Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Beyond the 1 to 2 year estimated timeline to construct the pipeline and the temporary work that that provides, the Keystone pipeline will create just 50 perminent jobs. That's the net gain in helping Canada get their dirty oil to market.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
At what cost? The environment? Our health? Come on...sometimes people just need to pull their heads out of their asses, and put personal prejudices aside, and think of future generations who will be stuck with polluted land long after we are gone! Really guys?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The oil if already coming into America on Warren Buffets trains. Now think which is safer a pipeline or a train car.

Reactions: pFive
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: Eltobgi
advertisement
R

rmk700

Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 0133

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have tried to stay out of this conversation for many reasons, first is that I live only hours away from the "dirty oil", second that the economy EVERYWHERE in Alberta depends on our oilfield and third it has the potential to become very heated, and third I have a great deal of respect for everyone here, on both sides of the boarder and thoroughly enjoy the conversations.

While I don't claim to be fully in the know of all the details but here is what I do think I know.

First and by far the most important, the media has blown out of proportion the oil sands and dirty oil. There is a picture of a duck or bird covered in oil that has been circulated through the media more times than I can count. I have been through some of the mines and while it is not the cleanest, the fact is the oil was there before, some sitting on the ground. If I understand correctly the natives would take their canoes up to water proof them. Yes it takes more to extract the oil from the sand but the oil companies do return the land to a clean state afterwards.

Second, Sjc3081, I believe you are correct. It's not that the pipelines are going to carry more oil, it will be replacing the train cars carrying the oil south. Sending the oil through a modern pipeline is safer. The technology in place to build and monitor will ensure this. And with the older pipelines we hear leaking, you can be sure that the regulations, inspections, monitoring and everything around a major pipeline like this will make it as safe as possible.

I agree that the pipeline being pushed through is causing more issues than we could possibly imagine, it should have been negotiated properly. A couple things Trump has added to this I agree with for the most part. Using USA steel for the pipeline is better than getting it from overseas. He will also renegotiate the royalties so there will be more profits from the oil flowing through will benefit more than just Canada, and in a greater amount than originally proposed.

I also think we as neighbours should be helping each other and not getting the oil from the Middle East.

I spent 14 years as GM technician, but with the economy going in the toilet I had to keep feeding my family, so I used the skills I got from the Fire Department and branched out into EMS. I am seeing people half my age now trying to kill themselves. I went to a patient a couple days ago who has been unemployed for 1.5 years now, cannot find a job so he drank way too much and tool whatever pills he could so we could go to sleep and not wake up. While I think he is a dumba$$ for not saving properly and not having options for himself, there are simply few to no jobs here unless your highly skilled.

Again, this is my opinion.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have tried to stay out of this conversation for many reasons, first is that I live only hours away from the "dirty oil", second that the economy EVERYWHERE in Alberta depends on our oilfield and third it has the potential to become very heated, and third I have a great deal of respect for everyone here, on both sides of the boarder and thoroughly enjoy the conversations.

While I don't claim to be fully in the know of all the details but here is what I do think I know.

First and by far the most important, the media has blown out of proportion the oil sands and dirty oil. There is a picture of a duck or bird covered in oil that has been circulated through the media more times than I can count. I have been through some of the mines and while it is not the cleanest, the fact is the oil was there before, some sitting on the ground. If I understand correctly the natives would take their canoes up to water proof them. Yes it takes more to extract the oil from the sand but the oil companies do return the land to a clean state afterwards.

Second, Sjc3081, I believe you are correct. It's not that the pipelines are going to carry more oil, it will be replacing the train cars carrying the oil south. Sending the oil through a modern pipeline is safer. The technology in place to build and monitor will ensure this. And with the older pipelines we hear leaking, you can be sure that the regulations, inspections, monitoring and everything around a major pipeline like this will make it as safe as possible.

I agree that the pipeline being pushed through is causing more issues than we could possibly imagine, it should have been negotiated properly. A couple things Trump has added to this I agree with for the most part. Using USA steel for the pipeline is better than getting it from overseas. He will also renegotiate the royalties so there will be more profits from the oil flowing through will benefit more than just Canada, and in a greater amount than originally proposed.

I also think we as neighbours should be helping each other and not getting the oil from the Middle East.

I spent 14 years as GM technician, but with the economy going in the toilet I had to keep feeding my family, so I used the skills I got from the Fire Department and branched out into EMS. I am seeing people half my age now trying to kill themselves. I went to a patient a couple days ago who has been unemployed for 1.5 years now, cannot find a job so he drank way too much and tool whatever pills he could so we could go to sleep and not wake up. While I think he is a dumba$$ for not saving properly and not having options for himself, there are simply few to no jobs here unless your highly skilled.

Again, this is my opinion.
Thanks for your opinion, please never hesitate, I especially appreciate your cantor. Getting oil from the Middle East means continued wars. The only other thing I would add is that most of the people that oppose these pipelines oppose the continued dependence upon fossil fuels to provide our energy needs to begin with (myself included) and prefer that we'd invest properly in R&D to seriously address alternatives.

Last edited:
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not skilled enough to find the article but the Obama administration researched this a few years ago and determined the pipeline while not their choice would be better on the environment long term than the pollution created from trucking and train cars to get the oil down here. One way or another, we are getting it down here...

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for your opinion, please never hesitate, I especially appreciate your cantor. Getting oil from the Middle East means continued wars. The only other thing I would add is that most of the people that oppose these pipelines oppose the continued dependence upon fossil fuels to provide our energy needs to begin with (myself included) and prefer that we'd invest properly in R&D to seriously address alternatives.

I agree fully that we need to transition away from fossil fuels. Personally I'm glad it's not up to me. How do our leaders balance it the need for increased taxes to move away from fossil fuels and the need for a strong economy? We in Alberta got a new carbon tax as of Jan 1st. Now EVERYTHING is more expensive. We see it first with fuel. Gas went up 0.046$ per L or about 0.20$ per gallon. How that's going to shake out in the end, we will see. All I know is that riding will continue to get more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!