues up until this week. So Friday I replaced both the input and output speed sensors on the transmission. Now the lights are on 100% and no longer sporadic. I replaced the rear diff sensor again with a new one. No fix.

Also reinstalled the old speed sensors looking for the sporadic-ness to come back again. didnt work. 100% lights still. So switched back to the new sensors.

Pulled off the air bag and checked for connectivity through the clock spring. Seems well.
Snipped the wires in the steering column close to the main harness. the ones that I could touch back in the fall. it had connectivity. Resoldered them back together.

Now I am lost and need some suggestions.
I will be swing by a shop tomorrow looking for their thoughts.

Thanks.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
LOL I hate car electronics/ electrical. I did a blower fan resistor on a '00 chevy van for my brother in laws company van last winter cuz the heat stopped working. Simple job, took 2 minutes and the fan worked great, while I was working on it though I had wiggled the ground wire that comes off the battery to the inner fender just to make sure it was tight which it was. SO I left and went home. My phone rings a few hrs later, it was the operator of the van telling me the van wouldn't start, I'm like WTF??????, I went down and looked it all over, it would turn over,but not start. For Sh1ts and giggle I pulled that round off.cleaned it, applied some dielectric grease and put it back together and it started. I'd seriously check all of them grounds,I'm not familair with dodge products but I know they can cause funny problems on our cars also. Have you gone on any dodge boy forums and ask them? Thats what I do with the wifes pathfinder. Good luck @Hondasxs I know exactley how you are feeling right now.
PS I know you were lookin for mechanic advise,I am no mechanic at all, I just wanted to add my $.02

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @allgm1,
I have been all over the dodge forums. Found lots of similar issues and just as many that dead ended with no follow up on solution.
Most claim the speed sensors are the issue.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just have to love computer technology. My son's 2004 Chevy truck has two codes tripped and we have replaced both elements/switches that the computer calls for and the codes still appear. Now with the states new inspection requirements, it won't pass even though it has been like this for the last 10 years and the truck runs fine.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
From your description I would be looking at the SRS reel (or clock spring in hondasxs speak) or related steering column wires.
But my expertise is limited to Honda products, and Studebaker, and Ferguson (yes I have a thing for picking losers)
So, in the spirit of saying something useful, do I need to swing by and pick you up for the takeover?

I find it a bit disconcerting that the wire harness in new cars is the thickest thing in the steering column anymore.
I had a '46 Studebaker truck that had exactly one wire in the column.
Of course the horn wire would twist back and forth and need periodic replacement but at least I knew which wire it was.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got to figure something out in a hurry. New truck is on the Christmas list. If the dealer says it will be a grand + to fix then Christmas will be here next week.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Sometimes a trade is the best solution to your problem.

Reactions: Plumber32
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Kbb says 1300 trade. 2300 private sale.
I just spent 1000 on tires. Lol.

Hope the tires fit your new ride.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you followed the wire harness down to the dash to check for corrosion or shorts? I've had 3 Dakotas, seems to me there was an issue with water infiltration through the cowl causing wiring issues in some years.

Reactions: sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Kbb says 1300 trade. 2300 private sale.
I just spent 1000 on tires. Lol.

Hard to justify or make sense out of throwing $1000 more at a $1000 ride.

(what's going to break next?)

Reactions: JTW
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotta have reliable transportation. And safe at that.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

No fix.

Does not have front ABS at the hubs. Also I don't think there is a sensor at the front diff?

Back story.
Last fall it started messing up ONLY when the tilt steering wheel was all the way down and up 1 notch. Here it would cause these same issues. Tinkering around with steering column wires I found 2 for the airbag clockspring that when touched or moved around I could control the issue. Off/On/off/on depending on which way I pulled them. Over time this became worse and has stopped helping.

I replaced the rear speed sensor on the diff over the winter, this seemed to help but still sporadicly had the issue. It was helping enough that it only occasionally caused all the issues up until this week. So Friday I replaced both the input and output speed sensors on the transmission. Now the lights are on 100% and no longer sporadic. I replaced the rear diff sensor again with a new one. No fix.

Also reinstalled the old speed sensors looking for the sporadic-ness to come back again. didnt work. 100% lights still. So switched back to the new sensors.

Pulled off the air bag and checked for connectivity through the clock spring. Seems well.
Snipped the wires in the steering column close to the main harness. the ones that I could touch back in the fall. it had connectivity. Resoldered them back together.

Thanks.
Gotta have reliable transportation. And safe at that.
Might be time to trade up.

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3

No fix.

Back story.

Thanks.

Have you pulled a code for the abs? Given the fact that all the lights come and go at the same time, and it seemed to effect them with the steering column, sounds like a bad power feed from the ignition switch. Curious if scan tool will communicate with abs, trans, and restraints modules. Those are the first things to start with. Then get a wiring diagram and dig in. Good luck. Electrical issues can be a pain to find sometimes but usually easy to fix. Good luck! If you do get other codes let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hondasxs
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you pulled a code for the abs? Given the fact that all the lights come and go at the same time, and it seemed to effect them with the steering column, sounds like a bad power feed from the ignition switch. Curious if scan tool will communicate with abs, trans, and restraints modules. Those are the first things to start with. Then get a wiring diagram and dig in. Good luck. Electrical issues can be a pain to find sometimes but usually easy to fix. Good luck! If you do get other codes let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ABS code is one of the reasons for seeing the dealer tomorrow. Update u then.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I hit a deer in my Dakota. I stomped the brakes so hard the ABS sensor (under the truck about where the passenger sits) jammed and never worked again. The ABS fault light stayed on for the next two years.

You indicated a lot of other problems but have you had a reason to stomp the brake hard? or hit anything?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Make any progress with this yet boss?
I keep watching for the announcement that the registration fee for the take over has gone up.
Small increase, maybe a 1/2 ton with an eco boost turbo.
Big increase, full on 4x4 crew cab, diesel belching compensation machine.
Years ago some one at my work printed out a paper banner that said "Men purchase trucks to make up for perceived inadequacies" and they hung it up on the wall.
Big witch hunt but they never did figure out who did it (it was funny until I saw the managers walking around with pitchforks and torches).

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope.. One auto shop wouldn't help me.
Have an appointment at dodge place Wed.
Found a second shop I here is good.
Also test drove this today.
00b921f68a1ef97cb0e605f99b8ccf68.jpg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!